Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2017, 08:49 AM

224 posts, read 247,269 times

Advertisements

I called a few places and one place said they will need to do three test if the first comes out negative. Is this normal? The places I've called just mentioned taking a sample but they charge more than this place so I'm wondering if that is why they don't mention how many samples they need to test. This place said they will take three sample when they come regardless. The total charge is $200 for three samples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 09:13 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbondone View Post
I called a few places and one place said they will need to do three test if the first comes out negative. Is this normal? The places I've called just mentioned taking a sample but they charge more than this place so I'm wondering if that is why they don't mention how many samples they need to test. This place said they will take three sample when they come regardless. The total charge is $200 for three samples.

normal in any commercial testing I have done to take 3 samples...most of the cost is going to be in the trip charge and labor to visit the site, you can save some money by not requesting that the testing be expedited

Old 06-06-2017, 10:23 AM

So I should bring up not wanting it expedited even though it's not mentioned as an option? They just said it's for testing I didn't get the time frame I will find out

Old 06-06-2017, 12:02 PM

1,330 posts, read 699,209 times
A few questions:

Why are you testing? Are you planning on doing a renovation? If so, what is the scope of the renovation?

Asbestos isn't that big of an issue - The media has overplayed the risks. It's only potentially dangerous if you disturb it and you can always properly wet it down and remove it yourself with little risk.

By testing, you'd then have to disclose it on any future sale, which will potentially be an issue.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:42 PM

It's on the air duct. I have central air. some spots have tiny gaps and maybe it's being blown throw the vents. and some pieces are ripped off certain spots so I think those areas may be an issue. I was thinking of soaking a small amount and having it sent for testing but I'm nervous about that.

Last edited by jasonbondone; 06-06-2017 at 01:11 PM..

Old 06-06-2017, 03:46 PM

1,330 posts, read 699,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbondone View Post
It's on the air duct. I have central air. some spots have tiny gaps and maybe it's being blown throw the vents. and some pieces are ripped off certain spots so I think those areas may be an issue. I was thinking of soaking a small amount and having it sent for testing but I'm nervous about that.
When was the house built?

Old 06-06-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
when was the house built?

Old 06-11-2017, 08:19 AM

Someone came to check said it was asbestos. He said he would remove it for a total of 1850 including the testing and air quality check afterwards. But there are two air ducts he said he cannot remove he said it's best to have an hvac worker replace them which he said would be cheaper than him encapsulating it. It's also better because it would be completely removed. So I will be getting this done soon because I am getting the basement done next year and I want to feel safe in the meantime. I also want to clean my air duct and did not want to do it with asbestos air ducts I want to avoid getting it in the air. One thing I noticed is he was touching the asbestos and at one point I saw dust come up man he is brave but then again he does this for a living. I said I thought it was bad to touch he said no unless you're doing it everyday breathing it in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House