Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 01:28 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times

Advertisements

I'm doing work on my house to get it ready to be listed to be sold.

The home has some wrought iron fence panels in front that are not in great shape.
I have a contractor that's been doing some updates and repairs inside but I just got a quote for the fence panels.

Seems pretty high. They listed a few options
Just to repair and prime the damaged parts of the 7 panels they want $1470.
To repair and paint all the fencing it would be $2200

Attached is a photo of one of the panels , which I think is the worst one. Can see the rust/rot at bottom.

Has anyone got this type of work done before? Any more cost effective ideas?

Wonder if its better to just remove them and put something else there instead...but maybe that would be even more expensive?..

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 01:39 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Well, replacing it with aluminum would certainly free you of the rust. And, if you had the aluminum powder-coated you would never have to worry about painting them again- moving or not.

Old 05-08-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Well, replacing it with aluminum would certainly free you of the rust. And, if you had the aluminum powder-coated you would never have to worry about painting them again- moving or not.
Thanks for the suggestion . I'm wondering how much this would end up costing. I guess at least that way it would be brand new fencing versus repaired painted fencing.

Old 05-08-2017, 02:42 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Why don't you contact a welder and get a quotation?

What you have there is not actually wrought iron, although lots of people call it that, it's mild steel which has rusted. Cut the bad parts off with an angle grinder and weld on new, then prime and paint. Any competent welder can do this. It's not elaborately decorative, it's just a straight run of square tube (I would guess 1" from the picture). You don't need aircraft or pressure vessel certification to do this. And you don't need to pay a profit margin to a welder and a second profit margin to a contractor.

Old 05-08-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post

What you have there is not actually wrought iron, although lots of people call it that, it's mild steel which has rusted. Cut the bad parts off with an angle grinder and weld on new, then prime and paint. Any competent welder can do this. It's not elaborately decorative, it's just a straight run of square tube (I would guess 1" from the picture). You don't need aircraft or pressure vessel certification to do this. And you don't need to pay a profit margin to a welder and a second profit margin to a contractor.
Thanks !
Yeah I was thinking perhaps I could find a handyman with welding skills to do this .
Many of the companies I looked up seem to specialize in the ornamental artistic type stuff so they likely charge a bunch . I don't need it to be fancy but just look better .

Do you have an idea what would be a fair price for a welder to do this if there are seven pieces ?

Old 05-08-2017, 03:01 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
It would look SO much nicer to have new aluminum panels. What are the dimensions? The ones you have there do not look like anything special, just probably the 'cheap stuff' in their day too.

Old 05-08-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
It would look SO much nicer to have new aluminum panels. What are the dimensions? The ones you have there do not look like anything special, just probably the 'cheap stuff' in their day too.
Aluminum panels don't seem too expensive looking on Home Depot site
I'm not sure the dimensions as I'm not there right now . I agree the ones on there now don't look that great which is why I thought it sounded kind of crazy to spend that much just to repair them .

Old 05-08-2017, 08:07 PM

178 posts, read 173,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post

Its not really that easy to weld. By the looks the steel is probably 16 or even 18 gage. Even when new it is difficult to weld. Add some rust and it is burn thru on contact.
Most quality work is done with 1/8" thick steel at the minimum and pickets are usually solid steel bar. Not tube at all.

It is also very time consuming to paint. Its hard to get all the cracks and surfaces so the price can get steep.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:50 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Go buy those pre made wood fence sections. Cut to fit and bolt them in
Or
The iron looks like hell.I would fix or give the buyer credit to fix it if you dont wanna deal with it.
Or
Fix them and the buyer can't complain about anything.

Powder coating would be prohibitive. Probably run easily 200 a section since it needs to be completely sandblasted and powder coating does deteriorate with weather

Old 05-09-2017, 08:36 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
Can you just cut off the bottoms and lower the fence panel?

I don't think iron is wrought anymore except privately. This is too perfect to be wrought.

I guess it's watered landscaping that did that damage below.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House