Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2017, 05:52 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times

Advertisements

I hated to start a new thread asking for suggestions but all the other threads were city specific. I will be moving to a house I bought in a nearby town in October. There have been a lot of burglaries all over the county lately and since I am a widow who is alone most of the time I plan on getting an alarm system and a dog when I get into the house. I did some research online and checked reviews for different companies and that didn't make things any clearer for me.

I want an alarm on every window and door and a camera at the patio slider and front door. I want to be able to open the window part way when the system is set for when the weather is nice (here in Florida that's a few months in our "winter and early spring"). I know some systems will sense the sound of a window breaking and will make the alarm go off. I also want a panic button and a monitored system where if the alarm goes off a security person or cop comes to the house; none of this stuff where the alarm company calls to see if I'm alright and if I don't answer then they send someone out. I have a weapon but would rather not be put in a situation where I must use it if I can prevent it. I will be replacing some of the windows with hurricane resistant, unbreakable glass especially the patio sliders and the windows in the back of the house. (There are a lot of windows).

I've heard mixed reviews about ADT, some people say their customer service is horrible, other swear by them. I've heard others say that in the smash and grab situations, most criminals know how much time they have between the alarm going off and the cops coming.

Some suggestions and/or reviews of your current system would be helpful. My closing date is September 8th but I won't be moving in till October as the roof has to be replaced and it needs some other upgrades.

Edited to add: I am not a DIYer. I don't want something I have to install myself like with SimpliSafe unless it's so simple a child could do it.

Last edited by chiluvr1228; 07-07-2017 at 06:00 AM.. Reason: Added a sentence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 02:16 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
I'd recommend going with a reputable local installer and central monitoring. If you want to have central monitoring with it's own dedicated "cellular" link instead of using the phone line, expect to pay more per month for the monitoring, but still a fraction of the monthly rate ADT would charge.

Have you considered interior motion sensors for when you are not home?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I want an alarm on every window and door and a camera at the patio slider and front door. I want to be able to open the window part way when the system is set for when the weather is nice (here in Florida that's a few months in our "winter and early spring"). I know some systems will sense the sound of a window breaking and will make the alarm go off.
Glass break sensors have improved with time, but still aren't great, prone to false positives and false negatives.

Other than ease of running wiring all at the same time, there isn't much reason to get your cameras from your alarm company.

Quote:
I also want a panic button and a monitored system where if the alarm goes off a security person or cop comes to the house; none of this stuff where the alarm company calls to see if I'm alright and if I don't answer then they send someone out.
"Calls first, if don't answer, then send someone" may be required to avoid paying a fine for false call outs.

Old 07-07-2017, 03:50 PM

So someone breaks in and I'm being stabbed to death. Security company calls, waits for me to answer, when I don't then they send someone. Meanwhile I'm dead when they finally arrive. Seems like a foolproof plan. LOL.

What do interior motion sensors do? I want the bad guys to not get into the interior. Maybe I should just get a big dog. :-)

Old 07-07-2017, 10:29 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,756,921 times
Any alarm system is only as good as the local police response time, ask yours what typical response time is. False calls outs are a big problem. An alarm system and cameras are good deterrents though, and most criminals move onto easier pickings, like homes without those. Get motion sensitive floodlights, be careful how you position them near neighbors.

Impact resistant windows and doors are good. Do you have inward swinging glass double front doors? If so, replace them with impact resistant glass doors that swing outward. They will be hard to kick in.

We are putting in impact windows, replacing the front door and covering the lanai opening with a kevlar electric roll down screen. Our neighborhood is fairly safe but we want the hurricane protection. The salesman for the three estimates we got all stressed the break in safety of impact resistant windows and doors, but break ins still occur with them.

If you plan on getting a dog, check how the motion sensors with the alarm work with pets. A barking dog is a great alarm. I was in the back spraying my trees today and heard my dog barking. I went around to the front and my DIL and grandkids were there.

Last edited by jean_ji; 07-07-2017 at 10:51 PM..

Old 07-07-2017, 11:05 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Quote:
I hated to start a new thread asking for suggestions but all the other threads were city specific. I will be moving to a house I bought in a nearby town in October. There have been a lot of burglaries all over the county lately and since I am a widow who is alone most of the time I plan on getting an alarm system and a dog when I get into the house.
Quote:
So someone breaks in and I'm being stabbed to death. Security company calls, waits for me to answer, when I don't then they send someone.
Burglaries and stabbings are 2 different threats, it will help if you prioritize your concerns. For personal safety, you should educate yourself re personal alert options. Even though these are commonly considered "medical alert" devices, you can use them to summon help if you're fearful for your personal safety. Here's a good link: https://www.agingcare.com/articles/h...tem-134983.htm

Personal alert systems of course will not protect your house against burglary. That's where you get into the options available in the area to which you're moving. Word of mouth there can help in choosing which provider is the best. I'd suggest you also contact law enforcement in that area and ask their recommendations. Pointing cameras at the doors IMO doesn't seem a useful strategy in your situation, unless you plan to be away from home frequently.

Just don't expect to find one alarm system that will protect you from both burglary and personal assault.

My mom lived alone out in the country well into her 80s. She had storm windows and also used door security bars (easily removable from the inside) on all the doors. She got a base package package (window and door intrusions) from a local provider, no bells and whistles. We installed motion detector lights outside. She got a separate personal/medical alert system. We felt like that was a good overall system.

And yes, a dog in the house is a good idea IF you're an experienced capable dog owner.

Old 07-08-2017, 12:34 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,022,082 times
I used front point. I was satisfied.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:24 AM

Thanks everyone. Here in Florida most houses' front doors open out. I was told it was because it is harder for a hurricane to blow your door open.

I looked on Yelp before posting here and there was only one review for one security system in my immediate area.

I might be a little paranoid but I've lived in a gated community on the 2nd floor with a steel reinforced front door for the last four years. I am never scared here, when the weather is nice I live my sliding glass door open because the only person coming in would be Spiderman up the side of the building. So now I'm going to a single family home in the next town over with lots of windows and three different entrances.

Yes, I've had dogs all my life: big ones, little ones and everything in between. We used to have Bullmastiff's. I was never afraid with them but the breed is on the "list" of dogs that will increase your insurance or prevent you from buying a condo or even renting an apartment.

This is my deceased aunt's house and she has motion detector lights at the garage area, not sure they even work. But I will drive around the neighborhood in the next week and check with some of the neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House