Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 08:43 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times

Advertisements

Offer to buy the house for peanuts. To sweeten the deal, offer to pay the back taxes as well.

Fix up the house in your spare time. Rent it out to her, or to anyone, or else flip it for a profit.

Problem solved!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 09:18 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Offer to buy the house for peanuts. To sweeten the deal, offer to pay the back taxes as well.

Fix up the house in your spare time. Rent it out to her, or to anyone, or else flip it for a profit.

Problem solved!
Haha! Nope, no way, no how. I was in the house when her Mom was in the hospital to check on her cat. The house was in absolutely abysmal shape then, with the kitchen floor dropping a full foot downward from termites. The back porch is a haven for critters; in fact, she used to complain about raccoons coming in the house. It hasn't been heated for over 5 years, even when she was still living there - she couldn't afford heating oil and the county wouldn't give her a voucher. The Masonite siding is rotting off too.

Bluntly, the house is a teardown and I'm not in the new house construction business.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:49 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
Well..... if you're really out in East Chippippi and no one will do anything, maybe consider moving closer to civilization yourself?

If you own your home, it won't be worth much in future if the neighbors are all members of the Joad family.

You might be happier in the long run.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Well..... if you're really out in East Chippippi and no one will do anything, maybe consider moving closer to civilization yourself?

If you own your home, it won't be worth much in future if the neighbors are all members of the Joad family.

You might be happier in the long run.
I'm not at the back of beyond. I live in a rural county but I'm 2 blocks from a major Naval base, which is the largest employer for the county. It was established here 99 years ago precisely due to the proximity to the river, so they could shoot naval guns downriver. My neighbors are mostly lovely people who are almost all retirees of the Naval base, like me, or widowed spouses of former employees. Like I said in an earlier post, 99.5% of them keep their properties beautifully, and even I envy some of them their highly manicured lawns. Most lots are large and extremely well-landscaped; it's just THIS house that has been abandoned and is decrepit and attracts critters that come over to MY yard. The one good thing is that the vegetation is growing so fast around the house that it's almost no longer visible at all - and it's a 2 story house.

Anyway, I've vented enough and the animal control (private company) people are coming Tuesday to install expensive groundhog fencing deep into the perimeter around my garage. I look forward to it!

Old 06-02-2017, 10:45 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
You might try calling the Health Department. A "falling down wreck" sounds like a health hazard.

Did you really complain about your neighbor not mowing her back yard? That's not going to help your credibility with the county.
What is wrong with that? My county has a grass height limit and they will enforce it. Not that anyone needs to go crazy if a neighbor misses a weekly mowing, but if a property is becoming overgrown, it is a legitimate concern.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:50 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,756 times
I recently had the choice of buying a house in a more developed county or in the neighboring less developed, less expensive county. This thread is a perfect example of why I chose the county with higher taxes. I am used to living in the suburbs and I want a government that has codes and will enforce them. I don't mind paying more for that.

Old 06-02-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
I recently had the choice of buying a house in a more developed county or in the neighboring less developed, less expensive county. This thread is a perfect example of why I chose the county with higher taxes. I am used to living in the suburbs and I want a government that has codes and will enforce them. I don't mind paying more for that.
Eh, I started the thread to vent about one abandoned house and one groundhog. Sure, it's annoying, but I'll deal with that any day along with living 3 blocks from the river, having bald eagles and osprey fly over my house, and driving through farmlands and over multiple streams and creeks to get to the beach twenty minutes away. Oh, and having property taxes less than $800/year.

Old 06-02-2017, 12:40 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Buy the house and lot, tear down the house, declare victory. We did something similar recently. Bad neighbor - gone!

Old 06-02-2017, 12:41 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Haha! Nope, no way, no how. I was in the house when her Mom was in the hospital to check on her cat. The house was in absolutely abysmal shape then, with the kitchen floor dropping a full foot downward from termites. The back porch is a haven for critters; in fact, she used to complain about raccoons coming in the house. It hasn't been heated for over 5 years, even when she was still living there - she couldn't afford heating oil and the county wouldn't give her a voucher. The Masonite siding is rotting off too.

Bluntly, the house is a teardown and I'm not in the new house construction business.
Do you know anyone who is in that business? Damn shame about the house, owner let it fall into disrepair, but won't willingly sell because of sentimental attachment. But she does not seem to realize that she has already "killed" the house. Maybe someone "in the biz" could show her what the actual situation is, get her to sell the lot and teardown house for a fair but reasonable price?

Old 06-02-2017, 01:20 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I'm not at the back of beyond. I live in a rural county but I'm 2 blocks from a major Naval base, which is the largest employer for the county. It was established here 99 years ago precisely due to the proximity to the river, so they could shoot naval guns downriver. My neighbors are mostly lovely people who are almost all retirees of the Naval base, like me, or widowed spouses of former employees. Like I said in an earlier post, 99.5% of them keep their properties beautifully, and even I envy some of them their highly manicured lawns. Most lots are large and extremely well-landscaped; it's just THIS house that has been abandoned and is decrepit and attracts critters that come over to MY yard. The one good thing is that the vegetation is growing so fast around the house that it's almost no longer visible at all - and it's a 2 story house.

Anyway, I've vented enough and the animal control (private company) people are coming Tuesday to install expensive groundhog fencing deep into the perimeter around my garage. I look forward to it!

Why not try the Navy. Maybe some seamen will help you in their spare time.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House