Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 12:12 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times

Advertisements

I haven't seen them for years. Is it just where I'm looking, or have they been gone for awhile now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 12:14 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
I see them all the time, often they are free with the mattress purchase or discounted as a set.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:55 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times
We bought one 3 years ago. They didn't have a king so we had to get two singles.

Cat

Old 03-19-2017, 02:52 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,542,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
We bought one 3 years ago. They didn't have a king so we had to get two singles.

Cat
I've never seen a king mattress with a single box spring. Always come as two.

OP: Sounds like you've been out of the mattress market for a while. Be aware most box springs now come in two heights. If you get some super tall mattress you might want to get the short box spring so you don't need a step ladder to get in bed.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:32 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I haven't seen them for years. Is it just where I'm looking, or have they been gone for awhile now?
What are you seeing platform beds that don't need box springs and just use a mattress?

Old 03-19-2017, 08:05 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
A lot of beds use slats and bunky boards. This eliminates the need for box springs and allows for drawers in the bed frame. We have a king size bed in each of our houses. One has slats and bunky boards and the other has two full size box springs (never seen a king size box spring...would be too awkward to move in tight spaces.) One was bought in 2014 and the other was bought in 2015.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:19 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Good question! We bought a Sleep Number and put it on top of a platform bed. It works quite well.

The last mattress box springs set I have bought was about in 2001, for my adult kid who was moving away.

There are lots of options in beds now.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:25 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,776,727 times
So apparently you've not set foot in nor driven past a mattress specialty shop? Because they ALL have row upon row of beds set up with mattress AND box springs.

For that matter, one single simple web search would turn up tons of mattress/box spring combos.

No, they are not anywhere near being abandoned.

A bed frame that comes with only 3 or 4 slats is intended to be used with a box spring. So if you need a "bunky board" - and whoever came up with that name must be an idiot - its because your frame was made with a box spring in mind. When I was a kid all bed frames came with 3 or 4 slats, but then most bed frames were wood and had both a head and a foot board. Nowadays the metal frame with no slats is the most common type of frame - and certainly the cheapest.

Without a box spring you need a specialty platform bed, which I have only seen online - but then I've not gone looking for one as I have a perfectly good mattress/box spring set up that I'm not in the market to replace. These platform beds are much much higher than a "standard" bed frame to make up for the height you lose by eschewing a box spring. I assume they exist in fancy wooden versions but the only ones I've seen are metal types with extra tall legs so that you're not having to crawl up out of a bed that is only a few inches off the floor.

My son just bought a new queen mattress and box spring last year. No trouble finding a box spring, rather the opposite.

Box springs are still the standard. A box spring protects the mattress and all mattress warranties require the use of the mattress with a box spring. They may actually be on their way out as some seem to be implying (I kind of doubt that), but if you think they actually don't exist any more all I can say is it must be where you are looking.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:11 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
I've got nine 2 X 4 slats on my antique bed and still have a reduced height (5") steel boxspring on top of that. It would be almost impossible to shift the all latex mattress if the boxspring wasn't there (nice flat surface). As it is, I have to get my two yard guys to rotate it, as the weight and floppiness make it like a beached whale. I've actually nicknamed the mattress "Moby ****", lol.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:56 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
I've never seen a king mattress with a single box spring. Always come as two.

OP: Sounds like you've been out of the mattress market for a while. Be aware most box springs now come in two heights. If you get some super tall mattress you might want to get the short box spring so you don't need a step ladder to get in bed.
Box springs USED to not be enclosed--
They were w/o any padding or cloth covering--just bare metal springs

Depends on the mattress and the bed frame as to whether you need a box springs
Some foreign styles like Ikea beds use wood slats vs box springs

And I definitely agree that if you have a choice the lower box springs are a better height choice--especially for older people
We have two homes--have taller bed frame and taller box spring/mattress set in TX house--
That takes much more effort for me to get into bed--my husband is taller so not as much problem for hom
In FL house we bought lower bedframe style, and got lower box springs--MUCH easier to get in/out of bed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House