Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 01:23 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,586,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I have various different contractor skills and licneces for this very reason as well as a large collection of tools. I may start collecting equipment as well (bob cat, etc) so that I am not having to deal with these guys. Major, major head ach.
So in otherwords you are a failed contractor? The only way to get those licenses is to show proof of working in the trade for a minimum of 4 years usually. I know here you can't get an electrical license without showing your state journeyman certificate which requires a 4 year 8000 hour on the job training.

You hate dealing with contractors because they hate dealing with you. I get guys like you that call me from time to time and give me stories like "yeah i know how to do this stuff i'm just too busy" "yeah i'm a licensed plumber i run my own business i can do the electrical work" "yeah this stuff is easy the guy at home depot will tell me step by step" "you can do all this by simply watching youtube"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 09:07 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,110,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
So in otherwords you are a failed contractor? The only way to get those licenses is to show proof of working in the trade for a minimum of 4 years usually. I know here you can't get an electrical license without showing your state journeyman certificate which requires a 4 year 8000 hour on the job training.

You hate dealing with contractors because they hate dealing with you. I get guys like you that call me from time to time and give me stories like "yeah i know how to do this stuff i'm just too busy" "yeah i'm a licensed plumber i run my own business i can do the electrical work" "yeah this stuff is easy the guy at home depot will tell me step by step" "you can do all this by simply watching youtube"

I have the engineering equivalents (professional engineering licence) and I can do work on my own stuff, I am not licenced to work for other people. Usually a vendor or an insurance company or the govt compells me to hire someone who is licenced and I cant always leverage my engineering licence to just do it myself. Some stuff at homedepot is ok but most stuff I go where the contractors go or order online.

Some youtube videos are REALLY good.

Never the less none of that is a reason for contractors to cop an attitude or give quotes they know are out of line ... because "how dare this guy not grovel and pander to me, im a licenced electrician"

Old 06-10-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
A contractor has no obligation to itemize a bill. A price is a price simple as that take it or leave it.
I agree requiring itemization is kinda strange, I can build out my own spread sheet and know where the contractor should be coming in at, im not going to beat someone up on a few percentage high if I know they wont do shotty work, but if it comes in sky high then they wont get the work.

Alot of these contractors prey on govt agencies that have open check books and incompetent burocrates issuing the contracts or joe the home owner who is going to have to take out a second mortage to line the contractors pockets.

Contractors rely on incompetence in others in alot of cases that I have seen, if we had a society of people that knew how to do stuff but just didnt have the time that would be reflected in the quotes. Someone who knows how to do something is only going to pay so much otherwise they will make the time if all 3 quotes are fleece deals. But when someone has absolutly no ability then they have to take the kick to the nuts because otherwise more and more damage will occure to their property.

Old 06-10-2017, 10:40 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
I had a problem even getting them to come out to my house. Then they'd come to my house and want a crazy down payment and not even give me a start date. Several missed a major and obvious issue. It was a time consuming and tedious process.

You just have to be persistent. I ended up with a great company. They had videos and pictures of different areas of my roof and attic to show me exactly what was going on and also anticipated problems. They Explained in very clear language what they were doing and gave me a contract. They weren't the cheapest, but they were worth every penny. I thought they were fair and honest.

Incidentally, this company had really good support staff. Their office manager was on point.

Old 06-11-2017, 01:24 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
I can't even get them to come to my house! I finally got a guy to come out 2 weeks ago (contacted him mid-March simply to see if he had recommendations in my area and he offered). He was to get the quote to me early last week - NADDA. I've contacted a few others over the past 3-4 years and don't even get a return call/email. So what happens if I eventually contract with someone and then have a problem down the road?!

These were all referrals from people I know and trust too. I still have a few more but it's getting to the point where I really need this roof done.

Old 06-11-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I can't even get them to come to my house! I finally got a guy to come out 2 weeks ago (contacted him mid-March simply to see if he had recommendations in my area and he offered). He was to get the quote to me early last week - NADDA. I've contacted a few others over the past 3-4 years and don't even get a return call/email. So what happens if I eventually contract with someone and then have a problem down the road?!

These were all referrals from people I know and trust too. I still have a few more but it's getting to the point where I really need this roof done.
You may have to do it yourself, if there is alot of govt spending in your area then they may be flush with davis bacon govt work. When you start seeing lavishness pop up like luxury hangars with lear jets in them at the muni airport that once only had old cessnas then you know theres govt money being doled out.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:57 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
A contractor has no obligation to itemize a bill. A price is a price simple as that take it or leave it.
And you're not obligated to take a bid that's not itemized. I dont care if it is or isn't because what I concentrate on is the description of the scope of work and the total cost between the bids.

For example right now I'm redoing my landscaping. I had numerous bids ALL were told the exact same scope with plans already drawn and the bids were all over the place. The competing bids came down to description of the scope of work and price. The guy that got it offered more work. He threw in 11 palm and one tree trimming that's a few thousand alone. I simply told him that I had a few bids that were lower. I really didn't but I could tell he wanted the job badly. . I needed him to rebid if he wants the job, he dropped 2k he got the job. So not only did I save two more thousand but I got a lot more work. It's all how you play the game.

As long as you dont fixate on the why are you charging me so much when this guy charges less for the same portion on a itemized bid people will be better off working off total price and scope. Then work that angle to get rebids.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I have the engineering equivalents (professional engineering licence) and I can do work on my own stuff, I am not licenced to work for other people. Usually a vendor or an insurance company or the govt compells me to hire someone who is licenced and I cant always leverage my engineering licence to just do it myself. Some stuff at homedepot is ok but most stuff I go where the contractors go or order online.

Some youtube videos are REALLY good.

Never the less none of that is a reason for contractors to cop an attitude or give quotes they know are out of line ... because "how dare this guy not grovel and pander to me, im a licenced electrician"
Around here in PA the homeowner can do interior wiring but can't upgrade the service. Cool you can do the basic stuff but you still need the pros for the stuff you can't and aren't allowed to do.

I don't know contractors that cop attitudes but i do know it's common practice to give a higher quote to customers that are potential pita's. Trouble customers are higher risk so higher price given. They price the job so high they don't care if they get it and if they do it's a major score. I'll take a pita customer that will make my pockets fat at the end of the job any day

Old 06-12-2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
And you're not obligated to take a bid that's not itemized. I dont care if it is or isn't because what I concentrate on is the description of the scope of work and the total cost between the bids.

For example right now I'm redoing my landscaping. I had numerous bids ALL were told the exact same scope with plans already drawn and the bids were all over the place. The competing bids came down to description of the scope of work and price. The guy that got it offered more work. He threw in 11 palm and one tree trimming that's a few thousand alone. I simply told him that I had a few bids that were lower. I really didn't but I could tell he wanted the job badly. . I needed him to rebid if he wants the job, he dropped 2k he got the job. So not only did I save two more thousand but I got a lot more work. It's all how you play the game.

As long as you dont fixate on the why are you charging me so much when this guy charges less for the same portion on a itemized bid people will be better off working off total price and scope. Then work that angle to get rebids.
No other business itemizes quotes/bills to a T so why should I? If you don't trust me call another contractor simple. Itemizing things just creates problems because they will look at your costs then go online and look at home depot or lowes and start B%^&tching "well i looked at HD and it was only $50 why are you charging me $75?

Does the restaurant itemize the cost of the steak they charged you $20 for ? Do they tell you that steak cost them $5? no because they aren't obligated to and it's none of your business.

All that matters to a customer is the price one number that's it.

Also are they going to pay me to itemize that bill or quote? Lets say i had a large job with tons of materials that will take over an hour to do? Let me guess i should eat that time out of the kindness of my heart?

I give a price if you like it cool if not cool we move on. No negotiations either because if i negotiate a price that just implies i overcharged them to begin with or it looks like i pulled a number out of my butt. My prices are calculated with a formula like most contractors use based on many things.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Around here in PA the homeowner can do interior wiring but can't upgrade the service. Cool you can do the basic stuff but you still need the pros for the stuff you can't and aren't allowed to do.

I don't know contractors that cop attitudes but i do know it's common practice to give a higher quote to customers that are potential pita's. Trouble customers are higher risk so higher price given. They price the job so high they don't care if they get it and if they do it's a major score. I'll take a pita customer that will make my pockets fat at the end of the job any day
If its putting in a new service line the power company is involved and I would get the credentials needed if I could not get quotes to my liking. I would also write up reviews (yelp angies list etc) on said contractors if they came in high so that others know to avoid.

In my state there is nothing that the homeowner is not allowed to do, some things you have to pull a permit for but odds are I will be able to use my engineering stamp to do 99% of everything and where I cant the utility company takes over not a condescending contractor. Contractors that behave as you do are typically areas flush with govt davis bacon work, let me guess you are a staunch anti tax anti govt guy with his don't tread on me flag as you laidel from the govt trough lol. If there were not govt work going on you would not be talking like that, from my experience the only time contractors can afford to act smug is when the govt gravy train comes to town (or you are retired and just doing it on the side for beer money and collecting a phony SSI money). Or in some cases a massive oil field or mine etc can sub in for govt work but that is less common and they control costs more than the govt does.

I encourage my state senators to choke people like you out, get the state to buy up the equipment and build out housing (even if its modular and shipped in) and then bid out work nation wide. Contractors that get too fat are a liability and need to get a little hungry otherwise costs get out of hand and attitudes start to suck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House