Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 05:05 AM

42 posts, read 518,456 times

Advertisements

There was big shrub next to my house. I recently had it removed, the soil filled back in, and seeded with grass. One rainy morning, I checked to see how the grass was doing and noticed some, minor pooling. I would say about a foot or foot and a half from the house. It was very minor. Did removing the bush cause this? Did the bush actually prevent this; perhaps the gradient slopped in front of the bush? At any rate, how should I resolve this issue? I was thinking about simply sloping the soil, improving the gradient. Or, should I simply put the bush back? Is there any practical benefits to having a bush in front of your house? Or, are they simply cosmetic. I got rid of the old one because it was huge and needed constant trimming. Otherwise, it would block out my entire window. If I did replant the bush, I would pick a smaller more manageable one. Any suggestions and thoughts would be great. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 05:11 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,709,844 times
After backfilling the hole, the soil will tend to settle over time, causing a depression in the ground. That's probably what you're looking at. You can add more soil, though you might need to do it a few times. Planting a smaller bush would be ok too, it's a matter for preference. When planting a shrub, make sure the top of the root ball sits slightly above the soil around it - plant it low, it will never grow, plant it high, it will never die. That's an oversimplification but it's good advice.

Old 06-07-2017, 05:17 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,294,354 times
Now that you've got the shrubbery out of the area near your house, it's a good time to check code in your area. In some towns 3 feet from the house is code now, and anything nearer than that is out of code. Seems a long way, but it's got to do with drainage back to the house and of course root damage. I've known people who've had to take out shrubbery when they were selling their house.

Old 06-07-2017, 05:22 AM

Thank you for the quick reply. The hole was filled in three days ago. I didn't think it would settle that quickly. I've heard of soil settling around a house over the course of years and creating a moat. I'll try packing the more soil in and hope it resolves the issue. Hindsight being 20/20, I think I made a huge mistake removing the bush. What a waste of time and money. On top of it, there is all the aggravation!

Old 06-07-2017, 05:26 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,199,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by setsuna_f_seiei View Post
There was big shrub next to my house. I recently had it removed, the soil filled back in, and seeded with grass. One rainy morning, I checked to see how the grass was doing and noticed some, minor pooling. I would say about a foot or foot and a half from the house. It was very minor. Did removing the bush cause this? Did the bush actually prevent this; perhaps the gradient slopped in front of the bush? At any rate, how should I resolve this issue? I was thinking about simply sloping the soil, improving the gradient. Or, should I simply put the bush back? Is there any practical benefits to having a bush in front of your house? Or, are they simply cosmetic. I got rid of the old one because it was huge and needed constant trimming. Otherwise, it would block out my entire window. If I did replant the bush, I would pick a smaller more manageable one. Any suggestions and thoughts would be great. Thanks in advance!
Yes, the roots of the bush likely soaked up the water. Plus, the dirt you back filled has likely settled now. Re-fill the hole, use some clay soil too. Slope it away from your house. I have even used cheap clay cat litter (left in the bag) to block water from my patio.

Old 06-07-2017, 05:39 AM

>>Yes, the roots of the bush likely soaked up the water.

@JanND Wow! I really messed up! Is having bushes near your foundation water mitigation??? As you can tell, I am a 1st time home owner. I don't want water to leak into the basement or damage the foundation.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:46 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
...it's a good time to check code in your area. In some towns 3 feet from the house is code now, and anything nearer than that is out of code.

Code? For foundation landscaping? Blasphemy!

Old 06-07-2017, 07:24 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,428,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Now that you've got the shrubbery out of the area near your house, it's a good time to check code in your area. In some towns 3 feet from the house is code now, and anything nearer than that is out of code. Seems a long way, but it's got to do with drainage back to the house and of course root damage. I've known people who've had to take out shrubbery when they were selling their house.
I hear the knights who say Ni! are very aggressive in the enforcement of these shrubbery codes.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:45 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,111,522 times
Thanks for a good topic. We're moving into a new house and one of the first things we'll do is remove shrubs in front of the windows. I'll be sure to add extra dirt as it settles and keep an eye out for pooling.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:46 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,111,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Code? For foundation landscaping? Blasphemy!
Out where we are, it's considered a fire hazard, among other things. And probably also a pest hazard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House