Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 05:28 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,547,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
No a house just the garage covers the entire first floor just like pictures posted in my OP.
ok I must need coffee. you explained this in the OP .........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 06:23 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,385 times
Quote:
I plan on building a small house under 1000 sq ft. on top of garage. Just curious what people think of this setup? I want to do this for many reasons but mainly i like the feel of being up above everything. Also the breeze coming in the windows in the spring and summer nights will be awesome. Lastly better security because it's harder to break into a house on the 2nd floor.

I can't find many examples online of houses like this because i guess it's not a popular setup.
(1st paragraph).........."Just curious what people think of this setup " ..

As with many, many posters on city-data, a poster starts a thread under the guise of asking for opinions and then seems to take offense or get snarky when people give an opinion that isn't favorable .

same old , same old

Old 03-30-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Ok so what would the difference be with a garage attached to the side of your house? Again homes are built above garages all over the country.

Weird use of land? There are plenty of homes built on large amount acres where most of the land is not even used.

Wish me luck on my endeavor building a house? hmm I'm sorry but your thoughts and concerns are certainly odd to say the least.

Here's another picture these houses are built all over the place at the shore. Lookout the place is gonna blow!!! they park the cars in the garage lookout!!! hahahaha
sounds snarky

Old 03-30-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Nice way to dodge the ownage i gave you and you are still making up stuff. So why don't you respond to your concern of vehicles being parked in a garage underneath a living quarters is so dangerous?

Not sure why you are being so hard headed against homes that are built the way i'm describing. If you don't want to live in a house like what i describe that's fine but don't make up stuff just to hear yourself
sounds snarky

Old 03-30-2017, 07:35 PM

23,585 posts, read 70,350,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post

As with many, many posters on city-data, a poster starts a thread under the guise of asking for opinions and then seems to take offense or get snarky when people give an opinion that isn't favorable .

same old , same old
Yep. Gets old after a while. On usenet the reaction would be very very blunt.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:02 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,673,750 times
Near my summer house there are many of them, but all of them are accessory structures either set behind the main house or accessible via the alleys.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:53 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,585,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post

same old , same old
There is a difference of opinions and clear trolling. Someone saying the place will burn down because you park cars in the garage and they have fuel in them is simply trolling. The whole purpose of garage is to park a car in it.

Maybe you are new to the internet and can't tell a troll from a honest reply but i'm not new to this.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:04 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,418,641 times
Quote:
After more google searching under various terms i'm finding more and more. I guess just in my current area i don't see it much.
There's a reason for that. Homes such as you are proposing are much more common in urban or beachside areas where land is at a premium and it is necessary to use every available square foot of the lot in order to accommodate the garage and house on the same acreage. On a two acre property, most people simply would not see the purpose or the attractiveness of building such a house/garage hybrid. However, since you are not worried about resale, it's entirely your choice.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:11 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,306,322 times
Normally I dislike homes that have the garages out front that seem to be the drawing feature of the structure (curb appeal) but for the "mother-in-law apartment" feel of what you're talking about curb appeal really doesn't matter, imo. On the other hand, if you had a corner lot and could have your 2nd floor facing the front and your driveway from the side, that would be cool. You could have a great deck and entryway... hmmm...

I love cozy and small if you do it right. I think it's a great idea if that's what you want!

Old 03-31-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
There is a difference of opinions and clear trolling. Someone saying the place will burn down because you park cars in the garage and they have fuel in them is simply trolling. The whole purpose of garage is to park a car in it.

Maybe you are new to the internet and can't tell a troll from a honest reply but i'm not new to this.
I can assure you poster Chet Everett is not a troll .

His credentials certainly outmatch yours by a country mile !

Poster Chet brought up many good points!

Having an attached garage is totally different than having the garage under your house.
In case of a fire with an attached garage, you flee horizontally away from the fire via doors.

In your scenario, if your garage caught fire how do you flee from your house w/o going down and realizing smoke and fire moves up ?

My insurance inspector would be uneasy about having that much fuel in the basement of my one story house. But, I still have the advantage of fleeing horizontally since my living quarters on a one story house with basement is on 1st story.

Your living quarters does not allow for a horizontal escape.

Let the snarky replies begin !

Last edited by David A Stone; 03-31-2017 at 08:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House