Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2017, 08:46 AM

73 posts, read 78,934 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys,

I'm planning on painting the walls on my new build myself. I've never painted new walls before so i'm curious if they need to be primed.

I've read that priming is not needed if the walls walls are new and textured.

Any tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 08:56 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Yes; they should be primed with PVA primer.

Textured walls are done with drywall compound- it is porous and will absorb a lot of paint leaving you with a very uneven and dull finish without the primer.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:14 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
I'd be curious to see where the OP read that textured walls do not need primer... It would be one thing is the texture was applied OVER an existing wall, where the texture was maybe being used to hide defects, but in a new build situation lack of primer would likely result in VERY uneven uptake of paint...

I agree that PVA primer is the BEST for this situation as it SEALS the drywall and compound so that any topcoat will come out even and with the sheen that is desired.

The worst option would be the so-called "one coat paint and primer" as the manufacturers just add a thickening agent that does NOTHING to seal the surface, it just rolls on smoother but then as it dries you'll see weird patterns of where the stuff soaked into the compound. Only way to fix that is with multiple coats of expensive acrylic or shellac type primers...

Old 08-24-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Yes; they should be primed with PVA primer.

Textured walls are done with drywall compound- it is porous and will absorb a lot of paint leaving you with a very uneven and dull finish without the primer.

Next question, should i "backroll" every coat, or is that unnecessary?

Old 08-24-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlozan2 View Post
Next question, should i "backroll" every coat, or is that unnecessary?
That would depend on the heaviness of the texture. If the sprayer is at an angle it could create "shadows"- that would require backrolling. If the texture is a light knockdown finish you maybe able to just spray and be fine.

As a word of caution, I never let my painters spray a finish coat- priming didn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
As a word of caution, I never let my painters spray a finish coat- priming didn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

Can you elaborate on this?

Old 08-24-2017, 03:06 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
They probably need a primer. Otherwise they will just suck up the paint.

Old 08-24-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlozan2 View Post
Can you elaborate on this?
Put your finish coat on with a roller.

Old 08-25-2017, 05:51 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
I think that if you're going to do the painting yourself, and the house is completely empty, you might as well just use a roller.

Best is if you can get in there before the finished floor goes down - no drop cloths needed.

Not a fan of spray painting in any way shape or form except for cars. I understand why the painters in a tract house development do it, but the additional labor of using rollers and brushes for one person doing their own personal house is not that great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House