Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 06:36 PM

1,235 posts, read 732,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
We recently purchased a home in a warm weather area in a competitive real estate market. High on our wish list was a stellar backyard pool...you know, one with a built in hot tub and water fall and stonework and a gorgeous patio with outdoor kitchen...the works!

Well we did find that, but the house fell far short of our wish list. It was over 1500 SF smaller than our then current house; the updates were done cheaply; the neighborhood was just so-so; the garage was small and storage was inadequate.

The house we ended up buying had everything on our wish list EXCEPT the pool. We bought a beautiful large home in a lovely neighborhood. The kitchen was just remodeled, the storage is amazing, everything is wonderful. But the pool is just a boring vinyl rectangle pool.

I know compromises have to be made. I know I am fortunate with what we bought. I know I should feel confident and happy and thankful with our decision, but I keep thinking about that other house/pool and wondering if we made the right choice. Maybe this is just my OCD driving me crazy.

Have you ever had second thoughts about which house you bought? How do I stop driving myself crazy?
Theoretically pools don't add value to your home. I don't have a clue about what it costs to install an ingrown or an above ground pool, but my home buying needs would never include a pool. What would be most important for me would be the "home itself."

If I thought later on, that I'd be in my home long enough ~ then I could install a pool if space allowed. Pools are nice, no doubt, but the house would be the primary deciding factor for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 09:08 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,234,310 times
I'm not sure I understand how a frequently-used grand piano is a 'storage' item....

And the kayak and the bikes don't necessarily need to be stored inside the house either. Get a shed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House