Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 11:26 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,399,569 times

Advertisements

If you're in an apartment in a city, you can probably get 20+ HDTV channels with a $20 antenna. I live 30 miles from the towers and I get 40 channels with an antenna that wasn't much more than $30.

You should try to plug into that old antenna jack in the wall- old antennas can still pick up HDTV. The frequencies didn't change when they switched from analog to digital, and any TV built in the last ~decade already has a digital tuners inside of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 12:00 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
If you're in an apartment in a city, you can probably get 20+ HDTV channels with a $20 antenna. I live 30 miles from the towers and I get 40 channels with an antenna that wasn't much more than $30.

You should try to plug into that old antenna jack in the wall- old antennas can still pick up HDTV. The frequencies didn't change when they switched from analog to digital, and any TV built in the last ~decade already has a digital tuners inside of it.
Thanks I just sent a note to a fellow in our bldg who helps me with things and asked him to come over and plug in the coaxial to the tv, I can't stoop down to do these things now. We'll see if anything comes on.

Old 05-12-2017, 03:30 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,526,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Thanks I just sent a note to a fellow in our bldg who helps me with things and asked him to come over and plug in the coaxial to the tv, I can't stoop down to do these things now. We'll see if anything comes on.
Remember, don't be surprised if you get nothing, most CRT TV's I know of were analog receivers, you might still need a converter box, then you'll get whatever is local.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:44 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Remember, don't be surprised if you get nothing, most CRT TV's I know of were analog receivers, you might still need a converter box, then you'll get whatever is local.
Right. It won't get anything. People are thinking of digital TVs when they say to plug in the antenna.

Old 05-13-2017, 03:44 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,588,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Right. It won't get anything. People are thinking of digital TVs when they say to plug in the antenna.
There are crt tv's with built in digital tuners ATSC. Most of the older ones have a NTSC tuner which is analog.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:53 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
This is what I did:

Indoor Antenna - The Leaf Indoor Antenna | Mohu

Hang it as high on the wall as you can.

Old 06-03-2017, 11:10 AM

I'm back here and still have not purchased an antenna. A friend had one she used at one time when she unplugged cable and thought she had it in her closet but believes she got rid of it to a goodwill place. I probably need to hire a handy person who knows what to do to help this situation. I'm not able to bend down and move things. Yesterday the new apt managers came thru and plugged my tv in and got a lot of snow. Even if I get 10 channels that would be good, I don't care that much for the tv watching anymore.

Old 06-03-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH6 View Post
We cancelled spectrum cable.

Have had two $10 slim wall antennas, one for each TV.

Both were bought on amazon, and go on the wall or a window with suction cups.

We got 30 channels instantly, all from Austin, and Belton/Waco area. I imagine a roof mounted device would get more, but unnecessary for us.

Learned I really like watching the PBS channels, good cooking shows on there and documentaries.

Wife wanted a few more options, so we put sling on our ROKU box, and pay $25 per month for more channels than either one of us could watch.

Also we have Amazon prime, which gives us more content.

No contracts.

Spectrum promptly raised us to retail rates the second we dumped cable (we need to keep them for internet), so I hope competition will bring in other companies.

This sounds interesting with suction cup, I'll have to look on amazon for these.

Could this be what you are talking about? There is still some hook up to do right?

https://www.amazon.com/1byone-Antenn.../dp/B00IF70SDO

Old 06-03-2017, 12:01 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,566,640 times
The hook up consists of attaching the antenna wire to the back of your TV. There will most likely be only one terminal with screw threads on it, and it will be labeled ANT or ANT/CATV or ANT/CABLE. Simply screw the antenna wire snugly to that connector.

If the connection is for ANT/CATV, you'll need to go to the TV setup menu and select 'Antenna'. If you had cable previously, it's probably set to 'Cable' now. Your owner's manual will tell you how to do this, or google your TV model and 'owner's manual' to find it online.

Old 06-03-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
The hook up consists of attaching the antenna wire to the back of your TV. There will most likely be only one terminal with screw threads on it, and it will be labeled ANT or ANT/CATV or ANT/CABLE. Simply screw the antenna wire snugly to that connector.

If the connection is for ANT/CATV, you'll need to go to the TV setup menu and select 'Antenna'. If you had cable previously, it's probably set to 'Cable' now. Your owner's manual will tell you how to do this, or google your TV model and 'owner's manual' to find it online.
Thanks and good advice, no manual, tv is old and god knows where the manual is. A handy person who knows this stuff would be great. At this late age, handy I'm not. I just got two referrals from a friend for handy man and have a call into him.... I can get frustrated too easy. thanks

I just talked to a handy man type and knows this antenna stuff. He would charge $45 hr and buy the antenna at best buy and says it could be about $30. So I'm keeping his name and will get a couple other estimates.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-03-2017 at 12:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House