Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2017, 10:02 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,518,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I'll bet the same people who say that shooting down a drone lands you in Federal court also believes that damaging mailboxes lands you in Federal court.

I have bridges to sell those posters.
Don't forget removing the mattress tags...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 10:56 AM

4,316 posts, read 4,202,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The local police are not the one that charges you with a crime for shooting down a drone. It is the Feds, as it is a federal crime you have committed. You are tried in federal court with the Crime, enforced by the FAA.

You will be charged for discharging a gun within the city limits in most cities. You will have committed two crimes with 2 different authorities giving you separate charges for criminal acts.

Man charged after shooting down drone - wave3.com-Louisville News, Weather & Sports

Can I Shoot Down My Neighbor's Drone? - Law and Daily Life

And you can be sued and will lose if you shoot down a drone.

https://petapixel.com/2015/06/29/man...-with-shotgun/
I will also turn this the other way --

Teenager gets scalped and his throat slit by blades of a drone -- http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1447068

Drone kills 13-yr old girl on her way to school -- Teenager is killed after she is hit by model plane | Daily Mail Online

Are you willing to let Billy fly his hobby drone over your kids' head? I know I am not.

To allow this hobby drone to fly over my kids and my own head -- that's what is asinine. 20 feet up? What is this, a joke?

Old 07-07-2017, 01:22 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
How close can an inmate fly his drone to his prison: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/07/u...e-escape.html?

Old 07-07-2017, 01:26 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
I will also turn this the other way --
Teenager gets scalped and his throat slit by blades of a drone -- Queens man, 19, killed by toy helicopter - NY Daily News
Drone kills 13-yr old girl on her way to school -- Teenager is killed after she is hit by model plane | Daily Mail Online
Are you willing to let Billy fly his hobby drone over your kids' head? I know I am not.
To allow this hobby drone to fly over my kids and my own head -- that's what is asinine. 20 feet up? What is this, a joke?
Look at your headlines. Tragic events, for sure, but neither incident involved a drone. One was a large model helicopter, the other an aerobatic aircraft model. Neither one of these aircraft was one of the small drones available to the public. FAA and AMA safety rules prohibit "flying over your kids' heads" Unfortunately "Billy" cannot be forbidden to buy a drone. He can find his actions with it regulated by US, State, and Local laws.
The Academy of Model Aeronautics is the governing body for remote piloted and other hobby flying in the USA. They require members to carry insurance, fly in a safe manner, and essentially always fly from an established field where the crowd can be safe and the environs controlled.
Drones are a concern because they have four or more motors with sharp blades, they have electronic stabilization systems which makes the sport accessible to almost anyone, and they are available at retail to the general public.
What was originally an expensive hobby enjoyed by a few skilled pilots for education and recreation has become a widespread phenomenon and does certainly present a danger to the public when misused.
"Sort of like guns and cars and computers"
https://www.modelaircraft.org/

Old 07-07-2017, 02:55 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
A good old shotgun would be the way to go. Of course it might be illegal, but maybe not.

https://www.copblock.org/146434/judg...ot-down-drone/

Old 07-07-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Look at your headlines. Tragic events, for sure, but neither incident involved a drone. One was a large model helicopter, the other an aerobatic aircraft model. Neither one of these aircraft was one of the small drones available to the public. FAA and AMA safety rules prohibit "flying over your kids' heads" Unfortunately "Billy" cannot be forbidden to buy a drone. He can find his actions with it regulated by US, State, and Local laws.
The Academy of Model Aeronautics is the governing body for remote piloted and other hobby flying in the USA. They require members to carry insurance, fly in a safe manner, and essentially always fly from an established field where the crowd can be safe and the environs controlled.
Drones are a concern because they have four or more motors with sharp blades, they have electronic stabilization systems which makes the sport accessible to almost anyone, and they are available at retail to the general public.
Are you willing to find out if Billy's drone can hurt your kids?

According to my research yesterday, I learned that a court in Washington DC found FAA rules to register hobby drones illegal. It cost like $ 3 dollars to register before. Now, you don't have to register. Not sure if AMA can obligate drone hobbists to register and insure.

Sure, Billy can enjoy his hobby, but at the designated places or his own property. But not over my backyard, which gets lots of traffic, parties, gatherings, whatever.

Picture this -- we have people over, out on the patio, grilling, chilling. Here comes Billy's drone buzzing around. I yell "Run, let's go. Seek shelter. Billy needs to enjoy his hobby?"

Even if there is registration in place, annual inspections, licensing of operators etc etc. FAA still prohibits flying these drones over groups of people.

Like I said, it is insane to expect that I jeopardize my kids so that Billy can enjoy his hobby on my backyard. So, I will shoot it down, seven times over.

Old 07-07-2017, 04:02 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,076,604 times
I think we should all pitch in and buy Henry a drone.

He could take great pictures of all his family gatherings. I bet he'd love it.

Old 07-07-2017, 04:31 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,046,101 times
Is this a "drone with a camera" or a "teenager with a model airplane"?

I think the latter.

Old 07-07-2017, 06:23 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,076,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I think we should all pitch in and buy Henry a drone.

He could take great pictures of all his family gatherings. I bet he'd love it.
OK - I thought this was an amusing joke, but Henry does not see the humor in it and said so in a private message.

I guess we'll NOT be lightening the mood with him.

Do not send cash for the "drones for drone-haters" good-will project. - it's been cancelled!

Old 07-07-2017, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
OK - I thought this was an amusing joke, but Henry does not see the humor in it and said so in a private message.

I guess we'll NOT be lightening the mood with him.

Do not send cash for the "drones for drone-haters" good-will project. - it's been cancelled!
Lol. So if I say no to chocolate over my steak, that makes me a chocolate-hater now?

Here is a tip on making jokes -- if you can't think straight, don't make them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House