Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 10:09 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,467,632 times

Advertisements

It wouldn't fly with me. We don't allow pets in our home, as one of our children is allergic to pet hair. Just having the dog in the house means now I need to go about vacuuming up all the hair, and potentially my child will still have a slight allergic reaction. Out in the real world, I don't make issue of this as there are going to be dogs everywhere...but in my home, I think I can reasonably expect that one request to be followed. I would not tolerate being told to "get over it" in my own home.

Secondly, as a former contractor who worked 10 years doing new homes, renovations, additions, small upgrades, etc, I've never seen another contractor on the job bring their dog to a job site...even in the truck. Perhaps its a regional thing. I've seen GC's chew out guys for wearing shorts on the job, let alone a dog. Even small jobs, where there might be a carpenter or plumber on site, I've never seen a dog anywhere.

When I used to work jobs, my biggest concern would be leaving the customer's home spotless. If that meant taking my boots off, or laying down drop-cloths, or whatever, than that's what I did. Bring a dog on the site? No way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 10:12 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,718,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
It wouldn't fly with me. We don't allow pets in our home, as one of our children is allergic to pet hair. Just having the dog in the house means now I need to go about vacuuming up all the hair, and potentially my child will still have a slight allergic reaction. Out in the real world, I don't make issue of this as there are going to be dogs everywhere...but in my home, I think I can reasonably expect that one request to be followed.

Secondly, as a former contractor who worked 10 years doing new homes, renovations, additions, small upgrades, etc, I've never seen another contractor on the job bring their dog to a job site...even in the truck. Perhaps its a regional thing. I've seen GC's chew out guys for wearing shorts on the job, let alone a dog. Even small jobs, where there might be a carpenter or plumber on site, I've never seen a dog anywhere.

When I used to work jobs, my biggest concern would be leaving the customer's home spotless. If that meant taking my boots off, or laying down drop-cloths, or whatever, than that's what I did. Bring a dog on the site? No way.
An interesting take with the regionality but I am assuming that you are from Mass based on your name. Is that the case?

I am also from Mass, Martha's vineyard (and still have a shared family home there) to be precise and this is where I see so many independent GCs and handymen who bring their dogs with them. I live along the NJ shore now and it is less common here.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:23 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,467,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
An interesting take with the regionality but I am assuming that you are from Mass based on your name. Is that the case?

I am also from Mass, Martha's vineyard (and still have a shared family home there) to be precise and this is where I see so many independent GCs and handymen who bring their dogs with them. I live along the NJ shore now and it is less common here.

I'm from the Boston area. A lot of the jobs I used to do were in that area, and probably larger scale jobs. But I would consider it unprofessional to take a dog along, and have personally never seen it.

I'm familiar with the Vineyard as I vacation there yearly, and I think the "small town" vibe there probably sets the stage for taking a dog with you as being a bit more acceptable. I couldn definitely see it more common in small towns, vs taking your dog along to a job as say, a fancy NYC condo that an owner wants you to add a few recessed lights in.

So to expand upon regionality, I would venture to guess it's a lot more common in small town America, vs the metropolitan areas. My experience was with the latter.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:14 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,026 times
Contractor is wrong

Old 06-26-2017, 11:30 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
It might not be professional but I'd pick my battles. If he's an independent worker and not affiliated with a company then bringing the dog may be having a better effect on the price and time to complete the job. If he had to leave every 4-6 hours to let the dog out, you're losing work time and he's liable to up his prices to make up the lost time and gas or the cost of hiring a dog walker/sitter. I'm assuming that he's an adult and assesses the situation before bringing the dog i.e. He's not going to bring it to a house with other dogs, new carpet, etc.
The worst justification for bringing a dog to a job site I have ever read !

..."had to leave every 4-6 hours to let the dog out"...

He may be self employed, but his employment is still his job.

No boss would put up with.........." I need to earn a higher wage or else I have to leave every 4-6 hours to take care of my helpless dog "

Making arrangements for pet care,child care, wife care, mother-in-law care is his responsibility whether self employed or an employee for a boss.

Where does it end...........home inspector allowing dog to tag behind him as he inspects houses?
....................................home appraiser having dog tag behind as he appraises houses?
...................................pest control man having his dog tag behind him ?

What makes contractors think their line of work allows exemptions for having a dog tag along ?

( and , no, I do not see other contractors bringing their jobs to job sites around here either )

Old 06-26-2017, 11:36 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,017,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
The worst justification for bringing a dog to a job site I have ever read !

..."had to leave every 4-6 hours to let the dog out"...

He may be self employed, but his employment is still his job.

No boss would put up with.........." I need to charge more or else I have to leave every 4-6 hours"

Making arrangements for pet care,child care, wife care, mother-in-law care is his responsibility whether self employed or an employee for a boss.

Where does it end...........home inspector allowing dog to tag behind him as he inspects houses?
....................................home appraiser having dog tag behind as he appraises houses?
...................................pest control man having his dog tag behind him ?

What makes contractors think their line of work allows exemptions for having a dog tag along ?

( and , no, I do not see other contractors bringing their jobs to job sites around here either )
Contractors often leave the job site to "go check on something" or "to go to lowes". Then they come back 2 hours later. He's not going to tell you that he's going to let the dog out. He's not going to say "I'm charging you more bc of X".
Why did you hire him? Did he have the lowest price?
If he's an independent contractor, he's allowed to make his own hours. You're allowed to not hire him if you don't agree with the hours he says he will work.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Contractors often leave the job site to "go check on something" or "to go to lowes". Then they come back 2 hours later. He's not going to tell you that he's going to let the dog out. He's not going to say "I'm charging you more bc of X".
Why did you hire him? Did he have the lowest price?
If he's an independent contractor, he's allowed to make his own hours. You're allowed to not hire him if you don't agree with the hours he says he will work.

(last sentence )......true! The hours he said he would work.

He never said anything about bringing his dog to my house, however

apples to oranges

Old 06-26-2017, 08:49 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,060,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I recently bought a house and hired a contractor to do a few things before we moved in.

When checking on the progress, I was shocked to see a water bowl on the living room floor and a bowl of dog food. When I got upset, the contractor put the blame on me for being "thin skinned" and said his medium sized dog goes with him to all his jobs and I am the first to complain.

The guy's workmanship is good, but I told him the dog should not come with.

On the last day, I checked back and dog was chained in my backyard.

Very unprofessional to bring your dog ( or kids) with to jobsite just because you don't want them left alone at home.

Is this common ?
He wears his ignorance like a badge of honor.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:36 PM

32,915 posts, read 36,310,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
I have NEVER had a contractor bring a dog. And they'll be shown the door if they do show up with one.

A couple of other no-nos: NO RADIO. No smokers. We've had guys show up and play their radio. Too loud and not what I'd call music.

I'm more direct and less tolerant of boundary violations than I used to be. Rules of the road will be agreed to up front.

No smokers. No radios. No dogs.
No radio? Hard ass.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
No radio? Hard ass.
Evidently you missed his reasoning............"too loud and not what I'd call music "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House