Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 08:55 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
If someone tried to build a floating house here, they'd run afoul of building codes that require all sorts of attached to the ground footings. A floating house designed to withstand floods would blow over in a hurricane, I'd expect. Unless maybe there were big cables or something which could be detached after the hurricane and allow the house to float? You'd need pylons or something for the house to rise on so it doesn't float away. Slack in the electrical lines and some sort of extender for the water and sewage lines.

Possibly it would be a lot less expensive to build the lower floor with poured concrete walls. Those would allow for floodwaters to come and then go and then have walls that wouldn't have cavities of mold inside afterwards.

For the folks in the current flooded Texas, I'd expect one of the first things once they get back to their houses would be to tear all the drywall off at least one side of the double walls so the interior of the walls can be dried out. Probably have to replace the wiring there, too. Basically rip out everything from the top of the floodwaters on down and then coat the remaining structural studs with Jomax or some other mold inhibiting compound. Then replace the siding, floor coverings, etc.
I am just trying to think outside the box. I am not saying there would not be problems. Whatever is done; home owners do not want to repeat one mistake after another. Hopefully Houston will never see another flood; but we know that is not true. So it is a matter of what can we change were people do not lose everything they own every time the water gets high?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 09:24 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,927,676 times
Not sure if building practices will change for the once every 100 years event.

Old 09-01-2017, 10:16 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
that show extreme homes would have something like that, I see no reason why not. the house could set on footers but doesnt have to be attach to the footers, it could have concrete columns to act as guides when the house floats. yes its very possible

or have a house that could climb, like jack itself up a columns to stay out of harms way, they have them in florida for sink holes

Old 09-02-2017, 03:23 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
but if the house isn't anchored to the ground, a strong wind--like a hurricane, maybe--could blow it over, or out of alignment, or into the house next door.

Old 09-02-2017, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
that show extreme homes would have something like that, I see no reason why not. the house could set on footers but doesnt have to be attach to the footers, it could have concrete columns to act as guides when the house floats. yes its very possible

or have a house that could climb, like jack itself up a columns to stay out of harms way, they have them in florida for sink holes
I don't know if something like this would be economically feasible? You could even take the idea further with flexible sewer, water, and electric connections that could withstand the elements - but those would be the least of your worries in dangerous floods.

I was originally thinking concrete columns or steel beams to hold the home in place. They could probably be designed/disguised to look like chimneys sticking out the roof for curb appeal?

There might be one problem when the flood water recede: what would be under the house. There would probably have to be some form of lift to clear any debris or alligators (don't want any dead gator stinking up your house)!

Old 09-02-2017, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Not sure if building practices will change for the once every 100 years event.
Houston was a 1000 year event. But we are seeing more of these floods that are not supposed to happen on a regular basis.

Old 09-02-2017, 04:57 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,622,028 times
I think it's a great idea but not practical for larger homes with garages. The homes would have to be smaller for this to work.

Old 09-02-2017, 07:47 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
What house has sewage when water is everywhere and no power?
So what about the 99% of the time you don't have a flood? You know......when it's dry. It's really not financially feasible.

It's far cheaper to buy flood insurance

Old 09-02-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
So what about the 99% of the time you don't have a flood? You know......when it's dry. It's really not financially feasible.

It's far cheaper to buy flood insurance
You could be very right? I am just floating an idea. I have been around long enough to know that every idea is not a brilliant idea - not all will work. It would probably be a great challenge for a class of engineering students to see what they would come up with. Anything could become more financially feasible if it was widely acceptable. Prototypes always cost the most.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:30 AM

840 posts, read 772,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
It seems like a cool idea. But then, what about sewage?
It would certainly have to be self-contained, and I imagine outfitted with composting toilets.

They couldn't have anything at all, like sewage or electrical or phone connections,
unless they would automatically disconnect & seal up just before the house needs to float.
(You might not be home to take care of that yourself.)

And . . . not all flood waters are slow moving. At least some of such 'arrangements would have to be able to withstand heavy currents.

Last edited by 2Q&Lrn&Hlp; 09-02-2017 at 10:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House