Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 11:27 PM

2 posts, read 2,785 times

Advertisements

We are looking into remodeling a small bathroom (~55 sq ft), redoing the electrical subpanel and rewiring for the bathroom and the kitchen in the Bay Area. Is 25-27k too much? A custom walk in shower is included. Toilet, tiles and vanity are not included. If not, please let us know what a reasonable price range is. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 11:58 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,879,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooniuniu View Post
We are looking into remodeling a small bathroom (~55 sq ft), redoing the electrical subpanel and rewiring for the bathroom and the kitchen in the Bay Area. Is 25-27k too much? A custom walk in shower is included. Toilet, tiles and vanity are not included. If not, please let us know what a reasonable price range is. Thank you!
I just had the master bathroom remodeled, not sure of the sq ft but it's a large room. We tore out the Fiberglas shower and the attached Fiberglas tub, replaced the shower with a beautiful new tile shower, new frameless shower glass, with tile that extended out of the shower, down the wall 60" to the corner of the room behind the new stand alone tub, then around the corner about another four feet and stops at the new double sink vanity. So the whole wall behind the tub up to about 3 feet high are in the same tile as in the shower.
New sinks, faucets and granite top, all new flooring, new mirrors above the sinks and new light fixtures, and new ceiling fan. .
Contractor charged $12,500, and I bought the tub and shower fixtures and two new mirrors, for probably another $1500, so around $15 K complete
I don't know what your electrical would cost in addition to what I did, but I would say you need more estimates for that price.

Old 04-24-2017, 12:09 AM

2 posts, read 2,785 times
Thank you for letting us have a reference point to compare to! It sounds like your master bathroom is a lot larger than the one we are looking to have remodeled. The actual dimensions of our bathroom is 7"4 x 6"3.

The contractor told us that the electrical would be $3,500 from the total cost of $25-27k.

From your description and cost, it does sound like we need to look for more estimates. :\

Old 04-24-2017, 12:22 AM

276 posts, read 978,799 times
I just got a quote of 20,000, not including items in the bathroom (tub, sinks, etc)

Old 04-24-2017, 03:53 PM

17,415 posts, read 65,584,777 times
Quote:
From your description and cost, it does sound like we need to look for more estimates. :\

Finally, something that makes sense!

Old 04-24-2017, 06:57 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,237,834 times
Quote:

Yeah that's way too much. I had two bathrooms completely remodeled torn to studs repaired subfloor new tub, new lath, floated mud, concrete bed shower new glass vanities sinks etc and that only ran about 10k. But the guy was doing a ton of tile work so it was cheaper

I had a similar shower and bath and that ran 13k but it included custom vanities and a hallway storage closet about 8 feet wide floor to ceiling custom made.

What exactly is the guy doing? Rewiring the whole kitchen or adding a few circuits

Old 04-24-2017, 08:15 PM

18,364 posts, read 31,451,857 times
I don't wanna sound cheap, but 25-27K sounds like an awful lot of money for a small bathroom....is it really worth it????? and that's just for electrical and a walk in shower that you stated....

I agree with others "get more estimates", and also start picking out things you like, toilet, vanity, etc and add it up.

I'm old school, a toilet is a toilet, it doesn't have to perform magic, especially in a small bathroom.....but depending on your taste and wants....maybe it could be up there......

Old 04-24-2017, 08:51 PM

17,672 posts, read 29,575,143 times
Go with a Curbless shower.

Price sounds normal to me.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:57 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,971,395 times
Default Details matter...

Quote:

Where is the project located and what sort of existing construction is there?

If you are in a highrise in NYC or some beachfront home in Malibu or Hawaii the details of what the contractor will need to do to remain in compliance with local regulations as well as pay his crew enough to make up for the fact that they probably can't afford to live with hours of the project might actually mean $27,000 is not totally insane BUT when you say that "toilet, tiles and vanity are not included" I'd say the "quote" is from somebody who hopes the OP has SUCKER tattooed on his forehead as this project would have a cost of nearly $500/sq ft which is hard to stomach...

I have seen projects that do exceed even that high price but rarely in so TINY a bathroom, what is more common is that in trying to deliver a huge "spa shower" the contractor runs into a situation where they are not merely relocating plumbing but also having to deal with ALL the other mechanical systems crammed behind the walls of an older building. I have literally seen situations where structural changes had to be made to carry the loads on steel beams and elaborate welded posts hidden inside the wall to create a full-height shower where there was previously a bulkhead over the tub that hide mechanicals and structure of the unit above...

When "million dollar renovations" happen often what is behind the walls is more costly than even the fancy custom stone and gold plated fixtures that the cameras capture. If the OP is in that sort of a situation I suppose other contractors will also submit bids that are eye-popping. If the OP is instead in a rather ordinary home with no special restrictions they probably need to talk to a whole bunch of qualified remodelers that can explain the most cost effective way to accomplish what they would like. There are often a wide range of alternatives to the older ways of building a walk-in shower that are far more cost effective.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:09 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,306,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Where is the project located and what sort of existing construction is there?

If you are in a highrise in NYC or some beachfront home in Malibu or Hawaii the details of what the contractor will need to do to remain in compliance with local regulations as well as pay his crew enough to make up for the fact that they probably can't afford to live with hours of the project might actually mean $27,000 is not totally insane BUT when you say that "toilet, tiles and vanity are not included" I'd say the "quote" is from somebody who hopes the OP has SUCKER tattooed on his forehead as this project would have a cost of nearly $500/sq ft which is hard to stomach...

I have seen projects that do exceed even that high price but rarely in so TINY a bathroom, what is more common is that in trying to deliver a huge "spa shower" the contractor runs into a situation where they are not merely relocating plumbing but also having to deal with ALL the other mechanical systems crammed behind the walls of an older building. I have literally seen situations where structural changes had to be made to carry the loads on steel beams and elaborate welded posts hidden inside the wall to create a full-height shower where there was previously a bulkhead over the tub that hide mechanicals and structure of the unit above...

When "million dollar renovations" happen often what is behind the walls is more costly than even the fancy custom stone and gold plated fixtures that the cameras capture. If the OP is in that sort of a situation I suppose other contractors will also submit bids that are eye-popping. If the OP is instead in a rather ordinary home with no special restrictions they probably need to talk to a whole bunch of qualified remodelers that can explain the most cost effective way to accomplish what they would like. There are often a wide range of alternatives to the older ways of building a walk-in shower that are far more cost effective.
In the first sentence that you quoted, they state they are in the Bay Area. I'm assuming California where cost of living is outrageous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House