Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 06:11 PM

61,700 posts, read 87,101,195 times

Advertisements

Ask for help/leave a note:
Do you have any helpful neighbors?
Friends at your rescue group?
Church community?
Hobby group?
Local general store?
Neighborhood community meetings/Community House/Event Hall? etc.
Anyone?

If not: can you try to put a repellant around that house, or your yard?
Try fencing?
Buy a trap & trap the beast yourself? Or use lethal trap? They are small creatures...
http://www.havahart.com/how-to-get-rid-of-groundhogs
Woodchuck / Groundhog Trapping Tips & Bait
Use this lure with live trap:
Pro-Pest Professional Lures for Groundhogs Woodchucks | Free Shipping
Buy a trap:
https://www.amazon.com/Havahart-Prof.../dp/B000IHDRXM
How To Get Rid of Woodchucks - Groundhog Control
Live Groundhog & Woodchuck Traps - Havahart®
Fumigate?
Giant Destroyer Smoke Bombs
Use a repellent:
https://www.hunker.com/12216566/home...dhog-repellent
Our top secret groundhog repellent | Speed River Journal

Almanac tips:
How to Get Rid of Groundhogs | Woodchuck Pest Control | The Old Farmer's Almanac

Good luck!!

Last edited by elnina; 06-01-2017 at 06:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 06:48 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,520 posts, read 6,327,014 times
Not sure how close your garage is to your house. I managed to get rid of the GD groundhogs trying to build condos under my barn by poking used cat litter down all their holes. I have a few cats so I have a steady supply of cat brownies. It took about a month to get rid of them and they haven't been back.

Old 06-01-2017, 06:52 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,671,494 times
You can try to trap the enormous groundhogs, or otherwise eliminate the ones that come on your property. Before trapping them, check whether it is legal to relocate wildlife in your area (and realize that relocation is generally a death sentence).

If you can shoot them, don't go for the cheapest airgun in the local big box store and expect to get a quick and humane kill on these tough little pests.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:51 PM

6,149 posts, read 4,514,052 times
I'm guessing you don't have a dog or want one? Cat? I don't know anything about groundhogs, but can you plant something they hate? Or sprinkle something around? They have some kind of motion-activated things that spray water. I just googled groundhog repellent and apparently there are some things, so give it a try and see if anything is affordable/doable for you.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:17 PM

10,894 posts, read 7,386,537 times
You might try calling the Health Department. A "falling down wreck" sounds like a health hazard.

Did you really complain about your neighbor not mowing her back yard? That's not going to help your credibility with the county.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:39 AM

30,523 posts, read 16,217,604 times
Newspaper? Facebook? Blog?

Old 06-02-2017, 06:05 AM

370 posts, read 446,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
... their next suggestion was that I shoot it. Since I don't own a gun and have never fired one, that's out. In the long run, it will ultimately be cheaper to install buried groundhog barrier (steel bars) than hire a trapper at $500 for 5 days. He might trap THIS groundhog, but what if there's another one later on (which is very likely.) ...

Basically it's tough luck - this is the boonies.
*SINCE YOU SAY YOU ARE RURAL*

There are plenty of women who hunt and use guns. Did you know that most farmers and people who live in the country use guns to control critters or varmints?

For your safety above all and for a fun time on the porch, get a .22 rifle and setup some cans near that yard and target shot. My grandfather had a .22 rifle just inside his back porch door. He would shot crows and rats that would forage in his vegetable gardens.

Our American government simply does not have enough tax revenue to control varmint populations in the city much less rural property. It's an unspoken truth that we the people must do our part to maintain our land and no one should fault you for it.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:41 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times
Get a .22 rifle. Learn how to operate it. Use it!

I'm kind of surprised you don't have one, since you say you live "in the boonies".

I grew up in a rural area, so I also grew up learning how to shoot a .22 pretty early in life. Whenever we had "varmints", my dad, or my mom, or myself, would take the .22 and eliminate the problem. This worked on raccoons, woodchucks, muskrats, skunks, etc. (Be prepared for a fragrant yard if you shoot a skunk - if they are out dayside, they are probably rabid, so better a fragrant yard with dead skunk, though, than a live skunk).

Old 06-02-2017, 07:14 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
You might try calling the Health Department. A "falling down wreck" sounds like a health hazard.

Did you really complain about your neighbor not mowing her back yard? That's not going to help your credibility with the county.
Yup, I called the Health Department about the abandoned house; they don't care. The owner is indigent and can't afford to clean up the property, so the county won't pay for it either.

As far as complaining about my neighbor not mowing her back yard, I asked the Zoning Department (without identifying myself, btw) about their oversight, if any, of a property where the back yard has not been mowed in over 3 YEARS. I'm tolerant, but even I think that's just a bit too much. The weeds there are over 7 feet tall. That's going to hurt MY credibility? Sheesh!

Oh, and BTW, the county zoning department said they don't care.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:20 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
If it's abandoned, why hasn't it been sold for taxes, or foreclosed on? You don't pay your property taxes and things usually start happening...
The owner inherited the house from her late mother, free and clear, and I'm sue can at least afford to pay the low property taxes here on her monthly SSDI income (one month's SSDI will pay the annual taxes.) Now that she is living with a friend at the local trailer park, she's actually in better financial shape. The electricity and water to the house have been disconnected, so no bills there. I have no idea why she just doesn't sell the property, as 1.5 acres with sewer/water in our community would bring good money, but I suspect she holds onto the house, dilapidated as it is, because it was her and her Mom's home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House