Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 06:21 AM

9,355 posts, read 14,014,289 times

Advertisements

I think that they are a lovely solution to a problem in the areas where ice forms on roofs. They also help to channel water that is melting on the roof then refreezing as ice cycles. While ice cycles can be interesting and lovely with the sun streaming through while you look out your window, you certainly would rather have numerous small ones rather than a few really large ones that break off at the moment you are walking out the front door. Kerklunk! your time on this planet would possibly be over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 09:39 AM

838 posts, read 764,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoore View Post
Another favor?

I 'repped' you and have repped others but when I do, it doesn't show (actually the rep box) doesn't close so I click the submit box again.

When I do that a popup says that I can only rep the same person once for the same post?
That's been happening to me for a long time.
I don't know what causes it, though.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:18 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,232,118 times
while they are likely snow guards, I think having them on the roof of a house as far south as VA is just an architechtural detail to mirror the look of new england style homes.

Perhaps the steep roof pitch requires those things as a building code in your area.

Old 09-04-2017, 03:07 PM

5,840 posts, read 5,251,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoore View Post
Another favor?

I 'repped' you and have repped others but when I do, it doesn't show (actually the rep box) doesn't close so I click the submit box again.

When I do that a popup says that I can only rep the same person once for the same post?

Can you see if my rep to you showed up?
I have no idea if this is normal or if it's a quirk of my browser?

You are not alone. I use Firefox and it happens to me, too.

Cat

Old 09-04-2017, 04:49 PM

1,743 posts, read 988,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Your home is so lovely, Claymoore.
Thank You!

I only hate it in the winter!

Since I live amongst the forest ... The leaves fall to a depth of four feet!

Old 09-04-2017, 04:56 PM

1,743 posts, read 988,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
while they are likely snow guards, I think having them on the roof of a house as far south as VA is just an architechtural detail to mirror the look of new england style homes.

Perhaps the steep roof pitch requires those things as a building code in your area.
I don't think so.

Look at my roof pitches.
(That siding has since been fixed)

Old 09-04-2017, 05:30 PM

14,417 posts, read 11,959,919 times
Did you see my post? Do you understand that they are there to prevent a slab of snow from coming off all at once, and hitting someone standing at the front (or back) of the house? Picture this.... a heavy slab of snow clinging to the side of the roof and you walk out in the morning and slam the door, causing a sudden tremor through the house. SWOOOOSH! It falls down.

Your house has a lower pitched porch roof that protects someone coming in/out of the house from getting hit by a fast moving slab of snow off the high pitch roof. That ~might~ be why your house doesn't need them. Good for you because I'm sure they would cause you to sell the house and move to Florida.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:41 PM

8,146 posts, read 6,887,580 times
I was in such anticipation of seeing the picture of the "things" on the roof.
The more I read through the post, the more morbidly curious I got.
I was imagining all manner of crazy things on these people's roof.

Then I clicked on the pic.
too funny.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:44 PM

8,146 posts, read 6,887,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
While ice cycles can be interesting and lovely with the sun streaming through while you look out your window, you certainly would rather have numerous small ones rather than a few really large ones that break off at the moment you are walking out the front door. Kerklunk! your time on this planet would possibly be over.
Quickly I whipped up some tears.

"wahhhh......There was this icicle... and it fell off the garage...and it hit me..
I tried to get out of the way!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House