Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 12:04 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,949,485 times

Advertisements

A pergola gives dappled shade, which is lovely on a hot summer day, and it provides support for vines like honeysuckle. If it's raining, go sit in a covered gazebo instead.

Seems simple enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 12:13 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,747,628 times
I don't know, my parents got one with their house but in Arizona we don't have vines. It is only used for water pong at parties.

Old 06-11-2017, 01:26 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,792,627 times
we had one and ripped it out! Was ugly colors

Old 06-11-2017, 07:03 PM

6,580 posts, read 4,714,645 times
We had something similar in our yard when I was a child. We had grape vines that grow over it, the grapes would hang through the lattice top. We called it an arbor, not a pergola.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:22 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,676,906 times
We had one on the back of our old house over the patio and YES it provided plenty of shade. We had a lattice design over the top of ours, so maybe that'd why, but it did it's job and looked great. We had the sun from 11am till the sun went down over our back yard and our pergola worked great for shade!

Old 06-11-2017, 10:39 PM

8,101 posts, read 6,848,700 times
I never quite understood pergolas until I was at someone's house who had one covered in wisteria. It was so beautiful. I couldn't stay away. I just wanted to be under there the whole time... lol. Beautiful, peaceful...
very nice feature to have.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:10 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,315,731 times
We have built two pergolas in two houses. Both were built to accommodate a hot tub beneath them. I think they both have had plenty of charm. And if the next owner didn't want a hot tub, they still define a space that would be nice for some outdoor furniture.

In both homes, the pergola section of the patio is off to one side. The patio area with furniture is partially covered.

We installed some very nice, industrial-look rods between the posts and then bought outdoor curtains. This is so we can pull the curtains shut if we want privacy in the hot tub. I love sitting in there with my hubby and a glass of wine, with the curtains drawn around the sides and the moon shining and stars twinkling through the slats above. It's fantastic.

Plus it looks nice, with the curtains pulled back and hooked to the massive cedar posts. And finally, it's fun to hang lights on it!

First picture is our current pergola/hot tub and second picture is our former pergola/hot tub.
Attached Thumbnails
What's the point of a pergola?-hot-tub-resized-larger.jpg   What's the point of a pergola?-hot-tub-side.jpg  

Old 06-12-2017, 07:19 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,086,578 times
They're for people who want to get a stripey sun tan!

Old 06-12-2017, 07:21 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,086,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
We have built two pergolas in two houses. Both were built to accommodate a hot tub beneath them. I think they both have had plenty of charm. And if the next owner didn't want a hot tub, they still define a space that would be nice for some outdoor furniture.

In both homes, the pergola section of the patio is off to one side. The patio area with furniture is partially covered.

We installed some very nice, industrial-look rods between the posts and then bought outdoor curtains. This is so we can pull the curtains shut if we want privacy in the hot tub. I love sitting in there with my hubby and a glass of wine, with the curtains drawn around the sides and the moon shining and stars twinkling through the slats above. It's fantastic.

Plus it looks nice, with the curtains pulled back and hooked to the massive cedar posts. And finally, it's fun to hang lights on it!

First picture is our current pergola/hot tub and second picture is our former pergola/hot tub.
Beautiful! Jokes about stripey suntans aside, I'm a fan of pergolas. I think they add a lot of elegance, and they're perfect if you love to string outdoor lights.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:33 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,315,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Beautiful! Jokes about stripey suntans aside, I'm a fan of pergolas. I think they add a lot of elegance, and they're perfect if you love to string outdoor lights.
Thank you! I like them in the right setting. I also like that you can weave outdoor fabric between the upper slats if you don't want to grow vines over it, and still get shade. The shade isn't an issue for us because we use the hot tub only at night but if we were putting a pergola over a seating area I think I'd run that fabric between the slats for shade, or angle the slats more for shade. I like that look.

I also like the look of wisteria or grape vines growing over it, but I personally wouldn't want that next to the house - it would only work for me set off in the yard a bit. But I am funny about vines growing close to a house.

I also had a snake fall on my shoulder out of a muscadine arbor one time so that's something to consider...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House