Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 06:42 AM

120 posts, read 307,669 times

Advertisements

The outside of the house is one of the most visible things you can change so we spent a lot of time looking at colors. The original color had become a faded light orange and we were leaning toward a more stately, but darker, gray or blue. We looked at other houses that had been painted in these colors and they all looked very nice.

Now that they did the first coat, I can't even believe it! How long will it take me to get over the shock of seeing this new color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 06:54 AM

49,955 posts, read 63,265,686 times
What do you mean? You don't like it, or you just aren't used to it? A picture would be nice.

If you know you bought the same color as another house you liked, I think once the second coat goes on and the trim is done, you'll be fine.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:01 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,187,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHausMaus View Post
The outside of the house is one of the most visible things you can change so we spent a lot of time looking at colors. The original color had become a faded light orange and we were leaning toward a more stately, but darker, gray or blue. We looked at other houses that had been painted in these colors and they all looked very nice.

Now that they did the first coat, I can't even believe it! How long will it take me to get over the shock of seeing this new color.
How did you pick the color? Big objects like a house will generally need lighter shades than might first appear from looking at a paint chip.

My builder said just to look at houses I like and he'd pick the color based on that rather than me starting from scratch. I "went my own way" trying to do shutter colors and it turned out so much brighter and darker than I wanted!... So, I lost the money I spent on a custom color and had to have them all redone...lesson learned.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:06 AM

23,875 posts, read 10,251,883 times
The only time we had a house with some siding we painted the garden shed first. When neighbors asked if we plan to leave it "that color" it was obvious that Colonial Blue was not going to be it.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:25 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,337,858 times
Here's my before/after:

As for how we picked a color? We knew that the cream/light color trim is flat out wrong from brick homes. It looks garish. We simply stood infront of the paint dept and looked at the different colors. Found one we liked and bought a gallon to test out. I did one window and it looked good, so we bought enough to do the rest of the house. Maybe 5 minutes of looking at colors in the store, one of the easier things we've done. Of course, my wife argues that it's brown while I say it's green (official name is "Wild Rice")

I've yet to hear a negative comment about the color choice, but it's hard to go a week without hearing praise (painted it over a year ago, last compliment was yesterday). We still love it and think the house looks Sooooooo much better now it's not even funny. Gives the house a more mature feel IMHO, and when we're driving around the old and $$$ neighborhoods in Atlanta, it's the brick homes with dark trim that look best (apparently to most people as they are the majority).

Old 08-15-2017, 09:36 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,302,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Here's my before/after:

As for how we picked a color? We knew that the cream/light color trim is flat out wrong from brick homes. It looks garish. We simply stood infront of the paint dept and looked at the different colors. Found one we liked and bought a gallon to test out. I did one window and it looked good, so we bought enough to do the rest of the house. Maybe 5 minutes of looking at colors in the store, one of the easier things we've done. Of course, my wife argues that it's brown while I say it's green (official name is "Wild Rice")

I've yet to hear a negative comment about the color choice, but it's hard to go a week without hearing praise (painted it over a year ago, last compliment was yesterday). We still love it and think the house looks Sooooooo much better now it's not even funny. Gives the house a more mature feel IMHO, and when we're driving around the old and $$$ neighborhoods in Atlanta, it's the brick homes with dark trim that look best (apparently to most people as they are the majority).
That looks stunning. Question: did you paint the gutters or replace?

Old 08-15-2017, 10:06 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,337,858 times
Gutters were replaced (foreclosure house that was badly neglected for a long time, most things were far beyond salvaging ~ gutters came down to repair the rotten fascia).

Old 08-15-2017, 10:10 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,302,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Gutters were replaced (foreclosure house that was badly neglected for a long time, most things were far beyond salvaging ~ gutters came down to repair the rotten fascia).

Thanks. I was just wondering because if you had painted them, how easy was it.

It really does look gorgeous.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:50 PM

10,819 posts, read 7,184,193 times
We recently repainted our house. The original color was off white, with dark green trim. They didn't even bother to match the kelly green roof, just went with a blackish green. We hated it.

Repaint: light gray with grayish turquoise trim. Much softer, lower contrast, so much nicer to look at. Trim still doesn't match the roof, but it doesn't look bad. And the white vinyl window frames now look like a third color, fresh and smart.

We chose the gray by matching the color of the underside of our metal roofing, "Mauna Kea White". No kidding!
Turquoise is my favorite color, but we wanted something subtle, so chose a soft, low-value version.
In the daytime, the gray and blue echo the sky; in the evening, you can hardly see the color difference. At night, it's dark and you can't see anything. : )

So it's been a year, and I'm still admiring the new color! Hope you love yours, too, HausMaus!

Old 08-15-2017, 01:33 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,381,520 times
Your paint color makes the house look very grounded and solid. I like it. I am having a hard time picking a color for our board and batten siding - currently a faded mossy green with stark white trim. Bottom of house is pinky orange red brick and roof is med dark brown so quite hard to tie the two together. Roof was new when we bought so stuck with the color and I don't want to paint the brick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House