U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 11:02 AM

57 posts, read 19,771 times

Advertisements

Hi, I need a home inspector and a pest inspector for buying a home in either Missouri City or Sugar Land. If you know of good and thorough ones, can you please tell me? Please tell me their names, company names, contact phone numbers, or website URLs.

Thank you for your time and effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 12:27 PM

10,716 posts, read 19,061,208 times
You need to ask this in the Houston form. http://www.city-data.com/forum/houston/

Old 05-15-2017, 03:17 PM

Thank you. I did and have not got an answer there yet! A Houston thread had been moved to here. That was why I tried to post it here!

Old 05-15-2017, 03:47 PM

5,586 posts, read 11,850,350 times
Home inspectors are a joke. Most can't build a dog house and do it close to right. Especially in Texas where pretty much all you need to be an inspector is have a warm body. My sisters family is loaded with them so I talk from experience with these guys. But, you might find one that has a clue via NACHI, which is an association of Real Estate Inspectors. They don't simply accept your license, you have to pass their test to be a member. Here's their membership list in Houston:
Your Find An Inspector Results From InspectorSeek

Old 05-16-2017, 09:06 AM

7,699 posts, read 10,074,906 times
Sorry, but you posted some factually incorrect info. NACHI just costs $499 a year to join and has no separate testing to be a member. In fact I don't think you even need to be a home inspector to join. The do have a certification program that's no additional cost and mostly just some additional training they have plus taking an exam online where there are no limits to how many times you can take it until you pass.

The Texas Real Estate Commision does license home inspectors. https://www.trec.texas.gov/become-licensed/inspector

Now, whether someone should be able to build a house in order to inspect it is up for debate I guess.

Using the Inspectorseek site is fine, but a real estate agent or mortgage broker should have a list of people they have used as well. If they have just one to recommend I'd be a bit leery, but as long as they have several, there should be no conflict in talking to them and picking one.

Last edited by Sherifftruman; 05-16-2017 at 09:22 AM..

Old 05-16-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
has no separate testing to be a member.
Sorry, but you're wrong. NACHI has a 5 part test that you must pass or they won't take your money. I'm an Associate Member of NACHI and even I had to pass their test. Nope, not a licensed Real Estate Inspector in Texas and don't need their license, I'm a PE. The only thing that gives any credence to NACHI is the test they have. It is for all of the USA combined. It will ask a significant amount of questions about basements that generally would not apply in Texas, we just don't dig under our houses here. I'm sure you'll find a NACHI inspector that is just as clueless as most of them packing a State license but the test limits them.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:18 AM

Thank you for all your inputs, Sherifftruman and TrapperL!

Old 05-16-2017, 10:56 AM

7,699 posts, read 10,074,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Sorry, but you're wrong. NACHI has a 5 part test that you must pass or they won't take your money. I'm an Associate Member of NACHI and even I had to pass their test. Nope, not a licensed Real Estate Inspector in Texas and don't need their license, I'm a PE. The only thing that gives any credence to NACHI is the test they have. It is for all of the USA combined. It will ask a significant amount of questions about basements that generally would not apply in Texas, we just don't dig under our houses here. I'm sure you'll find a NACHI inspector that is just as clueless as most of them packing a State license but the test limits them.
I'm a licensed inspector in NC (and general contractor) and had been thinking of joining NACHI anyway if only for the access to CE courses instead of doing them here or there with other companies as before, so I just did. I can assure you that there was no testing involved between seeing this post at 11:06 and receiving my email from them saying I'm all good at 11:19. Just gave them my name and contact info and 500 bucks.

They may well have changed their requirements over time. Here's their page for membership https://www.nachi.org/membership.htm

Could you also be thinking of these guys? http://homeinspectionexam.org

Old 05-16-2017, 11:14 AM

68 posts, read 46,634 times
Hi,
I think the Internet is the best source for finding home inspectors and Pest inspectors in a specific area. You can also ask to your friends or family members.
Thanks!!

Old 05-16-2017, 06:28 PM

NACHI hasn't changed anything in the regards to passing their test to become a NACHI Certified Inspector. They will take your money, yes, but to become a NACHI Certified Inspector and get on their membership list, you MUST take and pass their test. Here's step 2 of the process better known as the test:
https://www.nachi.org/aboutexam.htm

In regards to the CEUs, you'd have to ask your States requirements about that. In Texas, their website training does not qualify for the annual CEU requirements. In Texas we have to go to a classroom environment for 16 hours a year. Our local college does it, sometimes I teach it, depending on the subject matter. Foundations and structural component framing are the subjects I'm usually asked to teach/review. My sisters uncle in law teaches the WDI part, if you have that license. If you don't have it, you're missing a huge revenue stream on just the inspections. Any WDI treatments are a bonus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or