Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 08:35 PM

621 posts, read 1,118,792 times

Advertisements

Complete independent control of every room? You'd need a chiller, a boiler, pumps and piping that serve fan coils in each room. 30-40k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 10:13 PM

9,368 posts, read 6,941,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Your best bet for now would be to look into those wall mounted units that have an exterior condenser. My understanding is that you can get multiple units for the inside, each with their own remotes/controls that go with one condenser. The main benefit to this is that you would not need to change the indoor ducts at all and would just need to vent the wall units to the outside. I think the price for this option tends to be about $1000 per unit, so if you want 3 zones on one condenser it would probably be $3000+installation costs and any electrical upgrades you might need.

Unlike window ACs, they both heat and cool. If you want to keep the whole house at 80 at night, then you could use these units to get your room down to 70 and the others could get their room down to 75. They are A LOT quieter than window ACs as well since you don't have the compressor right in there. I have used them before when I lived abroad and while they are not great on their own for cooling in super hot areas (they really do only cool down about 15 degrees from the outside temperature), as an added supplement, they should be fine.
Thank you very helpful post! These wall units do you know of a specific brand or company that makes a quality product like this? I like the idea of maybe 3 rooms having independent control and the rest of the house could be on central. I could set 3 of the rooms to their customs temps and heat/cool rest of the home to how I see fit. Now perfect but a better solution.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
Assuming by your user name that you're in southern Florida, keeping the whole house at 80 is going to present lots of problems with moisture and humidity. You need to run the A/C to dry the air, if nothing else. If you like 70, then your best and cheapest option is to add heat to the areas where other will be cold. This is not going to be good for your electric bill! Sweaters, blankets and gloves might be something to consider.
We are from FL but live in SLC Utah now so we get much greater temp swings throughout the season.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btuhack View Post
Complete independent control of every room? You'd need a chiller, a boiler, pumps and piping that serve fan coils in each room. 30-40k.
Thanks, yeah that is a lot of coin.

Old 06-24-2017, 07:05 AM

9,143 posts, read 14,727,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Thank you very helpful post! These wall units do you know of a specific brand or company that makes a quality product like this? I like the idea of maybe 3 rooms having independent control and the rest of the house could be on central. I could set 3 of the rooms to their customs temps and heat/cool rest of the home to how I see fit. Now perfect but a better solution.
The mini splits mentioned are made by a large number of companies. Mitsubishi, LG and Fujitsu are some big ones. You can do individual units connected to their own condenser or do one large one that serves multiple. They are popular in many countries outside the US and people are using them more and more here, but they're way more than a grand each.

Old 06-24-2017, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
The mini splits mentioned are made by a large number of companies. Mitsubishi, LG and Fujitsu are some big ones. You can do individual units connected to their own condenser or do one large one that serves multiple. They are popular in many countries outside the US and people are using them more and more here, but they're way more than a grand each.
Thanks this post and 1-2 others were increicbly helpful!

Based upon this link and the embedded video I think this offers the perfect solution. The only downside is with the wall mounted units may be a eye sore. The efficiency gained and custom flexibility per rooms or zone will be worth it.

Besides the look I'm not sure what other downsides this solution would have. Any thoughts on that?

I'll have to find an hvac forum to gain more knowledge on this subject.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4j1yoD...ZeQsMFYKzhKGMQ

5 Advantages of Ductless Cooling and Heating Systems

Example of a 5 zone system.. I would assume the product plus install is pushing 8-10k.

https://www.ecomfort.com/Mitsubishi-...FUpNfgodDm4C-A

Last edited by SWFL_Native; 06-24-2017 at 07:34 AM..

Old 06-24-2017, 08:21 AM

56 posts, read 82,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Thanks this post and 1-2 others were increicbly helpful!

Based upon this link and the embedded video I think this offers the perfect solution. The only downside is with the wall mounted units may be a eye sore. The efficiency gained and custom flexibility per rooms or zone will be worth it.

Besides the look I'm not sure what other downsides this solution would have. Any thoughts on that?

I'll have to find an hvac forum to gain more knowledge on this subject.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4j1yoD...ZeQsMFYKzhKGMQ

5 Advantages of Ductless Cooling and Heating Systems

Example of a 5 zone system.. I would assume the product plus install is pushing 8-10k.

https://www.ecomfort.com/Mitsubishi-...FUpNfgodDm4C-A
Just had a nice system (fujitsu mini split heat pump) installed as well, 7 zone and it pushed close to 12k. It is an eye sore, no doubt about it, but it is a necessary evil when you need to get something done and you have no other options. So now I have my central heat but I now have AC units on the wall of every single room. Setting independent temperatures is amazing and not having to keep the entire house cool is saving money as well. As if something were to happen with my central heat, this system does heat as well (heat pump).

Make sure that when you get a few quotes, go for the person that is going to do a professional job. it goes a long way when stuff is hidden and placed inside color matching conduit so you see very little on the outside of your home.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roltec View Post
Just had a nice system (fujitsu mini split heat pump) installed as well, 7 zone and it pushed close to 12k. It is an eye sore, no doubt about it, but it is a necessary evil when you need to get something done and you have no other options. So now I have my central heat but I now have AC units on the wall of every single room. Setting independent temperatures is amazing and not having to keep the entire house cool is saving money as well. As if something were to happen with my central heat, this system does heat as well (heat pump).

Make sure that when you get a few quotes, go for the person that is going to do a professional job. it goes a long way when stuff is hidden and placed inside color matching conduit so you see very little on the outside of your home.
Thanks, cd posters are the best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House