Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 08:21 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,228,154 times

Advertisements

It is beyond worth it....why spend your precious time cleaning if you can afford not to? I pay $20 per hour and mine stays 2.5 - 3.5 hours and I have 1600 square feet (no kids or shedding dogs).

Do it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 08:24 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
When I lived in a 2 bedroom condo rather than spend my weekends cleaning, doing laundry, etc. I did a little bit each night during the week; bathrooms one night, dusting the next, etc. Takes 30 minutes and my weekends were mostly free. I did this even when my kids were at home.

We did have two different cleaning services when we had a house but I wasn't impressed with their work. Maybe I didn't make my wishes clear but I wanted somebody to do the deep cleaning: under the furniture, the baseboards, ceiling fans, etc. When I complained to the agency that the woman didn't even vacuum the dust bunnies under the sofa she told me they aren't expected to move furniture. While I understand that in some cases my couch was sitting on tile floors and it could be moved with one finger.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:12 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,254,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Bring one or two in and ask how them how much time per week to do what tasks...
and how much they'll charge you per visit.

At face... I'll say that you probably aren't efficient with HOW you go about doing it.
Maybe some "how to" lessons would be a better use of your money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-0J_jgVu5Y
she didn't even do the whole bathroom. lol, wiping down the bathroom countertop is not cleaning the bathroom - what about the tub and the toilet and the floor?

that video was great if you are just tidying up, but i don't consider that cleaning.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
When I lived in a 2 bedroom condo rather than spend my weekends cleaning, doing laundry, etc. I did a little bit each night during the week; bathrooms one night, dusting the next, etc. Takes 30 minutes and my weekends were mostly free. I did this even when my kids were at home.

We did have two different cleaning services when we had a house but I wasn't impressed with their work. Maybe I didn't make my wishes clear but I wanted somebody to do the deep cleaning: under the furniture, the baseboards, ceiling fans, etc. When I complained to the agency that the woman didn't even vacuum the dust bunnies under the sofa she told me they aren't expected to move furniture. While I understand that in some cases my couch was sitting on tile floors and it could be moved with one finger.
i have tried this but to me it's just as bad as spending 1 big chunk of time doing it.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:50 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,541,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post

I support this approach. What else would a person be doing at night after work - sitting around watching TV? Also, once the kids are old enough, these tasks get added to their chore lists. I could see cleaning help being useful if the people in the house work long, exhausting schedules.

I will admit, it is a point that my wife and I disagree on. At various times in our marriage she has had a cleaning person come in. It usually lasts a few sessions and then they either slack off and/or she feels she needs to clean after them to get the place up to her standards. Then the cleaning person idea is off the table for a few years.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:52 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,639,614 times
We have a cleaning woman, plus her 2 helpers, every three weeks. They are good but they are starting to get on my nerves because they never put things back in the proper place. I think they view it as proof that they cleaned it but it is not necessary, and drives me insane. I started putting a note on the bedroom door that says, "Please do not clean this room, thank you."

Old 03-30-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
I support this approach. What else would a person be doing at night after work - sitting around watching TV? Also, once the kids are old enough, these tasks get added to their chore lists. I could see cleaning help being useful if the people in the house work long, exhausting schedules.

I will admit, it is a point that my wife and I disagree on. At various times in our marriage she has had a cleaning person come in. It usually lasts a few sessions and then they either slack off and/or she feels she needs to clean after them to get the place up to her standards. Then the cleaning person idea is off the table for a few years.
Yes id rather sit and watch tv and relax than clean haha thats the whole point! After a full day of work i want to go to the gym, shower and cook dinner at the point its already 8 so im definitely plopping on the couch after that, not scrubbing toilets and sinks.

Old 03-30-2017, 02:55 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,961,718 times
I have a housekeeper, but I find myself picking up before she arrives so she doesn't think I am a slob.

Old 03-30-2017, 03:16 PM

711 posts, read 688,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
I have a housekeeper, but I find myself picking up before she arrives so she doesn't think I am a slob.
LOL - yes, this!

I have a lady who comes to clean every three weeks. As another poster said earlier, my house is generally clean but when she leaves it sparkles! It's also a good impetus to get us to pick up and put away those random things that get abandoned on the couch, kitchen island, etc.

In 8 years with the same person, we've only had two issues where something got moved and we couldn't find it quickly. If I'd have put those things away beforehand it wouldn't have been an issue. If I have things out that I'm not quite ready to move yet (like a stack of papers I've sorted but can't put away) I just ask her to ignore that area.

As another poster said, I'd give up a lot of other things before giving up having my house cleaned for me. It's a bit of an indulgent treat and I have no qualms about it!

Old 03-30-2017, 03:16 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
We have a cleaning woman, plus her 2 helpers, every three weeks. They are good but they are starting to get on my nerves because they never put things back in the proper place. I think they view it as proof that they cleaned it but it is not necessary, and drives me insane. I started putting a note on the bedroom door that says, "Please do not clean this room, thank you."

You should tell them that you don't like the fact they don't put things back. Remember YOU are the boss and if they don't do things to your satisfaction, they can be replaced.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House