U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-10-2008, 01:05 PM

8 posts, read 41,321 times
Default Foundation Repair should I be nervous?

I am considering purchasing a home that has had foundation repair. I believe the home has a transferable lifetime warranty, but I am still weary. What type of things should I look for? I did notice one existing crack in the ceiling drywall. Does this indicate that the repair was not sufficient? Is there a way to get the foundation inspected to determine if further repairs are needed? How do I determine how reputable the company that did the foundation repair is? Finally does it hurt my resale?

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 01:33 PM

6,647 posts, read 20,724,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodiff View Post
I am considering purchasing a home that has had foundation repair. I believe the home has a transferable lifetime warranty, but I am still weary. What type of things should I look for? I did notice one existing crack in the ceiling drywall. Does this indicate that the repair was not sufficient? Is there a way to get the foundation inspected to determine if further repairs are needed? How do I determine how reputable the company that did the foundation repair is? Finally does it hurt my resale?

Thanks!!!
A transferable warranty doesn't mean anything if the company is no longer in business. As far as an inspection is concerned- hire a P.E. (with structural engineering background), Don't leave this to a private inspector.
The crack in the d/wall could be nothing- then again, it could be a major sign (it depends on if it is a result of, or did it appear after the repair).
If you can find a local P.E.- they may know of the company that did the repair- that will be a good tell-tale.

As far as a resale is concerned- when the repair is noted on the disclosure, a potential buyer will go through the samething that you're about to go through- if they even bother.
If you really like the house- is it worth the hassle? If not, move on and thank your lucky stars.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:46 PM

8,310 posts, read 21,032,096 times
Some people will tell you that a repaired foundation is just as good as a new one but I don't see how that can be true. Cracks anywhere are never a good sign. I think it definitely has an impact on your resale value and to be in good faith you will have to disclose it. If it makes you nervous it will make the next buyer nervous. If you are looking for a good independent inspector I would recommend HomeCert. "Chuck" (#7657) did the inspection on my home and was extremely thorough and pleasant to deal with. Also, if you contact Jericho Foundation Repairs they should be able to provide you with any information you may need and answer any questions you many have. I went to grade school with the family that runs Jericho, they are good people who operate in good faith and will not "fix what ain't broke." Hope this helps.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:03 PM

1,440 posts, read 3,430,477 times
Hire an inspector as he or she will be able to give you a better idea of what you might be getting into.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:14 PM

405 posts, read 1,144,468 times
Contact a structural engineer.

My house has a foundation crack. We're having a drought of epic proportions here in the SE, and per our structural engineer, you'd be hard pressed to find a house that *didn't* have some kind of cracking as a result. According to our engineer, the house is still rock solid--despite the crack. He actually told us that "repairing" the foundation would pretty much be for cosmetic purposes only, as he didn't think it was necessary to support the foundation of the home in our case.

As for cracks in the drywall, these certainly also occur due to normal settling--the kind you needn't worry about. I'm not sure you could necessarily make any judgment based on those without the help of a professional. If you like the house, just have it assessed first by a SE to make sure everything looks kosher. Particularly if the foundation was REPAIRED, I wouldn't necessarily cross it off my list just yet.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:25 PM

3,700 posts, read 11,095,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodiff View Post

Thanks!!!

Since you posted first in the Houston forum, I assume that is where you are looking. A lot of houses in Houston have repaired foundations (mine included), it is imporatant that it was done by a reputable company and that you get a structural engineer to inspect it as piers (the most common repair) can slip or dip and may need a little jacking up (uncommon but possible). Another concern was whether or not there was any plumbing damage (might have been the other way around) caused by the faulty foundation or the repair. As for cracks, they may have predated the repair. I have 3 over doorways and have watched them for alteration like a hawk but they have not changed since the repair. Also make sure that you get the paperwork about the repair from the previous owner including the plot showing where each of the piers (or repairs) have been placed.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:43 PM

3,507 posts, read 5,828,087 times
I am an inspector, performed over 7000 of them, and consider myself pretty well versed in foundations. With that said, take the advice of hiring a structural engineer. We may know quite a bit about them, but our knowledge pales in comparison. They are the defacto experts. A structural engineer with a P.E. would be even better.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:26 PM

8 posts, read 41,321 times
Many thanks for all the advie. I have obtained the plot showing the location of the piers. I plan on hiring a structural engineer if my offer is accepted. THANKS for all the great advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House