Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 10:24 AM

3,689 posts, read 10,416,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
Seriously, I am so glad to hear that, as we were thinking of using the ICF to build a house on some land we bought in Missouri. What would you say is an accurate price difference between stick built and ICF? Also, is there a moisture problem at all? I would love to hear the honest truth. Also, if you could comment on the expanding foam that seals all air leakages....Is it going to cause a too-tight, unhealthy environment? How energy-efficient are the air exchangers to run? How do they work...just a fan of some sort? Would love to hear more. Hope this isn't too far off the OP's question.
I usualy dont deal with the stuff once we get the plans out to the builders. So I can only awnser from a Design standpoint. I think our last client that used them ended up spending 25% more than he would have using a standard stick frame. He will probably get that money back in the long run do to the efficency of the blocks. I do not know about moisture since we are in a very dry climate in Colorado where moisture is almost never a problem. (maybe K'ledgebuilder might have more information) Anytime you cut off all air infiltration you can cause a problem for your health, I belive that the energy star rating for five stars will only allow 9% air infiltration which seems to be ok for your health. The air exchangers are called out in the plans done by the HVAC people, and we generaly dont have anyinformation on them. Sorry I could not be of more help. I generaly just call out the use of the green blocks (IFC's) and design for the use of them. We give the space that the HVAC says they need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 11:47 AM

2,505 posts, read 6,148,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
I usualy dont deal with the stuff once we get the plans out to the builders. So I can only awnser from a Design standpoint. I think our last client that used them ended up spending 25% more than he would have using a standard stick frame. He will probably get that money back in the long run do to the efficency of the blocks. I do not know about moisture since we are in a very dry climate in Colorado where moisture is almost never a problem. (maybe K'ledgebuilder might have more information) Anytime you cut off all air infiltration you can cause a problem for your health, I belive that the energy star rating for five stars will only allow 9% air infiltration which seems to be ok for your health. The air exchangers are called out in the plans done by the HVAC people, and we generaly dont have anyinformation on them. Sorry I could not be of more help. I generaly just call out the use of the green blocks (IFC's) and design for the use of them. We give the space that the HVAC says they need.
Thanks Noahma,

Maybe some of the other posters will be able to offer their expertise....anyone? I keep hearing wonderful things about how great it is to live in Colorado. Now, I have to add, dry to the list! Tambre

Old 03-15-2008, 03:56 PM

18 posts, read 80,955 times
Oops, I neglected to check back on this thread in the past week. Lot's of input, thanks to all.

Expanding foam would make a great seal, but what about out-gassing? Isn't this stuff toxic?

Also, anyone ever install an air-to-air heat exchanger? They recapture heat, while exchanging indoor air with outdoor air.

Old 03-15-2008, 04:01 PM

9,414 posts, read 11,159,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
and generally they're pretty ugly to boot!
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 03-15-2008, 04:25 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIborn View Post
Oops, I neglected to check back on this thread in the past week. Lot's of input, thanks to all.

Expanding foam would make a great seal, but what about out-gassing? Isn't this stuff toxic?

Also, anyone ever install an air-to-air heat exchanger? They recapture heat, while exchanging indoor air with outdoor air.
Not the stuff they use in houses. You are thinking of the old stuff they used for commercial warehouses and the like many years ago. New stuff, better product. Way better product.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:44 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,780,145 times
FYI another super insulator that unfortunately didn't get to complete its longevity testing due to hurricane katrina was rice hull insulation. Its organic, won't burn, is considered nuisance waste for the rice industry because they can't incinerate it, has no nutritional value to any critter because its mainly silica making it waterproof/mold resistent, and I got to talk to the guy who was doing the trial first hand. He said its virtually free, if not for the frieght charges. He went into a standard stick built wall with a shop vac on blower mode and filled the walls and attic completely with exception of his attic access panel. The only critter problem he had was indian head moths were trying to nest in it, but with the addition of some diatomous earth to the blown mix it solved everything. It exceeds the foam coverage for cracks and gaps because it doesn't degrade as quickly nor does it respond to temperature changes, which he claims made the R value more like 30 or better. It also let him know when the problem was outside sheathing if he saw some hulls in the landscaping surround. I've unfortunately lost contact with him since katrina but hopefully someone else has since put this material to the test. I hear some folks in washington or colorado are promoting its use. It's a win win because it also reduces the waste stream. Owens corning might finally have met its rival. I couldn't find negative reports on rice hulls anywhere.

New construction projects for energy efficiency seem to push for weather envelopes around the house that oftentimes serve as indoor/outdoor spaces like solariums or greenhouses. A blueprint for my own design incorporates that plan and still allows for a healthier flow and solar powered humidity sequestering. The greater the buffer to the core temp of the house, the less BTU's is the general philosphy. Should you be in an area where real estate cost is prohibitive pricing, then leaning on the layered materials in smaller spaces makes more sense.

I've heard good things about geodesic domes, but I can't even begin to guess how they manage hvac efficiently with a vaulting cathedral ceiling. I'm thinkin- dayum thats more math to account for alpine elevation. hahahaa

Retrofitting older construction I was told by a contractor that fan fold insulation under siding works well, but I have no personal experience with this material, nor have I met a home owner to report its performance, so you'll have to ask around on that keyword.
Good luck on your project, and thanks for your efforts.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:17 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
| StrawBale.com

Sourcebook Straw Bale

Old 05-04-2008, 06:32 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
http://www.eere.energy.gov/buildings/info/documents/pdfs/35317.pdf (broken link)

The Zero Energy Homes Project
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House