Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 12:25 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth
ummmm, thanks for the 2 comments. I'll probably have to hire a handy person to help me if and when I want to try to watch some local tv.
I understand you getting rid of it...... Almost nothing but rubbish on now!!

I havent watched TV in about 6 years........I just cant stand whats on......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2017, 12:40 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I understand you getting rid of it...... Almost nothing but rubbish on now!!

I havent watched TV in about 6 years........I just cant stand whats on......
I hear you and wonder if I'm wasting money to get what I'm thinking of doing. I don't miss it and been away from it for months while in hospital/rehab, even in these situations hardly watched their tv, lots of garbage...

Perhaps I'd feel differently if I handy person do it free. I know it can't be a big deal. But for me at this time it is more than I can handle. When computer gives me aches and pains, I can do a melt.

Old 06-17-2017, 07:55 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,909,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
You won't get anything with the old antenna. Signals are digital. You will need a converter box. I just use a jail broken fire stick
False. I can speak from personal experience

Old 06-17-2017, 08:17 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
Jamin' I wish that I lived near you! It sounds like a really easy fix.

All I did was purchase a TV that receives digital signals and then I plugged one of those $10 flat antennas into the back of the TV and hung the antenna on the wall behind the TV. I now get 19 channels for free, including PBS.

It took me less than ten minutes to set it up.

Avoid internet streaming for right now.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Jamin' I wish that I lived near you! It sounds like a really easy fix.

All I did was purchase a TV that receives digital signals and then I plugged one of those $10 flat antennas into the back of the TV and hung the antenna on the wall behind the TV. I now get 19 channels for free, including PBS.

It took me less than ten minutes to set it up.

Avoid internet streaming for right now.
An older friend who also has antenna TV, won't ever consider cable fees, said for me to buy a indoor tv antenna with detachable amplifier -- here it is I think. He said he would set it up.

https://www.amazon.com/HDTV-Antenna-...able+amplifier

When he saw it the price was 14.99 and I was told it was a "lightening" special on amazon when I looked it up and the price had changed.

I kinda let it go for now, as I'm not missing TV and going to bed at 9ish is working really good for my body and mind etc etc.

Thanks for your kind offer, wish you lived closer too. J

Old 06-18-2017, 08:17 AM

I looked up TV Fool for Santa Monica. According to the report, you should be able to get 34 channels with an indoor set up. I think that antenna will work, as long as your TV receives digital signals. If you doesn't you need a converter box, and I suggest just getting a TV that does receive digital signals. It is tons easier than messing with a converter box!

If you buy that antenna, leave off the amplifier at first.

According to the map at TV Fool, the bulk of your stations are to the Northeast, and since you're in the metro, I think the stations are well under 50 miles (but you can put in your address at the site and check if you want), so if you put on the amplifier, it could overload the antenna and you'll just get snow.

In other words, I think you may have a set-up like mine: plug and play. If hanging the antenna behind the TV doesn't work, you could put it in a window with a suction cup hook.

In any case, I think this a cheap project should you ever want to do it.

If you make it to Walmart, they have a flat $10 - $14 antenna that hangs on the wall/window that should work, too. Rabbit ears (haven't seen any in ages but Target may have them) could work, too.

Added: here's an $8 pair of rabbit ears at Walmart. These could sit next to the TV or off to the side: no hanging required. If those didn't work, you could return them and get another type of indoor antenna, like the flat one that hangs on the wall or window.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rca-Indoo...&wl13=&veh=sem

Here's a 19" TV that will receive digital signals for $69.99

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sceptre-1...&wl13=&veh=sem

Last edited by Meemur; 06-18-2017 at 09:02 AM..

Old 06-18-2017, 01:37 PM

I just saw this at Walmart...I could buy it and pay the $6.00 shipping. I'm not driving at this time and driving LA is a nightmare anyway.

What do you think:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/span-Medi...nRjq9K8yGgTzfM

Old 06-18-2017, 02:01 PM

Yes! As long as you have a TV that will receive the digital signals, I predict that antenna will work for you. You might not get all 34 channels, but you should get something. And it has a long enough cord that you can move it around a bit.

Important! Remember, if you have an "old" TV (manufactured back from before the change to the digital signals, June 12, 2009), any digital antenna won't work. You need a TV newer than 2009 (or you'll have to mess with a converter box). That's why I also gave you the link to an inexpensive new TV.

Both antenna and TV can be shipped to you.

Let us know how it goes whenever you decide to take the plunge.

Old 06-18-2017, 02:18 PM

Here's a less technical map: it's showing 20 stations around 27 to 28 miles from Santa Monica, all off to the Northeast:

https://nocable.org/availability-rep...anta-monica-ca

Old 06-18-2017, 03:13 PM

I have an old Hitachi 19" and not in the mood to buy a TV, since I don't watch much anyway. I'm still confused.... If only the man who will do this for me had more patience to work with me...but he's old himself and can't be bothered a lot. ummmmmm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House