Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 12:39 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,799,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
You grabbed a drone out of mid-air, out your window.

Got any other stories for us?!
No its true!! he/she was flying it right outside the open window by the bedroom area. and it ended up inside while it was dark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 12:52 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,493,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I never gave much thought to drones until one hovered over us for about 30 minutes at a public tennis court.<>
I'm going to challenge you on this because the endurance of most amateur quadcopters is more like 5 minutes, not 30 minutes. Professional ones maybe, but here is an auxiliary kit that boosts flight time on expensive drones up to 25 minutes. It costs over $600 just for the upgrade.
"But they are annoying"

Old 07-03-2017, 12:59 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,682,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoodlemomCoS View Post
We are having a heated debate in our neighborhood. One of our neighbors is flying their drone with a camera over and around the houses in our subdivision. This is ticking off some of the neighbors. Just for background, our subdivision is a non HOA with all of our lots being 1/2-1 acre in size.

Some of the neighbors are saying their home ownership rights extend up vertically and that the neighbor's camera drone is infringing on the home owner's privacy.

I really don't care but my hubby said "What if some neighbor flew their drone past the high bathroom window we have (that has no curtain treatments on because it's too high) and you or one of our kids were getting out of the tub or shower?"

Hmmm. That gave me a bit of pause.

What say you?
Typically air rights need to be spelled out in the deed or they are not presumed to be exclusive. Hence the fact an airplane can fly "over" a neighborhood as long as its noise isn't disturbing.

But that being said, flying a camera equipped drone can become harassment if they fly past a window or their noise is bothersome. You should call your local PD if any of that happens.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:03 PM

15,701 posts, read 17,001,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoodlemomCoS View Post
No worries. I'm honestly just wondering why some people are angry about this while others don't care at all. That's why I posted. I never really thought anyone would be doing something malicious at all but snooping was the very first thing that came to my husband's mind.

Let's say I spent thousands of dollars for a privacy fence around my back yard.......and then along comes a hovering drone destroying my privacy. Yes, I would be very angry.

Kind of like someone getting a ladder to stand on to peek over the fence or standing on the sidewalk scoping out your windows with binoculars.

It is an invasion of privacy and very rude.

Certainly a good way to make your neighbors hate you.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:06 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,207,511 times
In one of the state forums, end of last year, is a thread about a drone and a family being harrassed by the drone owner. Their house had high windows, and their daugher complained she could hear it outside her window. The drone owner had been warned already. The cops had been called. The father put a camera in place which would show it. This was given to the cops.

The police DID come out and order the drone owner to keep his toy away from the window, and the yard and the house. It was harrassment. Family and drone owner were both planning to sue each other so not much else got said, except the city was concerned about this and other complaints like it, and did not believe that spying in a window was okay.

I don't think most people are going to complain if the toy is kept out of private areas, and that should include back yards. If there was no difference then why would people gather in the backyard instead of sitting on the front under a shade tree? But while its not perfect privacy, its is still privacy.

I detested it when I lived near the beach and copters would go down the street with their bright lights looking at everyones yards at night. It was SAID to be because people leaving the beach who were not desirable hung around to find good pickings. Mostly it was because they could.

I'm going to be covering my wire fence with shade cloth so I'll have some privacy in my yard. With a long open fence, it hardly feels like mine. If I could, I'd have an 8 foot brick fence, but don't have the money. Shadecloth will do just fine. These drone pests aren't very common here at least. I suspect that many of them who go wander in other people's yards might not survive the trip home.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:09 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,363,100 times
We had a guy at work, thought it was funny to fly his over his neighbor house, neighbor shot it down and the sheriff refuse to do anything about it

Old 07-03-2017, 01:12 PM

4,315 posts, read 3,977,154 times
I notice some of the same posters defending drone users are the same posters who defended contractors bringing their dogs to houses.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:22 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,629,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Let's say I spent thousands of dollars for a privacy fence around my back yard.......and then along comes a hovering drone destroying my privacy. Yes, I would be very angry.

Kind of like someone getting a ladder to stand on to peek over the fence or standing on the sidewalk scoping out your windows with binoculars.

It is an invasion of privacy and very rude.

Certainly a good way to make your neighbors hate you.
Is it like a neighbor building a 3 story house with 12 foot ceilings so that your entire "privacy" fence means little to anyone looking from there?

I learned an important lesson many years ago when I visited Washington State and took a seaplane ride. Pointed out to me (and thousands of others weekly) was where Bill Gates lives.

If Bill Gates doesn't get "privacy", then you don't either...unless you buy some sort of vast property out in the country (maybe).

Another lesson - we have sightseeing helicopters (real ones) here every single day. They have a web site where they take pictures of boats...and you can buy a pic of your own boat from them. They have a zoom camera on board that can read your registration number and boat name - from 500+ feet.

Do you think they've ever gotten a complaint? I don't think so...

As far as the 15-20 feet, that's so far from decent it's not worth talking about. I'd probably take a video of it and call the police.

The whole idea of people living closely together is basic respect. Of course, building a large privacy fence broadcasts to your neighbors that you may not have interest in waving to them or saying "good morning".

You have as much right to "privacy on YOUR property" as you have to the property itself if you don't pay your taxes. You are only borrowing that property and squatting on it....temporarily...as we all are. 7 Billion people on the planet...if you want privacy, close the shades or build a man cave in the basement.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:22 PM

14,416 posts, read 11,954,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papichulo2 View Post
No its true!! he/she was flying it right outside the open window by the bedroom area. and it ended up inside while it was dark
Right... and you saying "It's true!" is all the proof we need, right? Oh AND it was dark out? Really!?

Seriously, careful reaching for low flying drones, people have actually lost fingers. It has sharp, spinning blades on it.

Drone injury grounds Enrique Iglesias for longer than expected The pop singer grabbed at a camera drone during a show, slicing open several fingers and, further examination has revealed, fracturing his hand

Old 07-03-2017, 01:24 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,629,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papichulo2 View Post
Can you tell us the model number or send a pic along? I'm interested in what model it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House