Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 06:52 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,455,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEKSRZ View Post
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...CcwJw..i&w=760

Was going to build this one a couple of years back only to discover that it cost me 100K to build this vs a ranch style home. I was concerned with knee injuries as well but had that part covered. Instead I built a custom 2+2 and 40x60 shop.
I think it depend on where in the country you are. Here in New England Foundations and site work are expensive, as Such it's usually cheaper per sqft to build 2-3 stories. This is not the case at all in southern states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 09:43 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default Don't confuse "site work" with unnecessary costs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
I think it depend on where in the country you are. Here in New England Foundations and site work are expensive, as Such it's usually cheaper per sqft to build 2-3 stories. This is not the case at all in southern states.
It is pretty common to try to minimize site costs regardless of location. In the NE where stone filled soils are common and there is a need to protect against freezing the costs will be higher than in areas with easy to excavate soils and minimal risk of extreme temperatures. What can't be denied is that there still a need for some preparation of the site.

In contrast when someone proposes building in such a way that increases costs needlessly that can easily be avoided with just a little more knowledge. Whether information comes from a local builder or other investigations does not really matter.

In some ways there are aspects of the thread that are similar to the sorts of projects those learning architecture are asked to complete. Professors love to ask students to challenge assumptions. Posters here have offered information that could influence the OP's assumptions. Many architecture schools have several competitions for students to showcase things like low cost ways to build homes for folks in rural areas, or after a disaster, or those who'd otherwise be homeless in urban areas. While none of the situations directly translate into the OP's desire to place 'living space above a garage for the low costs and pleasant views / breeze' the fact that all such projects even when targeting flood ravaged areas like New Orleans do not build out a lower level --https://www.google.com/search?q=arch...es+New+orleans

Last edited by chet everett; 04-04-2017 at 10:36 AM..

Old 04-04-2017, 09:55 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,455,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
It is pretty common to try to minimize site costs regardless of location. In the NE where stone filled soils are common and there is a need to protect against freezing the costs will be higher than in areas with easy to excavate soils and minimal risk of extreme temperatures. What can't be denied is that there still a need for some preparation of the site.

In contrast when someone proposes building in such a way that increases costs needlessly that can easily be avoided with just a little more knowledge. Whether information comes from a local builder or other investigations does not really matter.

In some ways there are aspects of the thread that are similar to the sorts of projects those learning architecture are asked to complete. Professors love to ask students to challenge assumptions. Posters here have offered information that could influence the OP's assumptions. Many architecture schools have several competitions for students to showcase things like low cost ways to build homes for folks in rural areas, or after a disaster, or those who'd otherwise be homeless in urban areas. While none of the situations directly translate into the OP's desire to place 'living space above a garage for the low costs and pleasant views / breeze' the fact that all such projects even when targeting flood ravaged areas like New Orleans do not build out a lower level --https://www.google.com/search?q=architect+competition+low+cost+homes+New+ orleans
It depends on location a lot. Like I said I have priced out several build projects and helped others. Many up here start off wanting a ranch but end up with a 2 story home, due to site cost and foundation costs.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:42 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default I think we are on the same page!

Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
It depends on location a lot. Like I said I have priced out several build projects and helped others. Many up here start off wanting a ranch but end up with a 2 story home, due to site cost and foundation costs.
Completely agree that when pricing out a ranch vs a two story home the percentage of costs associated same about of LIVING SPACE the equation in areas with more expensive site work are going to make the ranch cost prohibitive, that is really the opposite of the OP's desire. They have a rural/ suburban two acre parcel want to build over a garage in an effort to minimize costs / maximize breezes & views. That will likely prove to be a poor decision as costs in such a situation will be HIGHER and the positives of breezes / views can be improved in other ways...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House