Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 09:30 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I am updating my kitchen because it is dark, dreary, and screams "80s" and "country" even though it was build in the mid-90s. I am not at all trendy, and I also like what I like. But I don't like a kitchen that was done in such a manner that it does not look clean and classic - I prefer a more timeless look.

https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/1353...-kitchen-style
Hey, you do you. I had a similar kitchen, though it wasn't dark, but my home is a traditional "country style" home so I guess the kitchen matched that look. I upgraded some because I, too, didn't care for the look. I installed granite and glass tiles, and I don't really care whether or not what I've installed will become dated now or in the future. that is why I said what I said. Some people are concerned about that stuff...I sure am not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 10:07 AM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Hey, you do you. I had a similar kitchen, though it wasn't dark, but my home is a traditional "country style" home so I guess the kitchen matched that look. I upgraded some because I, too, didn't care for the look. I installed granite and glass tiles, and I don't really care whether or not what I've installed will become dated now or in the future. that is why I said what I said. Some people are concerned about that stuff...I sure am not.
I don't think I made my point well.

My point was, I am NOT a person concerned with trends. I DO like what I like, period. I felt like you were saying that people that update, are trying to be trendy. I am certainly not. My personal tastes have always been my lead, and I have always disliked the country look, which used to be popular (even tho I did not like it then) and now looks very datedto me,, in my own home. My apologies if I minterpreted what you wrote.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:31 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,296,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It's my understanding that the resin in quartz counter tops can be damaged by heat. So, if you are careful to never set any hot pans on it, you will be OK. If you are careless, it can be damaged.
I've got a "halo" on my Cambria quartz (the size of a medium saucepan) ... just to prove that the resin is in there!

Old 05-24-2017, 11:12 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,877 times
Quote:
I am updating my kitchen because it is dark, dreary, and screams "80s" and "country" even though it was build in the mid-90s. I am not at all trendy, and I also like what I like. But I don't like a kitchen that was done in such a manner that it does not look clean and classic - I prefer a more timeless look.

https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/1353...-kitchen-style
Anything installed today will not be timeless. It's impossible

Old 05-24-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Anything installed today will not be timeless. It's impossible
Okay.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
That is just not true. Quartz is indeed harder than granite (it may also be a major component of granite as is feldspar) but "quartz" products as Silestone, Caesarstone, etc. have their hardness compromised when they are crushed and combined with plastics (manmade ingredients) to make those artificial products. And "quartz" is indeed artificial rather than natural as it does not appear in nature just as concrete, though made of natural components is an artificial material.

There is nothing wrong with preferring "quartz" to granite but one should understand the difference
I agree. One should. Quartz IS harder. And while is certainly is "engineered", most people don't consider it as "artificial". It IS 97% natural ground quartz. As you said, beauty IS in the eye of the beholder, and since it is VERY popular, I think it's also thought of as attractive.

https://www.thespruce.com/quartz-vs-...ertops-1822078

Granite vs. Quartz: Is One Better Than The Other? | HGTV's Decorating & Design Blog | HGTV

Granite vs. Quartz Countertops | CounterTop Guides

https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevorn.../#196cb09196cb

Old 05-24-2017, 08:56 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Do some people honestly have no bigger problem in their lives than to sit and worry about something in their house starting to look dated? Sorry, I had to say that. I must be envious.

Old 05-25-2017, 03:01 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
I agree. One should. Quartz IS harder. And while is certainly is "engineered", most people don't consider it as "artificial". It IS 97% natural ground quartz. As you said, beauty IS in the eye of the beholder, and since it is VERY popular, I think it's also thought of as attractive.

https://www.thespruce.com/quartz-vs-...ertops-1822078

Granite vs. Quartz: Is One Better Than The Other? | HGTV's Decorating & Design Blog | HGTV

Granite vs. Quartz Countertops | CounterTop Guides

https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevorn.../#196cb09196cb
If "most people" are ignorant to the fact that "quartz" products are fake stone, not real, that is probably testament to the marketing job the producers of the material have been doing. Those fake stone slabs are 5 to 8% plastic, not 3% and calling these products quartz is not just erroneous, it is dishonest.

As I said earlier, you're entitled to your opinion; I disagree - but I also won't accept that meatloaf is superior to steak.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
If "most people" are ignorant to the fact that "quartz" products are fake stone, not real, that is probably testament to the marketing job the producers of the material have been doing. Those fake stone slabs are 5 to 8% plastic, not 3% and calling these products quartz is not just erroneous, it is dishonest.

As I said earlier, you're entitled to your opinion; I disagree - but I also won't accept that meatloaf is superior to steak.
LOL. Taste in food has nothing to do with geology. Quartz is marketed accurately I think - it's absurd to assume that anyone is "ignorant" here. Quartz is harder, and more maintenance-free. It is very popular. That was my point. And most granites are also topped with resin, to improve porosity. So there is a "plastic" component to 85% of the granites sold. But you go eat whatever you like.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:40 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Do some people honestly have no bigger problem in their lives than to sit and worry about something in their house starting to look dated? Sorry, I had to say that. I must be envious.
LOL

Other than your personal taste, it only matters when you try to sell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House