U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2017, 01:29 PM

511 posts, read 765,529 times

Advertisements

What type of wire / cable should I get for the following:

100 amp panel - 60 foot run through the attic from the main breaker to the panel (yes that counts the vertical). I'm thinking 2-2-2-4 aluminum SER, would that work? Would there be any issues attaching that to a Square D QO 100 amp breaker?

Heat Pump - 46 amp draw, 50-60 amp breaker (probably 60) with a 20 foot run underground through conduit. I was thinking 6-6-6 URD or SER aluminum? I honestly don't know the difference between lots of the lettering options such as URD, USE2, UF-B, THHN etc. Many of them seem so similar that it's hard to tell what's appropriate to use.

I'm pretty new to any real electrical work and want to make sure I buy the right wire. Is there any problem using aluminum in these scenarios? It's so much cheaper, but I don't want to cause any potential problems just to save a few bucks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 08:33 AM

28,383 posts, read 67,903,744 times
Short answer:

If you have to ask about the different cables / wire choices on a forum you are not qualified to make this decision yourself.

Fact is local codes may not allow aluminum to be used even to supply sub-panels. The biggest issue is that when aluminum interacts with air the oxides formed add tremendous resistance to the connections and that can eventually lead to a situation where fire is likely. In contrast copper, unless attacked by strong acids, will continue to have a very low resistance as any oxides formed and not going cause problems.

Hire a fully licensed local electrician that knows all the details of what local permits will require. If you are at all handy and can assist in getting the proper materials THAT THE ELECTRICIAN SPECIFIES they may allow you to get supplies on our own but realize that the reason that MOST electricians strongly prefer to get materials from a professional supplier is such businesses are NOT going to carry things that violate local code. In contrast some internet store really does not care if somebody is wiring up a mobile home in far off Alaska or the deserts of New Mexico, they'll ship anything anywhere...

Old 04-26-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Short answer:

If you have to ask about the different cables / wire choices on a forum you are not qualified to make this decision yourself.

Fact is local codes may not allow aluminum to be used even to supply sub-panels. The biggest issue is that when aluminum interacts with air the oxides formed add tremendous resistance to the connections and that can eventually lead to a situation where fire is likely. In contrast copper, unless attacked by strong acids, will continue to have a very low resistance as any oxides formed and not going cause problems.

Hire a fully licensed local electrician that knows all the details of what local permits will require. If you are at all handy and can assist in getting the proper materials THAT THE ELECTRICIAN SPECIFIES they may allow you to get supplies on our own but realize that the reason that MOST electricians strongly prefer to get materials from a professional supplier is such businesses are NOT going to carry things that violate local code. In contrast some internet store really does not care if somebody is wiring up a mobile home in far off Alaska or the deserts of New Mexico, they'll ship anything anywhere...
I am hiring an electrician to do the actual work. They originally asked me to supply the wire but didn't tell me exactly what was needed - just saying 100 amp wire. When I asked for the exact details, he said we'll just get it from Home Depot when he starts the job. I'd prefer to get it from somewhere else since HD charges about twice what I can get it for from a reputable place online and we're talking a difference of about $300. However, first and foremost is obviously safety and being up to code, so I guess I'll just leave it to him then.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:29 AM

62 posts, read 89,694 times
100 amp wire isn't used for a 60 amp heat pump. I'd start there first.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:32 PM

11,876 posts, read 45,659,960 times
I'm still trying to figure out how you went from attic to underground!

Old 04-28-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Ivey View Post
100 amp wire isn't used for a 60 amp heat pump. I'd start there first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
I'm still trying to figure out how you went from attic to underground!
100 amp wire is going from the main breaker through the attic to a subpanel that will power the pool heat pump, pool pump, pool light, and leave a little room for some future upgrades like waterfalls or additional lighting. 60 amp wire is going from the subpanel underground to the heat pump.

Anyway, it looks like we may scale everything back to a 70 amp sub panel for cost reasons. I'll worry about future upgrades when the time comes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or