Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 09:57 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,679,015 times

Advertisements

I have a Stearns and Foster king double pillow top that is going on 25+ years now that is still almost like new. It is was an over $2500 mattress new (back then) that I bought new at an outlet store for $699. Best purchase/investment in a mattress that I have ever made especially for that price.

I flip and also rotate it every 3 - 6 months, as well as vacuum it thoroughly, and by the time I end up flipping it back to the position where I originally started at it is always like new again. And as far as comfort, I do believe that all 3 bears would approve that it is one of the most comfortable beds for virtually anyone's taste and sleeping style.

I can't imagine that I will ever have to replace it based on how well it is, and has been, holding up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 08:59 AM

30,707 posts, read 79,581,771 times
You get a better deal and better quality buying from a mattress maker directly.

Anything with a name brand, you are paying for marketing and a big supply chain with mark up at each stage.and sacrificing quality.

they can be hard to find and some of them are fake (just use a name like "Mattress Factory" but they just buy mattresses). A real mattress maker you can walk to the back and see them making mattresses.

The one we bought 20 years ago is made of latex foam rubber. It is a solid piece. Very comfortable, apparently lasts forever, but it is extremely difficult to move. It takes 6 people to carry it.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:24 PM

44,593 posts, read 61,412,482 times
Our quality Serta mattress has a 25 year warranty, we've had it for over 14 years now and it's still like new.

Old 08-21-2017, 12:13 PM

677 posts, read 931,805 times
I hate to be the "Daughter of Doom" but all of you who boast your mattress is 15+ years well it seems mattress companies have succumb to doing things cheaper like most other mfg's. I too was thinking about replacing my 3yr old Kingsdown king sized mattress that cost us $2200.00 (discount price - Ha!) due to body impressions, these mattress's just don't stay firm like they claim to. Well after researching customer reviews on consumeraffairs.com it seems no matter what brand I investigated the complaints were off the hook! Complaints of sagging, sinking down into a sinkhole, edges giving way, companies not honoring their warranties, etc. Complaints also shown on YouTube as well. So where do I go from here?

Also women who are menopausal have issues of hot flashes especially when they lie down (being horizontal) therefore memory foam mattress's can present a serious problem for them since these new mattress's don't having a air venting system like the older one's did.

Old 08-21-2017, 12:44 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,721,368 times
When I start being uncomfortable on the current one. We've had this one probably 20 years and it's still fine. I have a 2" memory foam pad on it.

Old 08-21-2017, 03:53 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,016,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
You can wash down pillows, comforters and feather beds. I have done so many times. They tumble dry just fine, assuming there is enough room in the dryer. I typically finish them outside in the sun, but you don't have to.
I was told by a dermatologist to never wash anything with down in it . That is why I said that .

Old 08-21-2017, 09:29 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,503,755 times
In 38 years of marriage, we had 2 mattress sets. The 1st lasted 21 years. The 2nd one started feeling a little uncomfortable after about 14 years so we bought a 3" memory foam topper that made it feel better-than-new.

Then last winter we bought a new home in another state with the intent of keeping both homes for awhile. That meant a new mattress.
After much research, I purchased a Novaform 14" memory foam mattress from Costco. (Costco's extremely liberal return policy was a factor in that decision). That was 9 months ago. The reviews said it was very firm so I purchased a foam topper for it but didn't need it. It's just the right firmness for us.
DH is very picky about his mattresses and pillows and was doubtful about buying another one but we both love it.
Being memory foam, it does sleep a little warmer than I'd like but nothing I can't deal with, and DH says it's not a factor for him. Back in January there were a few nights when the temps fell to single temps and I stayed comfy wearing my normal pj's and with just one extra blanket.

We ended up selling the 1st home and moved the old mattress set here to our guest room. We slept on it a couple of nights and it's still good but we now prefer the new one. I don't expect the new one to last anywhere near as long as the older, better made mattress sets but we only paid $600 for it so we won't mind shelling out for another one in a few years.

Last edited by biscuitmom; 08-21-2017 at 09:40 PM..

Old 08-22-2017, 10:01 AM

613 posts, read 940,838 times
In the mid-90's, I shopped & shopped & shopped for a new queen mattress & box spring. Laid down on every one in every store (almost). I ended up at a big suburban Sears store with a huge mattress dept. I bought the firmest, most expensive Sealy Posture-pedic (sp?) they sold, for about $1000 delivered.

Wow, what a great mattress, & box spring, to this day. Firm-ish, but also very comfortable. I've stayed at quite a few expensive Inns & hotels, & there's one that I think has nicer beds/mattress's, in Kennebunkport, ME. I should have asked them what they were.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:29 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,122,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
In 38 years of marriage, we had 2 mattress sets. The 1st lasted 21 years. The 2nd one started feeling a little uncomfortable after about 14 years so we bought a 3" memory foam topper that made it feel better-than-new.

Then last winter we bought a new home in another state with the intent of keeping both homes for awhile. That meant a new mattress.
After much research, I purchased a Novaform 14" memory foam mattress from Costco. (Costco's extremely liberal return policy was a factor in that decision). That was 9 months ago. The reviews said it was very firm so I purchased a foam topper for it but didn't need it. It's just the right firmness for us.
DH is very picky about his mattresses and pillows and was doubtful about buying another one but we both love it.
Being memory foam, it does sleep a little warmer than I'd like but nothing I can't deal with, and DH says it's not a factor for him. Back in January there were a few nights when the temps fell to single temps and I stayed comfy wearing my normal pj's and with just one extra blanket.

We ended up selling the 1st home and moved the old mattress set here to our guest room. We slept on it a couple of nights and it's still good but we now prefer the new one. I don't expect the new one to last anywhere near as long as the older, better made mattress sets but we only paid $600 for it so we won't mind shelling out for another one in a few years.
My big concern about this approach is getting rid of the old mattress. You had a guest room to use one, but when the time comes to replace something without a location to reuse it, one of the draws of a traditional mattress seller is that they will haul away the old one.

Old 08-22-2017, 02:26 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,520,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Note that due to some Californian who lit themselves on fire while in bed, you can no longer buy Any mattress that can be "flipped". So don't expect to find one.
Actually, you can buy "flippable" mattresses (including pillow tops). In my area "the Original Mattress Factory" sells quite a nice one.

The reason that flippable mattresses were done away with is because it is cheaper to make one with only the pillow top on one side.

Additionally, most people feel that flipping a mattress extends the wear of the mattress, and that divots form more quickly in unflippable mattresses, thus by making mattresses unflippable, the industry could sell mattresses more often.

The big companies (most of whom start with S) do *not* make flippable mattresses, but if you look in the smaller/independent/local companies, you can likely still find them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House