Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 10:25 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Somewhere in some thread here in CD, I read that laminates or engineered wood is actual better if you have pets since they are tougher and will scratch less than real hardwood. Is this fairly accurate?
Not in my experience, but maybe our engineered wood flooring is not that great.
I'm rather disappointed with it, and if I had had any choice in the matter, we would not have gotten it. (Also, we do have a mastiff--pretty big dog.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 06:01 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,692,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Not in my experience, but maybe our engineered wood flooring is not that great.
I'm rather disappointed with it, and if I had had any choice in the matter, we would not have gotten it. (Also, we do have a mastiff--pretty big dog.)
i have yuck carpet, and it suits the pets? please, what is the engineered wood gripe, I just may stick with pet carpets! my dog 17 lbs., may get a puppy?

Old 03-08-2008, 12:43 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,694,928 times
I agree with some of the other posters: Bruce Hardwood Floor Cleaner and a cloth-like mop (mine is called a Schmop Mop, bought at Walmart for $10). I slightly dampen the mop, spray the cleaner directly on the floor, and mop. I also have rugs in front of the sink and stove.

Old 03-08-2008, 03:40 PM

878 posts, read 2,737,194 times
Where do you get the Bruce hardwood floor cleaner...Walmart? Target? Grocery Store?

Old 03-08-2008, 04:20 PM

338 posts, read 1,369,032 times
Thumbs up Cleaning HWF & Woven Rugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcam213 View Post
for those who have hardwoods in kitchen.. how do you routinely clean your floor. I don't like the idea of simply dry mopping it etc. When I clean my kitchen I need to mop the floor as well with a cleaner that has a fresh smell.I was thinking a swiffer... they don't get really wet. I also considered my hoover floor mate. It came with cleaner for linoleum and also hard wood floors... the cleaner for hardwood floors was I think by End dust.
I had a cleaning business for seven years, and I love old homes and have lived many places w/HWF. So from those two perspectives:

My favorite HWF cleaner is Murphy's Oil Soap. Available pretty much anywhere: grocerer's, big box discount, 5&Dime. You can buy it concentrated and mix it to the strength you desire or in a spray bottle that's pre-mixed so all you do is squirt! I have both but prefer concentrated.

I vac the floor first - not sweep - using one of those long-handled dust-buster types. Sweeping just seems to always leave something behind.

If you use the concentrated stuff - use it in a bucket or sink. I've always noticed ppl putting a bucket full of water when they mop, but I always used less bc it's less heavy, less spills when you dump it, easier to cart around and lift, and you can see when the water gets dirty easier to change it. Change water often.

On an *older* rougher HWF, I use a cotton string mop bc it seems to be able to scrub them which is what they sometimes need. Otherwise, if nice, I use a sponge-style out of which you can press the water - something you don't want to leave a lot of on a HWF. I haven't read the bottle in while, but I think it says to rinse. I've never rinsed in the sense of "baptizing" the floor (!) but... just a simple swoosh with the sponge map.

Looks great, smells even better!

In winter, I always use a woven rug on them to help keep them clean. Same in the summer when I spend more time on the beach, but then I tend to just throw a couple of towels on the floor by the entries - much easier to throw in the wash, less hassle on the washer, and doesn't tear up the rugs as soon.

So... there you go - a 2-for-1 special! HWFs & their Rugs -

Old 03-08-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjack View Post
...And I've been told to never use Murphy's oil soap, the kind where you add water to it, because it has too much water and can eventually lead your floors to warp.

Only if you perpetually pour a bucket of water on the floor )when you clean) and let it sit there.... (I've actually seen some ppl do this, then wonder why their floors become unglued and their baseboards split.)

There were *no* entries before I started typing, but by the time I typed and took my pup out and returned, there were many other entries! Okay... Just wanted to comment on the Murphy's... I'd *still* use it. Murphy's *itself* doesn't have too much water... it just depends on how much water the mopper puts on the floor when they use it! Just another reason to add only a little water in the bucket and squeeze the mop.

It also depends on the kind of wood - if I was using the Murphy's on the laminate - I'd use the spray kind with an old cloth like a cheesecloth or old baby diaper. Otherwise, the soap base could leave a film on the floor which picks up smudges when ppl walk on it.

Easiest cleaning for a smooth, clean finish: wet cloth, dry cloth. If you can't bend over, just tie them on the end of your mop and throw the cloth in the wash when you're done.

Old 03-08-2008, 04:40 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,761,000 times
I sweep and then swiffer routinely (kids, dog and a cat). When I need to damp mop, I use the bona X system, which uses a micro-fiber cloth mop head and a hardwood cleaner spray - lightly spray a 4x4 section and then go over it w/the micro-fiber mop head to clean. I've seen this system sold at Bed, Bath and Beyond as well as Restoration Hardware.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:20 PM

621 posts, read 3,206,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dens View Post
Where do you get the Bruce hardwood floor cleaner...Walmart? Target? Grocery Store?
You can find it at a hardwood store like Home Depot, Ace, Lowe's etc. Bed Bath and Beyond might carry it also. Maybe Target, although I haven't seen it there before.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:44 PM

Question Old & New

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree View Post
micro-fiber cloth mop head.
Excellent - yes. I guess with all of us and Mom having a daycare for so many years,... that "cheesecloths & baby diapers" were just one of those things we had in plenty! (And I actually do have a few myself even though I have no children!) Ha. It is both amazing and impressive how advanced we have become these days - even with something simple like mopping!

You are right Spree - micro-fiber cloth is excellent for cleaning! And actually keeps the hairs and floor bits on the cloth better than old-fashioned ones. Funny thing... while Mom taught us to use practical items we already had... *she* has always been into anything "new & improved!"

I wonder... how many of here use the traditional/older cleaning supplies v. the newer ones? And what? Is there anything "old-fashioned" that you have found you still prefer over the new stuff?

Old 03-08-2008, 06:06 PM

782 posts, read 3,789,263 times
Have anyone tried the steam mop with micro fiber pad for their wood floors?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House