Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2017, 08:26 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,481,472 times

Advertisements

One of the things I didn't like so much about my house when I bought it was that the kitchen seemed dark. I want to lighten it up a little, but I also know this is my starter home and I don't plan on staying here (I am thinking of moving in 5-6 years).

The counter tops are a black and coffee colored granite, the cabinets are a gunstock stain color, and the floor is hardwood stained a colonial maple or maybe even a cherry color (been looking at stain colors online and it's between the two really). Most of the appliances are black except the stove which is an off white and black. The wallpaper is a cream color. maybe with a hint of pink. There is one window and the is one light fixture in the middle of the room. So it's dark.

Overall, the footprint is okay. It's designed as an eat in kitchen and I have a small table in there with two chairs. I wish I had a little more storage, but I don't plan on staying here so I don't want to go overboard. I just want to freshen up the room a little and make it brighter.

So over all, the kitchen is a little dated, but in fair shape. Some things have been improved and it's very functional.

I am thinking about resurfacing the cabinets to a lighter color (maybe a cream or off-white color, or even a pickle oak color to lighten it up and make it more appealing to me as well as a buyer in the future, but mainly to me). I also want to update the hardware.

I already decided I will not be replacing the cabinets at all. It might ruin the granite and I don't want to spend a whole lot of money in a kitchen I won't have in about five years. If the cabinets I have right now aren't good candidates for resurfacing, I might just replace the hardware (it's ugly and easy to replace) and leave it at that. I will just let the next buyer update the kitchen they way they want.

I've been reading a lot about resurfacing and here are my questions:

1) Everything says you can resurface if the "bones" of the cabinets are good (some say "great quality" but I think that's mainly cabinet companies trying to sell more expensive cabinets. Good should be good enough). How can you tell if the bones are good? My cabinet boxes seem pretty solid and they are wood. The shelves are in decent shape (but I think they are pressboard with a laminate over it) for the cabinet under the sink (looks like the sink leaked there once and warped the bottom). The doors are pretty cheap feeling, but I will be replacing the doors. The bottoms of the drawers are only stapled in. I've actually restapled a few because the bottoms were falling out. But I think the drawers would be totally replaced.

2) I am trying to decide if I should make this a DIY project (it seems like a fair amount of work, but nothing so out of the ordinary that I can't do it and I really like working on my house) But is this something better left to professionals? I am just trying to figure out if this is one of those things where too much can go wrong and it's best to have someone experienced helping me (or maybe just doing the project). My thought is, if I screw it up, then I can always call someone. I may also be able to get my boyfriend to help me (he's already offered to help me replace the toilets, which is another project on my list).

3) I also wonder about my color choices. I am not a designer type of person to be honest. I know this will be hard to answer without actually seeing the kitchen, but does anyone know of way where I can see what the kitchen might look like with the cabinet colors I picked? I am hoping there is some sort of website out there where you can plug in a picture of one's kitchen and then can change elements of it to see what it will look like. Or can anyone tell me if my idea for the medium dark wood floors, light colored cabinets, and leaving the dark granite is a really bad idea for some reason?

On an aside, I am also considering adding under cabinet lighting to brighten things up. I am considering recessed lighting too, but I am not sure yet as I I don't want to swing to too bright (lest it feel too cold). Might do the simpler under-counter option first and see how it looks.

Last edited by BellaLind; 05-19-2017 at 08:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 09:23 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
the kitchen seemed dark. I want to lighten it up a little,
...and I don't plan on staying here (I am thinking of moving in 5-6 years).
Your timeline is too short to justify the expense of any properly done job.

If you bought low enough relative to comps with updated kitchens...
you might be able to justify installing new UPPER cabinets and enjoying them for 5-6yrs.
Your buyer might feel the same way but if not then THEY can do the rest of the job.

But it's VERY hard for most to not take that sort of idea and not go overboard with it
leading to the lower cabs and countertops and light fixtures and flooring etc etc.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Your timeline is too short to justify the expense of any properly done job.

If you bought low enough relative to comps with updated kitchens...
you might be able to justify installing new UPPER cabinets and enjoying them for 5-6yrs.
Your buyer might feel the same way but if not then THEY can do the rest of the job.

But it's VERY hard for most to not take that sort of idea and not go overboard with it
leading to the lower cabs and countertops and light fixtures and flooring etc etc.
Thanks! I was wondering about that. I am very lucky that I bought the place right at the end of the real estate downturn (as it was just starting to go back up). I got it for $380 and comps in my neighborhood are selling now for $475- $500k (sale price, not asking although they are mostly the same thing). But most of the higher end sales have redone kitchens and baths. The lower end ones are like mine. It seems like to really redo the kitchen nice would be over $25k and therefore, not worth it. I was hoping to do refacing at about $5000 (what I read says to expect $2,500-$6,000 for wood veneer). That's for a professional. The estimated is $500 if DIY.

The home across the street from mine is the same model and looking at the pictures I can see it has the same cabinets, same kind of wall paper and oddly enough the same looking granite countertops (weird). It just sold for $475. They have under cabinet lighting and a built in microwave (I have neither. I have a vent hood over my stove).

I don't think I would just resurface the upper cabinets. I think that would look odd. Besides. I only have six under cabinets.

Last edited by BellaLind; 05-19-2017 at 09:58 AM..

Old 05-19-2017, 09:58 AM

761 posts, read 604,688 times
Personally, I would focus on brighter lighting that's easily do-able,
remove the curtains (if you are using them in the window) and get a folded paper shade
which raises up all the way not blocking natural light.
Paint the walls light, if they aren't.
and be done.

If you'll be moving in a few years, even what you are planning on doing will look dated.

Mr.Rational said it best.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidaldream View Post
Personally, I would focus on brighter lighting that's easily do-able,
remove the curtains (if you are using them in the window) and get a folded paper shade
which raises up all the way not blocking natural light.
Paint the walls light, if they aren't.
and be done.

If you'll be moving in a few years, even what you are planning on doing will look dated.

Mr.Rational said it best.
I think you are both right now that I've read it in someone else's words. I have heavy wood blinds in the kitchen. I shy away from eliminating them because then pedestrians can see in my house at night (and I like the privacy). But lighting options are a good thing. I might start with under cabinet lighting since that's my biggest pet peeve with the darkness.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:39 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
The cabinets in my kitchen were dated oak cabinets. I wanted white to go with my new stainless appliances when we moved in.

My husband researched and figured out how to do this himself. He studied, watched videos, etc. Bought a fairly pricey paint sprayer on Amazon as well as special paint. He has done an amazing job so I know it can be done.

He is very talented with home renovation, not a contractor, but hands on and DIY. Nine more doors to go and the kitchen cabinets will be done. Cannot wait to get granite and a new sink installed.

The kitchen had horrid BROWN paint on the walls, brown tile and those awful oak cabinets and speckled formica countertops. Very very dark. So now my kitchen is bright, with Navajo White wall color, cream tile with very light brown grout, white cabinets, and I'm going for the Santa Cecelia granite.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:34 PM

482 posts, read 902,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
The cabinets in my kitchen were dated oak cabinets. I wanted white to go with my new stainless appliances when we moved in.

My husband researched and figured out how to do this himself. He studied, watched videos, etc. Bought a fairly pricey paint sprayer on Amazon as well as special paint. He has done an amazing job so I know it can be done.

He is very talented with home renovation, not a contractor, but hands on and DIY. Nine more doors to go and the kitchen cabinets will be done. Cannot wait to get granite and a new sink installed.

The kitchen had horrid BROWN paint on the walls, brown tile and those awful oak cabinets and speckled formica countertops. Very very dark. So now my kitchen is bright, with Navajo White wall color, cream tile with very light brown grout, white cabinets, and I'm going for the Santa Cecelia granite.
How did he hide the oak grain ? That is one of my concerns about painting mine white.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:22 PM

324 posts, read 331,021 times
I used rustoleum cabinet kits 3 times one property was sold after 3 years and the only issue there was one drawer that was getting most use paint rubbed off behind the handle due to constant use. 2nd property was done about 5 years ago, it's has been a rental for last 3, I saw in in Feb. Still looks good no issues. 3rd property was done about 1.5 year's ago for my mom also no issues there. So overall I would recommend it. It takes time to prep it but it was not bad. If you serch a lot of pictures have dark after pic. I used cream on all 3 and a bit of stain in groves freshen up kitchens big time. So if you don't want to replace cabinets as a temporary (years) solution it's good.

Last edited by allsunny; 05-22-2017 at 07:26 PM.. Reason: Can't spell

Old 05-22-2017, 09:00 PM

Well, as an update... I checked out of curiosity and my cabinets are not good candidates for resurfacing. Replacement is out of my price range so nothing is going to happen except maybe a good cleaning and some furniture scuff hider to freshen them up. I am getting the under counter lighting though. I think that will help a lot.

Old 05-23-2017, 03:04 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,756 times
My cabinets were dated from the 1980's, medium tone knotty pine look, but wood, so I painted them white. I used a foam roller to get a good smooth finish. I changed the hardware to brushed nickel. It brightened up the kitchen tremendously. They have held up great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House