Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 07:40 AM

518 posts, read 2,523,053 times

Advertisements

I am looking into buying a tanning bed that runs on 220v. My house is set up for 110v, but I do have an electrical dryer that has its own circuit that is 220v. My question is, could I just plug the tanning bed into the dryer outlet?
I would unplug the dryer, plug in the tanning bed when I wanted to use it, and then unplug it when i was done and plug the dryer back in.
thanks for any help you can give me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 11:35 AM

17,403 posts, read 65,544,355 times
Yes, that will work, but you may have to have a different "pig-tail" installed on the bed.
All new dryers and dryer receipticles since 1996 have a 4-prong setup. And I can bet that the bed is not going to have the same type of plug.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:17 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,932,040 times
sounds like a hassle to me...if you are going to invest in a tanning bed, why not just invest in a dedicated line for it. My opinion. It would take away the hassle of unplugging and plugging in 2 different units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetar10 View Post
I am looking into buying a tanning bed that runs on 220v. My house is set up for 110v, but I do have an electrical dryer that has its own circuit that is 220v. My question is, could I just plug the tanning bed into the dryer outlet?
I would unplug the dryer, plug in the tanning bed when I wanted to use it, and then unplug it when i was done and plug the dryer back in.
thanks for any help you can give me

Old 03-14-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynraleigh View Post
sounds like a hassle to me...if you are going to invest in a tanning bed, why not just invest in a dedicated line for it. My opinion. It would take away the hassle of unplugging and plugging in 2 different units.

i'm getting a really good deal on a used bed, so i'm not spending a whole lot on it, and if i can save the money of a dedicated line, i would like to because i do not find it to be that big of a hassle to unplug the dryer and plug the tanning bed in.
i did buy the bed last night, and the pig-tail does not fit, so i'll check lowe's for a new pigtail and hopefully i can find one that matches

Old 03-15-2008, 07:36 AM

12,082 posts, read 38,704,557 times
Don't forget, there is a REASON there are different plug configurations for the same voltages. A dryer outlet is on at least a 40 amp circuit. You better hope your tanning bed has internal overcurrent protection on because if something goes bad it is going to ruin it. I have never installed a home tanning bed that takes over a 20 amp circuit, feeding it with 40+ amps is not a good idea. Your cord isn't big enough for one thing. There are plenty of reasons NOT to do this, and even more reasons to hook it up the correct way.

Dedicated line with the correct outlet configuration and proper breaker.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Don't forget, there is a REASON there are different plug configurations for the same voltages. A dryer outlet is on at least a 40 amp circuit. You better hope your tanning bed has internal overcurrent protection on because if something goes bad it is going to ruin it. I have never installed a home tanning bed that takes over a 20 amp circuit, feeding it with 40+ amps is not a good idea. Your cord isn't big enough for one thing. There are plenty of reasons NOT to do this, and even more reasons to hook it up the correct way.

Dedicated line with the correct outlet configuration and proper breaker.
any idea what it would cost to get it hooked up correctly? and would i just tell the electrician that i need a 220 amp outlet for my tanning bed and he'd know what to do?

Old 03-16-2008, 02:15 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,704,557 times
Usually an Electrician will have an assortment of receptacles on the truck. I keep a wide assortment and every other Electrician I know does as well, so they will probably have one with them. Just tell whoever you call that it is a 240 VOLT tanning bed. There is too many variables to even guess what the cost would be. I have seen hourly rates as low as $25 and as high as $100. Depends on your area. Another big question is how far away from your electrical panel the bed sits and how much it draws (for wire size). No way to guess over the internet. Wish I could help.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:59 AM

14 posts, read 211,287 times
Look up your beds model/make online and see what it requires. I bought my exwife a tanning salon everybed was different. If its a 20 min bed most likely you can use the dryer outlet like mentioned, get a dedicated line which is alot better anyways. We had 10 min beds which required more power and a standup which required a electrical panel next to the bed. Check online for some new bulbs too they only last 1000 hours. I think it was 250 for all new bulbs for the 20 min beds. pm me if you need help with that if not good luck with your adventure....

Old 03-19-2008, 11:10 AM

i changed the pigtail, and it does work in the dryer outlet, but i did contact an electrician and I am getting a dedicated outlet for the tanning bed on monday. its gonna cost $140 for everythng to get the outlet installed.
thank you everybody for all the help.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:52 AM

1 posts, read 50,132 times
Default Help!!!!

I have a chance to buy a 10 yr old bed for 100 bucks, new bulbs everything. The problem is---her X totally cut the electrical cord off of the bed. Can that be replaced easily? Would it work the same? Easy to install? Any info would be great! Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House