Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 02:45 PM

844 posts, read 1,426,525 times

Advertisements

I'm helping a hoarder clean their home..they have an open bag of Diamond Vener Finish Plaster in the house, how do you dispose of this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 08:54 PM

17,676 posts, read 29,593,959 times
Lunch.
Well, multiple lunches.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:22 PM

30,266 posts, read 16,022,209 times
Not really sure what it is but wonder if you'd get more/better responses on the Green Living forum?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/green-living/

Old 07-21-2017, 09:25 PM

14,339 posts, read 11,837,307 times
I don't think you'll make much progress cleaning out this hoarder's house, if you need to ask for advice about every item

Old 07-21-2017, 11:29 PM

5,513 posts, read 6,429,846 times
Garbage can. Do you really think everyone in the world follows all the environmental rules? Have you seen a real live garbage dump? Don't worry about it, just get rid of it in the trash, and of course definite recycles in the recycle bin.

Disclaimer: I am careful of what I put in my trash as a rule, and actually pick up trash when I am in parking lots and dispose of it, and recycle faithfully. In this case, however, you do not have the luxury of researching every unknown thing. In the interest of time and a change of mind by the owner/hoarder, I would make an exception and put most items in the trash unless they are know to be a recycle item.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:03 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,559,971 times
For getting rid of things in a situation like this, with some items, we have put some things on that guy's list under Free and also left them by the sidewalk or by the trash cans or some area where people were happy to take them. If the neighborhood will not bear with you in order to improve the hoarder house...well, maybe just the free list.

Old 07-22-2017, 04:41 AM

844 posts, read 1,426,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I don't think you'll make much progress cleaning out this hoarder's house, if you need to ask for advice about every item
I'm not asking about "the item" per say...I'm wondering if you can put 50lb bags of plaster on the street as trash or do you have to take it somewhere. I could have re-worded it another way..and say "I'm a NEW CONTRACTOR" what do guys do with their old plaster

Old 07-22-2017, 05:05 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,820,449 times
A quick Google search says that bag is $50 new, if it's not hard as a rock as the other poster suggested put it on CL for free.

Old 07-22-2017, 11:28 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,467,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
Garbage can.<>I would make an exception and put most items in the trash unless they are know to be a recycle item.
Or hazardous. Oil base paint is a challenge. Latex is easy, just let it dray and put in the garbage. New technology light bulbs have mercury like fluorescent tubes and need to be taken to a facility that can deal with it. This plaster I would just dump. To avoid a mess of white powder everywhere, mix in some water and let it set up.
I've always suspected that the recycle truck takes its load to the same dump, they just use a different entrance and put it on the same pile.
"beep, beep , beep"

Old 07-22-2017, 12:12 PM

5,513 posts, read 6,429,846 times
There was a documentary out years ago that I was told about, and actually did watch, showing that recycling is a scam and is a "feel good" catch word for people. Simply put, recycling is like anything when people are involved (2 sides to every issue, sometimes more), but this documentary showed the negative side of it (being a scam). I however, choose to follow my heart/morals responsible conscience and recycle anyway. There is no harm in it and it is a good thing to do.

With that being said, unless one specifically knows what to do with the old paints, solvents, batteries, light bulbs, etc. that are constantly changing and becoming an environmental issue, thanks to the changes in our government rules and regs, I would, as a helper to a hoarder, simply toss what I don't know about in the trash and let it go to the garbage dumps. In this specific case, one also needs the space, the transport and the place to take specific items to. In my case, I live in the 'burbs and all the dumping sites are in the "inner-city" of my city, bad neighborhoods and waaaaay too far away. Not gonna happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House