Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 06:37 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,636,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Reading the original post, all I can say is:

#FirstWorldProblems
Since we live in a first world country what other problems would she be expected to have? Living with noisy, inconsiderate neighbors is a nightmare no matter who you are and where you live. Why should she be penalized because she doesn't live in a cardboard shack with no running water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 06:42 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,636,617 times
OP, can you get a Spanish speaking acquaintance to write the problem out for you and present it to the neighbors with a welcome plate of cookies or something to try to keep the peace. I don't believe in stereotyping anyone good or bad, and there is no such thing as "Mexican women are generally respectful" as some poster suggested. It does not matter what type of people they are - inconsiderate is inconsiderate whether in Spanish, Engiish or Arabic.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:05 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,669,527 times
About pool noise - I have lived by a pool, in an apartment building (with not many families). There was one instance of a young father who would often take his two young kids into the pool. I don't mind hearing splashing and playing, people laughing, however, the daughter who was roughly 4-5 years old, would repeatedly scream "Daddy! Daddy! Daddy! Daddy! Daddy!"... (you get the idea). It wasn't occasionally, but the entire time. ��
I would close my windows, but would still hear for an hour or two. I know it sounds harmless...yet, I guess it is the pitch and the repetition that can be annoying (as would hearing base sounds ..boom, boom, boom or certain noises, repeatedly).

I finally asked the manager to speak to the parent about the noise when out there. All I meant was the screaming, as I must have expressed, but something may have been misinterpreted. The manager and tenant both having been Hispanic, I didn't know what was said, but after that, I always got dirty looks from the guy if I saw him. I can't recall if they may have stopped using the pool, maybe misunderstanding that it was only the screaming that was bothersome.

In another instance, a single mother would watch her three kids in the pool, who were under the age of 13 it seems. These kids would play and splash, say stuff to each other...but it didn't bother me. I think they even asked if "they were too noisy" and I said "Oh, no...you guys are so polite". Her kids always seemed respectful (also a Hispanic family). As I say, it comes down to personalities and how one is raised. (I don't think it has to become complicated, but as usual, is about emotions).

Though I grew up in a different time, my parents would not allow rambunctiousness or annoying others (and they were not even strict). We were really well-behaved and I maintained that into adulthood, being aware and considerate of those around me anywhere and have never had a noise complaint. I wouldn't want to disturb others. And that's the difference.

Last edited by In2itive_1; 06-13-2017 at 12:12 AM.. Reason: Adjustment.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:22 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,285,212 times
This is why I always say to read the ordinances, because often times police and city officials will say there is nothing they can do, which is not true.

Take the ordinances with you, and go to the police station and make an appointment to speak to the Chief of police if they are not available. Ask to speak to he or she in private. Described what you have posted about here, and that you simply need someone to speak to them to keep the noise down. Explain you don't speak their language.

Also, look at actually who owns the property and make sure it is directed at the property owner(s), and not someone who lives there or is renting. This makes a difference.

What you describe sounds like torture. I don't know what is wrong with some people where they can blast music and party all day. It sounds very boring and exhausting to do that, but I guess some people don't have the intelligence to do something more productive with their free time.

Let the police take care of this. Don't you go over there to complain about it. It doesn't matter if you speak their language or not, just let the officials handle it.

Just tell the police chief, you want them to pay a visit and explain to them they need to turn down the volume and limit the amount of time they create noise like this.

If the above doesn't give you relief, then contact a real estate attorney and find out what your options are.

For anyone who thinks you need to somehow be made friends with these people, that doesn't work, it just gives them more implied permission to make the noise because they think you aren't going to complain or care because you are such a nice guy. Just keep your distance from them.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post

I thought that all communities had "Nuisance Noise" restrictions involving...
They do, but you have to read the ordinances to see what is really written there. I've seen them say that noise at any time day or night which is a nuisance should be reported. Look, just because not everyone in the neighborhood isn't complaining doesn't mean you aren't suffering. Your home and it's location is different from others. Some people walk around in the house with the TV blasting sports all the time, and they can't hear anything outside, so that person isn't going to join the list of people to complain about things.

Always have a sit down meeting with the chief of police and discuss the problem. If you just phone it in, to their non-emergency phone number you might get someone who tells you they can't do anything, or takes the information and then doesn't do anything with it. But they are not the boss of the police station, the police chief is.

The key to success in dog training is consistency. So you have to call the police each time they violate the noise ordinances, so they learn there is a cause and effect. Eventually the police or city can fine them for the violation and possibly require a court appearance. But if the police show up each time, it will have a positive effect.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
Until you have actually communicated the problem to them you don't really have a leg to stand on. If you ask them to keep it down and they don't then you have something to complain about. But until then they have no idea they are bothering anyone.
People don't want to be approached and with good reason. By the time someone comes over to talk about something which is bothering them, they are very upset and ready to fight. You don't want that. I don't do anything to bother anyone where I live, but if I did, I would prefer the police or city official tell me about it than a neighbor. I don't care to have a confrontation with a neighbor who is upset. Having the police visit, knock on your door and explain you need to change your behavior is all I would want. I don't care to know who it is bothering or how upset they are, I would change it, but I would prefer it come from an official because that's what we pay taxes for. It isn't your job to go to someone else's home and tell them how to live their lives, that's what your local government is for.

There is a reason the law enforcement community prefer to do these things, because a problem like this can escalate quickly and become violent. You knock on someone's door and they can be as high as a kite and flip out on you. You need to talk with the chief of the police about this, and not just anyone who answers the phone at the station.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:44 AM

61,638 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Where I grow up, people don't shout across the room, or playground etc. to the kids, to each others. And don't let others hear their conversation.
In my observation, generally, people here don't walk to someone to talk to them, they shout across the room. Kids scream to get parents attention, parents scream back.
People generally are loud here. In restaurants I used to hear a hum. Here I hear a cacophony of loud voices. People shout when they talk on a phone. Music is loud in supermarkets and gas stations.
No, I am not making it up, and yes I understand that most of them just don't know better. It's a cultural thing...
Why Americans Abroad Are So Loud and Obnoxious | HuffPost UK
Yup, I think different cultures do have different set volumes.

Last edited by elnina; 06-13-2017 at 01:06 AM..

Old 06-13-2017, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
Since we live in a first world country what other problems would she be expected to have? Living with noisy, inconsiderate neighbors is a nightmare no matter who you are and where you live. Why should she be penalized because she doesn't live in a cardboard shack with no running water.
Exactly! Reminds me of people who say something like, "Could be worse, you could have cancer...". With that attitude nothing is life is going to be improved for anyone. "Don't worry about going to college, at least you don't have cancer...becomes homeless...".

Old 06-13-2017, 06:31 AM

6,416 posts, read 1,426,740 times
You said they don't speak English? Where are they from? Easy possible solution for you, Call the ICE Tip line if you think they are illegal and problem solved. 1-866-347-2423.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:22 AM

3,203 posts, read 2,481,894 times
I am glad we live in a rural area. Yes, we have wood chipping, bonfire, lawn mowing neighbors but not every weekend. No culture clash as we are all lily white middle class or higher. Lots of trees to deaden sound if there are parties.

However, when I was living in town while attending college, yeah, the noise would escalate, especially after finals in a college town. After I graduated, I moved outside the city limits. That was 45 years ago and my life is pretty much noise free.

I hope you can soon find your refuge. I like the idea of first giving your noisy neighbors a translated message. If that doesn't work, then call the police or selectmen to let them know the law. Every weekend for 3 days would drive me nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House