Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 09:03 AM

883 posts, read 3,718,734 times

Advertisements

We have one heating unit that heats the main living area as well as the entryway, which is on a separate lower level. The problem is that the entryway on the lower level is always freezing cold, even though is does have baseboard heating. How can we get the lower level entryway to be warmer? Would we have to install a separate heating unit for it? Does anyone know what our options are? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 09:41 AM

17,473 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Hot air rises.
The entry area needs to be contained- Is it a stairwell connecting the two? Can you install a door at the bottom or top to contain area?

Old 03-06-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Hot air rises.
The entry area needs to be contained- Is it a stairwell connecting the two? Can you install a door at the bottom or top to contain area?
Yes, there's a stairway leading up from the entryway, but there's no way to install a door. Is there any other way to keep the heat from escaping from the lower level? I wouldn't mind keeping the baseboard in the entryway turned up much higher than the other rooms, knowing that some of the heat would escape. Also, I've noticed that the baseboard heater in the entryway isn't as warm to the touch as it is in the upstairs area...is this because of the heat rising or is the baseboard not functioning properly?

Old 03-06-2008, 10:14 AM

Good question- but not being there it's hard to say.
What type of baseboard heat is it? Electric, or water?

Old 03-06-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Good question- but not being there it's hard to say.
What type of baseboard heat is it? Electric, or water?
Its water heat...

Old 03-06-2008, 11:43 AM

Oh!
Is this tied in with the water heater (boiler heats both systems / your other dilemma) or are they separate systems?

Old 03-06-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Oh!
Is this tied in with the water heater (boiler heats both systems / your other dilemma) or are they separate systems?
I guess its probably the same system?? We only have one water heater in the basement so I guess it would have to be. Like I said I'm clueless when it comes to this type of thing!

Old 03-06-2008, 12:15 PM

I'd definitely call some plumbers-
you may want to inquire if they work on boiler systems- just in case that is the kind of system you have. Some company do and some don't.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
I'd definitely call some plumbers-
you may want to inquire if they work on boiler systems- just in case that is the kind of system you have. Some company do and some don't.
Thanks...I will definitely call someone to look at it. One more question...with baseboard heaters that use water, is it possible to separate an existing system into different zones? For example, for the upstairs, I'd really prefer the master bedroom to be warmer than the other rooms. Is it possible to separate the master bedroom so it has its own temperature control?

Old 03-06-2008, 01:48 PM

372 posts, read 849,150 times
Have you tried bleeding the line at the entryway baseboard to make sure that there's no air in it?

At on end, there should be a screw that you can turn with a flathead screwdriver. Turn it a little bit and see if air or water comes out. If air comes out, keep bleeding it until it's only water coming out... then tighten the screw.

Depending on how the water lines are run, you MAY be able to separate into various zones without having to run new water lines. It all depends on how the loop(s) are set up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House