Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 09:06 AM

50,351 posts, read 63,939,201 times

Advertisements

They only provide partial shade. They don't keep you dry. I suppose it would be ok if there were enough vines growing on it.

Do you have one? Do you like it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 09:14 AM

17,473 posts, read 66,027,504 times
Originally?
To create a shaded path through a garden (because of vines trained to grow on them).

Today?
Just some gaudy "architectural element" that has no real value or purpose.

Not a fan!

Old 06-10-2017, 09:16 AM

61,672 posts, read 87,060,489 times
I suppose it's aesthetics. Gives partial shade, and your outside sitting area looks more finished. You plant some flowering vines and it looks pretty. Attracts butterflies.... and bees
I prefer gazebo, thought....

Old 06-10-2017, 10:11 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,456,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
They only provide partial shade. They don't keep you dry. I suppose it would be ok if there were enough vines growing on it.

Do you have one? Do you like it?
Not only that, they'll eventually require repair and/or painting. Two of the three houses we've bought came with pergolas in some form. I think they're stupid, and you described the exact reasons; they're like a roadway about the width of a decent bike path. A little more work and they'd be worth something, but as they are, extra maintenance for zero gain. If this house had come with one I would have dismantled it two years ago.

Old 06-10-2017, 10:34 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,489,514 times
I like pergolas for aesthetic reasons, but more as a way to define an entrance/passage or seating area. But, if I'm going to build an outdoor structure in the middle of a field or yard, I'd rather build a gazebo.

Old 06-10-2017, 10:35 AM

24,508 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Done right they will last as long as the house. Ours define space.

Last house had three: covered with limited UV protection for lounge chairs off the "living room w/fire place" under the roof, one out in the garden to anchor the view of 1/2 acre flat garden, covered with sunbrella fabric including roll up shades on the sides (30x30), one to cover a swim spa in a hail prone area and heavy UP protection on top.

Downsized: about 15x30 massive cedar, defines living space on 2k sqf patio (house is 2.5k sqf), clear cover holds a lot of weather off the bedroom windows, fairly good patio have extended life spans, we can use the area in 100F and in 10F. Plan B is turning bedroom windows into a huge sliding door as we did in Alabama but it means structural changes. Next year:>)

Old 06-10-2017, 10:58 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,282,765 times
The point? They're charming.

A friend of mine had one where he had grown grape vines up and around it. It was lovely. Nice at night for a dinner party too as you can hang lights from it.

Old 06-10-2017, 11:29 AM

50,351 posts, read 63,939,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
The point? They're charming.

A friend of mine had one where he had grown grape vines up and around it. It was lovely. Nice at night for a dinner party too as you can hang lights from it.
Ok, but I can hang lights from a patio roof too, and I won't get wet when it rains.

Old 06-10-2017, 12:12 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,167,069 times

If you don't like a pergola, don't build one.

The point of having one is that the person who builds it likes it. There needs to be no other explanation.

Old 06-10-2017, 12:34 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,822,371 times
My pergola is built with the horizontal slats on the top angled to block the mid- to late-afternoon sun (and it has a roll-down sun shade on the west side). It also has decorative lights that hang from it, as there is nowhere else to hang them otherwise, unless I wanted to run them from the side of the house to the fence and they'd hang too low. The pergola is nice because it defines the space on the deck, adds shade in the summer

In the hot late July days, I also have a shade cloth that fastens over the top of the pergola and blocks even more sun (which also shades that part of the house). At my previous house, which had a lot of high-altitude southern sun exposure, the narrow pergolas ran across the south side of the bottom floor of the house and I used heavier shade cloth to keep the sun off the southern windows. Made it cooler inside while still leaving it fairly bright inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House