U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2015, 12:15 PM

5,586 posts, read 11,831,318 times

Advertisements

You. Pretty simple.
For those considering buying a home with partial piers, this is a normal thing to happen especially in clay soils. One part may be stabilized while the rest of the house moves around with the expansive soils. Another issue is foundation companies doing partial piers and not the entire foundation. So the back of the house had piers put in by ABC Foundation. The front gets whacko so we hire Goofy Foundation to do the front of the house. A few years go by and now we have a problem, any problem. Because we had Goofy do the front, we voided the warranty by ABC. And because ABC did the back, the warranty by Goofy is limited and probably of no value. I see this all the time here and the owner is left holding the bag. If the house has a 100% pier stabilization, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it providing there is a transferable warranty. A partial foundation job just means the fix is temporary, at best.
To the OP, you're in a lousy position. You're going to have to fix any issues. The correct fix is a complete foundation job and have the company also either warrant the current piers or install new ones at the same location so you end up with one company, one warranty. The other option is to fix what is necessary and sell the house, hopefully getting your money out of it. Another option is to sell the house as is but expect to take a beating on it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 12:32 PM

961 posts, read 920,959 times
My wife and I just had 36 piers installed approximate 37 feet down into mostly clay soil. We secured the foundation on our 63 year old hillside house with 30 push-piers and 6 helical tie-backs, had our house lifted ~1.25 inches, and the voids filled with polyurethane. The work was done by a foundation contractor that's been in business for 30 years and gives a 25 year transferable warranty. Half of the houses in my neighborhood have already had foundation work done over the last 20 years and about 25% of the homes need to get it done soon.

My wife and I knew this was going to be an issue before we purchased the house in 2012, but we didn't know the house would sink so much over the last year. I'm told it's due to the drought we're experience in California; the soil is compacting because the soil/clay is drying out.

Old 10-23-2015, 06:53 AM

83 posts, read 207,836 times
kwong, could you pm me the cost for your repairs? I am looking at having to have something similar done to my home and would like to know how broke I am going to be after all of this.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:00 AM

13,139 posts, read 7,387,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Not unless he is selling well under market value- at least $10,000 less because if it goes south, that is what it will cost you to fix it.
Wrong. Furture foundation repair shouldn't cost the new buyers anything. And previous foundation repair on a home is a good thing, not a bad thing. I don't understand why homebuyers are so freaked out over homes having previous foundation repairs. Would you run away from a home that had a new roof previously installed or new electrical? Of course not. You'd be happy it was done already. It's the same thing, only better, because every reputable foundation company offers a lifetime transferable warranty so that if the repair every needs fixing in the future, the new buyer can get it fixed at no charge.

Here in Houston, homes are notorious for having foundation problems, so nearly 100% of older homes have had it done or need it done. I had 11 piers done for $7K on my home I sold. The repair took only 3 days and I could still occupy the home while it was being completed. The fact that the repair was done on the 34 year old home actually increased its appeal to buyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or