Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 08:59 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,427 times

Advertisements

I See a few people posted about gas water heaters and dryers. I have the opportunity to put in a gas water heater, dryer, and stove (and fireplace!) in new construction. At first I jumped on it and thought I wanted it all...but....which is more economical (cheapter) and environmentally better--cleaner, efficient, etc?

Say you could choose between gas or electric, which would you choose? I assumed I wanted it for everything--truth is, hate cooking with electric and love a gas range....don't know about the smart choice for water heating and drying!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 05:16 AM

932 posts, read 1,273,599 times
electric will be cheaper to operate than gas- at least for the washer and dryer. And when you do laundry as much as I do...its definitely a consideration! lol

I also prefer a gas cooktop, but have electric here.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:16 AM

584 posts, read 2,423,393 times
I prefer gas heat as I think it produces hotter air than electric - especially heat pumps in cooler weather.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:45 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,342,526 times
One consideration is in an emergency. Usually gas is flowing when the electricity is not. So one can cook and heat water when an all electric home cannot unless they have an electrical back up system. Other than that its really personal choice. Same with the old fashion home phone that is wired. It typically works when the electricity is out. Can't say that for Hi-speed Digital Internet phone services and sometimes Cell phones.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:09 AM

321 posts, read 1,577,369 times
I love cooking with gas and really miss it. So much better than electric. As for the dryer I am not sure as I have never had a gas dryer. For sure, the water heater is more economical than electric. If there is the option for the new gas water heaters that heat the water as it goes through the system (ie no tank) that is definitely more cost efficient. My family now have those systems back in England. Environmental impact depends on the source of your electric, if it is a coal based system for generating electricity then gas is "greener" but if you are lucky enough to get power from wind or solar (doubtful) then the electric would be "greener".

Old 03-11-2008, 07:49 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,217 times
As far as where the electricity comes from, I am pretty sure that most, if not all of it comes from the Shearon Harris nuclear power plant.

I lived for a year in an apartment that was all electric and qualified for an energy efficiency discount. I now live in an apartment that has a gas water heater and heat. My experience has been that the gas/electric apartment has been much more energy efficient than the all electric apartment.

Electric water heaters seem to have to work a lot harder to heat your water and keep it warm. I have never run out of hot water with the gas heater.

Also, the electric heat pump seemed to really work hard to heat my third floor apartment (heat rises, ya know!). My gas furnace heats my first floor (cold sinks!) apartment quite easily and keeps it warmer, even set at a lower temperature.

All in all, I'd say that the gas water heater and furnace have been cheaper to run in my experience (ymmv). I also have first hand experience of the benefit of having hot water while the electricity is out for a few weeks, and that is definitely a wonderful thing! I only wish my stove was gas too! I don't think I'd do the dryer though...

Old 03-11-2008, 05:28 PM

551 posts, read 2,287,583 times
A third or fourth AMEN to having gas logs, gas stove, and gas hot water when the power is out due to hurricane or ice. I've been on both sides of that, and I prefer gas for that reason alone.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:16 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,548,295 times
Gas used to be hands down cheaper than electric - now with the rise in costs of fossil fuels, it may be a little more. It will depend on your area and what your utility rates are anyway.

The difference in our area (Cincinnati) would not be enough to sway me either way. That said, I grew up with gas, like its dependability in an emergency, and as there's no way I'm cooking with electric - just decided to go for gas for everything.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:31 PM

1,266 posts, read 5,612,289 times
We have an electricty/gas combo. I think gas is way more than electricity. The power went out for a couple of hours a month or two ago, so I found out what wouldn't work. We have a gas cook top, but the burners wouldn't light. Can that be done manually? The gas fireplace would turn on with the remote.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:33 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,070,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATHER72 View Post
We have an electricty/gas combo. I think gas is way more than electricity. The power went out for a couple of hours a month or two ago, so I found out what wouldn't work. We have a gas cook top, but the burners wouldn't light. Can that be done manually? The gas fireplace would turn on with the remote.
Yes they can, light match first then open burner.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House