Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 10:45 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I am biased toward new homes versus reworking an older one especially while living in it. I know two couples that reworked/expanded older homes and the arguing/fighting about things was one of the reasons they are both now divorced.

Living in a construction zone is definitely not good on a marriage. We were lucky when we had our house restored, we weren't living in it.

Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 11:23 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I am biased toward new homes versus reworking an older one especially while living in it. I know two couples that reworked/expanded older homes and the arguing/fighting about things was one of the reasons they are both now divorced.
This is a really good point. Renovating and fixing things is stressful. And yeah, parting with the money it takes to do those things is also stressful. Dealing with contractors is stressful. It can definitely take a toll on your marriage and your quality of life.

This is why many people prefer new construction if it is available and fits their needs.

Old 04-16-2017, 04:24 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
This is a really good point. Renovating and fixing things is stressful. And yeah, parting with the money it takes to do those things is also stressful. Dealing with contractors is stressful. It can definitely take a toll on your marriage and your quality of life.

This is why many people prefer new construction if it is available and fits their needs.
True; however, you can also buy new construction that still needs "finishing" and "fixing". When late H and I were married in 1991, we bought a brand new townhome. We wanted to finish off the basement area, but had to wait until the water that sprang out of the side wall in the laundry area whenever it rained was taken care of. Turned out there was an underground spring that we had to accommodate - much fun. Afterwards, my H constructed a den, finished laundry room, family room, and full bath in the basement, wiring, plumbing, tiling, and all. Believe me, that was definitely stressful on a new marriage!

Old 04-17-2017, 07:59 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
My favorite thing about renovating compared to buying new, is that when renovating every week/month/year your house gets better and nicer. With a new house, every week/month year it gets less nice, older more worn out. I prefer to start at the bottom and see constant improvement than to start at the top and see decay, it is depressing, especially with all the cost cutting done in new houses today, sometimes the decay happens very very quickly, sometimes it is slower, but it is always a downhill slide.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:36 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
My favorite thing about renovating compared to buying new, is that when renovating every week/month/year your house gets better and nicer. With a new house, every week/month year it gets less nice, older more worn out. I prefer to start at the bottom and see constant improvement than to start at the top and see decay, it is depressing, especially with all the cost cutting done in new houses today, sometimes the decay happens very very quickly, sometimes it is slower, but it is always a downhill slide.
Or you can look at as we are intending. Enjoy just getting it to where we want (furnishings, window treatments etc). Then spending time on maintenance (yard, weeds, landscaping). As we see things that need attention (possible power washing, painting, fixing screens down the road) just do them. Same with any house that one is fixing up.

In time, any house is going to need maintenance. Even one that has been renovated/rehabbed. That new stuff going in or on is still going to need maintenance just like a new build.

I've spent a fair amount of time looking at houses as we drive around. I take note on what makes a house look run down, tired or just plain wore out. Most of those issues, from the outside at least, are not keeping the outside clean, landscaping trimmed and weedwacked around bushes/trees.

Home ownership will always come with maintenance. Be it new build or an older model that is being fixed up to what a new owner wants or needs. It's all about taking pride in the object that shelters you and gives you comfort and safety.

Some people just don't care. Doesn't matter if it is a new build or an older home. Others do care and maintain the home when it needs it. They all need it. Even renovated homes will need it.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:40 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
New construction doesn't go downhill any more quickly than a renovated home, as soon as you finish something. In other words, if the process of living in a home causes it to "decay" then the same decay happens to a renovated home once the renovation is finished. And I speak from experience - I grew up in a house that my parents renovated on their own from top to bottom. And by the time it was finished, the parts they had begun with were ready to be re-done all over again. The second time around, they hired a contractor.

Old 04-17-2017, 12:46 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,975,888 times
I think just like anything that are puts and takes or pluses and minuses to both strategies.

In an older house you can get custom details and charm simply not possible or reasonable in new construction. Also tastes and preferences vary widely between regions and what one considers "old" can vary by individual.

We moved to Utah and within greater Salt Lake there are general areas that we developed over a great disparity of time. If you go to the "Avenues" you get a turn of the century craftsman or victorian style former polyg mansions built between 1880 - 1920.

Go further south and you get to Yalecrest/Harvard area with Tudor homes built in the 1920-1940's.

Go even further south and you end up in Sugarhouse with Bungalows built in the 1930-1950's.

Head to the upper avenues or into the canyons and the essentric people of the time built mid century modern homes from the 50's -70's.

All have varying price premiums built in compared with new construction which is the inverse of what you may think a "used" home would go for. People pay serious money for these types of homes in comparison to a home from the 80's - today. Where people get into trouble with the 80's - 90's homes is that they don't do comps in their neighborhood. If you buy a home for $200k and put $150k into remodeling you better be sure that the comps will support valuation. If you're the first person in neighborhood dumping serious cash into gentrification you may end up not being able to sell the home for what you want. All buyers should do research into what they are planning to spend and what makes logical sense.

Old 04-17-2017, 01:15 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
I think just like anything that are puts and takes or pluses and minuses to both strategies.

In an older house you can get custom details and charm simply not possible or reasonable in new construction. Also tastes and preferences vary widely between regions and what one considers "old" can vary by individual.

We moved to Utah and within greater Salt Lake there are general areas that we developed over a great disparity of time. If you go to the "Avenues" you get a turn of the century craftsman or victorian style former polyg mansions built between 1880 - 1920.

Go further south and you get to Yalecrest/Harvard area with Tudor homes built in the 1920-1940's.

Go even further south and you end up in Sugarhouse with Bungalows built in the 1930-1950's.

Head to the upper avenues or into the canyons and the essentric people of the time built mid century modern homes from the 50's -70's.

All have varying price premiums built in compared with new construction which is the inverse of what you may think a "used" home would go for. People pay serious money for these types of homes in comparison to a home from the 80's - today. Where people get into trouble with the 80's - 90's homes is that they don't do comps in their neighborhood. If you buy a home for $200k and put $150k into remodeling you better be sure that the comps will support valuation. If you're the first person in neighborhood dumping serious cash into gentrification you may end up not being able to sell the home for what you want. All buyers should do research into what they are planning to spend and what makes logical sense.
All of those houses are beautiful. I like all types of architecture. Each of those have a style all their own, of which I can appreciate. The common denominator of a house that I find pleasing is how they are maintained.

Even though they are are not new, they look fresh. I like the analogy of an older, well dressed person. Still upright and has dignity. Older homes can be renovated or rehabbed to bring back that dignity.

Maintaining, even after reno, is the key.

Old 04-18-2017, 04:39 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,800,839 times
I custom built my current home. I used top quality materials of today. However, many of these materials do not have a long record so their longevity in the real world is not known. I am moving to a nearly 100 year old home that is in a more convenient location. It has stood the test of time and is in a walkable location.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:05 PM

748 posts, read 833,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAB6120 View Post
I'm on my 3rd home and 1st pre-existing. I wanted new in my previous homes because of the same reasons many here do, everything is new, no major renovations, roof, ac etc. What I got was shoddy, cheap cookie cutter construction. From a leaking roof, to fixing the ac, cheap vinyl windows, walls that bowed, doors that got stuck. I also got tired of every 5th house being the same model, no mature trees-even after 10 years the trees were still babies. Anyway, I decided to buy an older home built in 1980 in a subdivision where no two homes were the same-what a difference! This house feels solid, it was renovated with wood floors throughout, concrete siding, new windows/doors and they also redid the kitchen and baths, I did replace the roof and Hvac system and repainting. I really like this home and plan to be here for a while since it's a great neighborhood. Op, definitely look at older homes and determine what you would like to do and see if it's cost effective, you may even find an older home with good bones that's already renovated. Here's a pic of my 1980 home.
LAB6120 - that's a great color scheme! Do you know what the siding is?

I totally agree that finding something that's older, and solidly built, will set the foundation for a successful home ownership experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House