Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 12:15 PM

309 posts, read 322,699 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I need your help. We had a new HVAC complete system installed including air handler. About 3 months down the road in the bathroom we started smelling musty smell. We don't know where it was coming from. We thought it was sewer. So one day in the evening i closed the bathroom door and A/C set to 76 went to bed. In the am the bathroom was musty. It was bad we had to open windows. I went to the crawl space to check the crawl space is big that i can walk in. The crawl space smelled the same as the bathroom. We have a big plastic covering the ground in the crawl space. The HVAC i would say it is below the bathroom and on the 1st floor. The 2nd unit upstairs is okay.

I don't smell it in the living not sure if it is because of high ceiling?

What do you all think is going on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2017, 12:33 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartdurhamnc View Post
...i closed the bathroom door and A/C set to 76 went to bed.
In the am the bathroom was musty.
Bathrooms don't have any return grills.

Quote:
The crawl space smelled the same as the bathroom
Is your ductwork well sealed at the joints and insulated?

Old 06-03-2017, 12:46 PM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times
One thought: since bathrooms don't have any return grills (as above poster said), and bathrooms are usually pretty small rooms, when you set the HVAC and closed the bathroom door, you essentially prevented the room from getting any air conditioning, I think, because of pressure buildup. So, it would smell musty. Maybe, as the above poster said, there are leaks in the supply tubing and the pressure buildup caused air to come out those leaks. Just why it smells musty (the same as down in the crawl space), I don't know.

I love mysteries! Anxious to hear other people's thoughts.

Old 06-03-2017, 06:26 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,012,094 times
Quote:
Hello all,

I need your help. We had a new HVAC complete system installed including air handler. About 3 months down the road in the bathroom we started smelling musty smell. We don't know where it was coming from. We thought it was sewer. So one day in the evening i closed the bathroom door and A/C set to 76 went to bed. In the am the bathroom was musty. It was bad we had to open windows. I went to the crawl space to check the crawl space is big that i can walk in. The crawl space smelled the same as the bathroom. We have a big plastic covering the ground in the crawl space. The HVAC i would say it is below the bathroom and on the 1st floor. The 2nd unit upstairs is okay.

I don't smell it in the living not sure if it is because of high ceiling?

Google "Dirty Sock Syndrome". That'll tell you everything you need to know.

Old 06-04-2017, 02:14 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times
Migosh! Who knew! We have our HVAC system cleaned/tuned up every year and I wonder if they take action to avoid these problems when they come out each year. I will have to ask them. The article did say it didn't matter whether the unit was new or not, these problems can happen.

Old 06-04-2017, 10:23 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Get a humidity meter and see what it says in the bathroom. If someone in your house takes nighttime baths/showers, it may be extremely humid in there. Setting the AC at 76 isn't going to be low enough to dry it out and you'll get the musty smell. In my old house, if I took a shower later in the day when the AC was set a higher temperature, the bathroom would not dry out as well and the towels would mildew. I would have to move them into the other bathroom that was next to the dehumidifier.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:55 PM

621 posts, read 1,122,970 times
If the odor is localized I wouldn't start with A/C as it serves the whole house. I'd look for signs of dampness under the bathroom. You can pick up a moisture meter suitable for checking wood levels for not much money.

Old 06-04-2017, 10:41 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
It's basically a moisture buildup with no air circulation. Open a bathroom window or install a vent.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:20 PM

309 posts, read 322,699 times
We have a/c vent in the bathroom and also the exhaust fan. We don't take shower in the evening and when we take a shower we always turn the fan on.

With Dirty sock syndrome i think the whole house would smell right?

Old 06-06-2017, 05:26 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
We have a/c (inlet) vent in the bathroom and also the exhaust fan.
But you don't have an AC outlet vent nor is the exhaust fan running all the time.

Quote:
With Dirty sock syndrome...
Whether you have that or not the first question to determine is whether the source
of the odors is INSIDE the ductwork or being drawn into it somehow such as through
unsealed joints.

Once under the house you might notice some other source of odor immediately below
that room in particular ... such as a bad waste line joint in the pipes there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House