Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2017, 08:54 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Here is video of Drone Slicer / Blender:

https://youtu.be/B_Kym0e5J7M

Cutting a chicken -- https://youtu.be/MgeRchTHxVk

As FAA stipulates drones are dangerous to operate over people. But if you're willing to take that risk for yourself, that's your prerogative.

But do your friends a favor -- keep your drone away from their kids. You will not be their friend if God forbid your drone malfunctions and slices some kid's fingers, or worse.
That is only true for unlicensed drone operators. Licensed drone operators, averaging 300 a day since licensing regulations went into effect last summer and includes MANY hobby pilots, are allowed to fly over people. We do it all the time in the course of the research we do. Literally hundreds of people every day we fly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 08:58 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Henry, I've tried to be friendly with you, even though we disagree on the value and safety of drones. It's not personal.

You seem obsessed with their safety, even though I'm not sure you've even ever seen one in your vicinity. Maybe I missed it, it's been a long thread with lots of people on it.

Fact is, those of you who claim you will shoot them down, seem a far bigger danger in a suburban neighborhood than the guy puttering around with his drone. I just hope you consider that. Is your response reasonable? I don't think so, and the police may well agree with me. Your mileage may vary...

If it's 20 feet over your kids on any property, I'd suggest you tell the kid to move before you go shooting at it. Just an idea.
You can't take someone seriously who think the correct reaction to a drone 20ft over a child's head is to shoot it down. He cannot seem to grasp that causing it to fail over someone's head might be a bad idea. He is irrational, and it's a shame because I think most of the other people have some really good points about how to balance the utility of drones with their potential for harm.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:06 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,452,962 times
Whether a drone's presence is secret or obvious at the time of flight is not the issue. Most, if not all people, do not want their private property filmed, especially without their prior consent. It is what the camera-equipped drone can see and record that is the issue.

I don't want to find out that an HD video camera is filming overhead merely by the presence of sight or sound of it as it trespasses my property and makes a permanent record of what it sees. Many people are hard of hearing, not to mention that they may not see the drone. They might not themselves be home at the time the drone is overhead, either. Even if someone can hear or see a drone, that does not serve as reasonable notice (as one poster appears to suggest), let alone approval of the overflight.

Homeowners, as well as renters, have the right to privacy not to have their real or personal property in their private backyard filmed and permanently recorded..

I suggest that videographers contact neighbors IN ADVANCE and obtain their agreement before filming.

As to camera quality, even the new iPhones can record in Ultra HD 4K. I'd call that super-high quality.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:20 PM

14,472 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Truth is it is not reasonable to require prior permission from every owner or occupant of land a drone flies over, any more than aircraft need your clearance to fly overhead. It makes the world an impassible patchwork of different rules and permissions. I know some of you won't like this, but I don't think you're going to win this one. We'll see.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 07-07-2017 at 09:39 PM..

Old 07-07-2017, 09:53 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
You can't take someone seriously who think the correct reaction to a drone 20ft over a child's head is to shoot it down.
Why do I get the feeling that debating like this is like debating a drunkard on a cheap Jersey Shore dive bar?

How many times did I tell you - safe shot? Shoot helter-skelter 20 feet over my kids' heads a drone which may veer off erratically? Are you serious, or simply lost?

I asked another poster directly if she flew the drone 20 feet over her kids but you popped up.

Quote:
I do.
If this is true, then I think such actions are not only wrecklessness but also child endangerment.

Although I have never operated a drone, yes, I have seen other people do, in my vicinity. They are very useful machine, like the meat-cleaver is a very useful tool in the proper application.

Drones' place is NOT on people's backyard. As the meat-cleaver has no place in the baby crib.

Privacy is a secondary concern of mine too.

So weighing all factors, risks, benefits, I will tell you again, I am right and you are wrong.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:04 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,117 times
Quote:
He is irrational, and it's a shame because I think most of the other people have some really good points about how to balance the utility of drones with their potential for harm.
Let me try if this other concept will register with you:

-- you may be the best drone operator there is, and your drone may be the most perfect, indestructible drone that ever was. Yet, all of this is irrelevant.

You don't know Yahoo Bill's capabilities or incapabilities. Neither have you a clue about his machine. So how can you advise OP from wherever the xxxx you are not to worry about it?

Old 07-07-2017, 11:52 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,009,126 times
Quote:
Why do I get the feeling that debating like this is like debating a drunkard on a cheap Jersey Shore dive bar?
Quote:
Are you serious, or simply lost?
Quote:
They are very useful machine, like the meat-cleaver is a very useful tool in the proper application.

Drones' place is NOT on people's backyard. As the meat-cleaver has no place in the baby crib.

So weighing all factors, risks, benefits, I will tell you again, I am right and you are wrong.
I like your style and you are funny !!!

Old 07-08-2017, 12:06 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
It is highly unlikely that your neighborhood thief or pedophile is using a plane or satellite to scope out your home.

And, how long will it be before drones are capable of taking highly detailed pictures?....only a matter of time.

I agree with you about rules, we need new laws put in place to regulate the use of drones, starting with requiring a license to make sure drone operators know the laws, just like driving a car or flying a plane.
One thing which should be included is if one has a picture which is other than just sitting on the file, meaning posted anywhere, it must have the permission of the house owner in writing, and each and every person in the picture to be posted or published. And before taking a picture, the drone owner should be required to ask.

Someone could use a drone to keep an eye on an area, especially when they are home or not, and those in the home should be able to say no.

They shouldn't be used as toys.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:57 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,216,228 times
I'm not worried about anyone peaking into my windows. Peak away. But they are noisy, and can be used to harrass wildlife. They probably bother wildlife without the operator even knowing. They are illegal in most state and national parks.
The tide keeps rising on more people and more people going fast, making noise, invading your space whether its noise, or their trash or whatever. No one keeps their **** to themselves.
And as that tide rises it gets harder and harder to just let it slide and be civil.
Drones are just another thing.
Do the right thing and tell the neighbor how you feel.
Then I'd put a big no tresspassing ing on my roof or chimney
Then I'd shoot it down or hit it with a laser or whatever.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:42 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Whether a drone's presence is secret or obvious at the time of flight is not the issue. Most, if not all people, do not want their private property filmed<>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wujVMIYzYXg

Film is rarely used these days, but it is a specific term. Try "recorded" instead.
As for privacy on your own property, it does not exist if you are in plain view of the neighbors or from the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House