Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 02:40 PM

4 posts, read 15,063 times

Advertisements

Anyone have experience with Koch Cabinets out of Seneca, KS?

Considering a kitchen remodel and local company is recommending the Express or Classic line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 05:18 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,906,789 times
Never used them, never heard of them. But I did visit their website to find out what they are made of. The 2 lines that they are recommending I wouldn't have in a rental and certainly not my house. They're just cheap particle board cabinets. Their Imperial line is made of a hardwood plywood, name or species not given, and is a maple overlay finish. The hardware at best is suspect although rated at 75lbs per specs, looks like cheap far, too small, hardware to be rated for 75lbs. If it were my choice, I'd pass.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:24 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,675,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Never used them, never heard of them. But I did visit their website to find out what they are made of. The 2 lines that they are recommending I wouldn't have in a rental and certainly not my house. They're just cheap particle board cabinets. Their Imperial line is made of a hardwood plywood, name or species not given, and is a maple overlay finish. The hardware at best is suspect although rated at 75lbs per specs, looks like cheap far, too small, hardware to be rated for 75lbs. If it were my choice, I'd pass.
Put this in perspective- millions of homes were/are built with "particleboard" boxes on their kitchen cabinets - those cabinets often last 30+ years without a problem. The cabinet boxes aren't actually under much "stress" in normal use & if they get wet, all bets are off, just *exactly* the same as plywood boxes will get damaged by water.

Further, a *huge* percentage of the cabinets being sourced & advertised today as having "plywood boxes" are Chinese cabinets. One place local to me advertises them as "locally manufactured", when they're actually just the same Chinese plywood assembled by low-wage workers in their "shop".

So, in perspective- I have put Chinese plywood cabinets in my house & I have also put the absolute *cheapest* in-stock-at-the-depot particleboard cabinets in a rental & they were *fine*, and both were far superior to the incredibly cheap cabinets the builder put in.. That lasted 30+ years.

Don't get sold a bill of goods with "plywood" boxes & don't pay gobs of money extra for "soft closing" hardware either, cause most of what's out there right now is cheap Chinese stuff. It works fine, but it isn't "premium".

Old 04-18-2017, 06:46 PM

20,019 posts, read 20,822,731 times
I'd much rather pay 3x the money for a cabinet that nobody would know the difference unless I told them. Just so I could brag that I bought the higher end cabinet, because me, well I'm just too good for the other stuff.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I'd much rather pay 3x the money for a cabinet that nobody would know the difference unless I told them. Just so I could brag that I bought the higher end cabinet, because me, well I'm just too good for the other stuff.
Lol.. Funny thing is, I don't think it's even *possible* to buy a bathroom vanity that has a plywood box - unless you tack it on to your Chinese-plywood kitchen cabinet order, yet no one even notices that, even though bathrooms have way more water in them (steam) than kitchens do.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:31 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,906,789 times
Quote:
millions of homes were/are built with "particleboard" boxes on their kitchen cabinets
Quite obvious you didn't go to their website to have a clue what the construction of these cabinets are. The drawers are made of particle board. Only the drawer fronts and doors are wood....of some kind. The cabinets recommended do not have the "premium" hardware or soft close anything. It's just cheap crap. Frankly, Habitat for Humanities has better cabinets. Yes, they are plywood boxes and plywood drawers and fake stained doors and fronts. Yes, it's all made in China. But at least it's wood that a screw is going to hold in rather than have the hole chip out over time and it all fall apart. I'd rank the Habitat cabinets well above the ones recommended........and I'd only use those in a hunting shack or a place I didn't really care about. Cabinet boxes for the most part can be particle board. Drawers, doors, door fronts, and any wood used for mounting the hardware should be solid wood to get a decent but inexpensive cabinet.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Quite obvious you didn't go to their website to have a clue what the construction of these cabinets are. The drawers are made of particle board. Only the drawer fronts and doors are wood....of some kind. The cabinets recommended do not have the "premium" hardware or soft close anything. It's just cheap crap. Frankly, Habitat for Humanities has better cabinets. Yes, they are plywood boxes and plywood drawers and fake stained doors and fronts. Yes, it's all made in China. But at least it's wood that a screw is going to hold in rather than have the hole chip out over time and it all fall apart. I'd rank the Habitat cabinets well above the ones recommended........and I'd only use those in a hunting shack or a place I didn't really care about. Cabinet boxes for the most part can be particle board. Drawers, doors, door fronts, and any wood used for mounting the hardware should be solid wood to get a decent but inexpensive cabinet.

I've personally pulled out 30+ year-old cabinets with particle-board drawers on several occasions. They weren't in "hunting shacks", they were in homes that actually sold for upwards of $300,000 before the crash. I'd absolutely rather have hardwood drawers, but I can't argue with "success", and 30 years of useful life is nothing to sneeze at. Further, the "solid hardwood" drawers on my Chinese cabinets are made from "snippets" of wood, joined together by who-knows-what.

I'm not arguing here, just pointing out that getting obsessed with "plywood boxes" and "hardwood drawers" might lead you straight into buying cabinets made with /chinese/ hardwood/plywood, and that's not the same as the stuff you buy at the depot. Most of the product out there touting itself as "plywood/hardwood" is of dubious quality- certainly not any "better" than the super-cheap, on-the-shelf cabinets in stock at both lowes and the depot. (Which are installed in millions of homes across the country).

Old 04-19-2017, 08:40 AM

TrapperL - I don't see that the drawers on even the cheapest series (Express) is particle board? And soft close is an upgrade option. Where did you see particle board for the drawers? I don't like that the Express is veneered doors, so was likely going with the Classic series.

The Express Series Koch and Company, Inc, bring quality cabinets and doors to you.

7. ½" Plywood drawer box with Maple wood grained printed sides and ¼" bottom with
maple print interior. Standard drawer guide is 75# epoxy coated, self adjusting side mount,
3/4 extension.
Drawer upgrade options:
1. Dovetail drawer with side mount 3/4 extension drawer guide.

Classic Series Koch and Company, Inc, bring quality cabinets and doors to you.

6. 1/2" Rabbeted plywood drawer with 1/4" plywood floor, faced with maple print.
Drawer Upgrade Options:
1. Solid hardwood dovetail drawer with blumotion full extension undermount soft close drawer guides.
2. Solid hardwood dovetail drawer with soft close 7/8 extension undermount guide.
3. Solid hardwood dovetail drawer with soft 3/4 extension sidemount guide.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:19 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,068,765 times
"Print"...means something made on a press to look like wood and stuck on the underlay. It doesn't get much lower quality than that, unless they leave off the underlay or the print.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:57 AM

I do get that print is something pressed onto the surface. It says the drawer is a 1/2" plywood floor faced with maple print. Just trying to figure out the terminology.

I also have the option on the drawers of hardwood on Express series and solid hardwood dovetail on Classic.

I don't want the drawers to be particleboard. I don't have many drawers in my kitchen, so I am hoping it is not too expensive to upgrade.

My house is not expensive ($130,000) and I DO NOT want to spend much on the remodel. Original kitchen from new build in 1994.

The first estimates came back at $34,000 and $40,000 (depending on whether I relocated a door). Those prices did not include flooring, tile, or appliances. And the cabinets were mid grade DuraSupreme.

Ouch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House