Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 09:21 AM

14,303 posts, read 11,692,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
Japanese pre suds their dishes and then hand rinse, to conserve water.
I lived in a six person house for five years and we never used the dishwasher.
Conserving is, of course, deep seated and engrained in Japanese culture.
Along with cleanliness.
Yeah, when I lived with a family in Japan, they ran water all the time like there was no tomorrow. I was the one who tried to use as little water as possible (being from chronically dry Southern California). They laughed at me. "There is plenty of water in Japan," they said.

Anyway, modern high-efficiency dishwashers wash more dishes with less water and less energy than hand-washing. The myth of conserving by hand-washing is just that, a myth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 09:27 AM

382 posts, read 513,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Anyway, modern high-efficiency dishwashers wash more dishes with less water and less energy than hand-washing. The myth of conserving by hand-washing is just that, a myth.
Modern "high efficiency" dishwashers also take like 4 hours to run a load of dishes too, so you're exchanging water (which is 100% renewable) for coal (which is not) precisely BECAUSE of places like SoCal...

I'm in Indiana. I have more fresh water that you could ever hope to use. I don't need the same coal factory dish washer that Californians do, but that's not what the fed's say...

Water conservation in about 80% of the US is just utter hogwash. I suppose to bring it around full circle, you'd be MUCH better off, as a whole, to hand wash all of your dishes versus an HE dishwasher.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:43 AM

14,303 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_is_here View Post
Modern "high efficiency" dishwashers also take like 4 hours to run a load of dishes too, so you're exchanging water (which is 100% renewable) for coal (which is not) precisely BECAUSE of places like SoCal...
My dishwasher takes just under 2 hours to run, not four. And while they may take longer than the old models, high-efficiency dishwasher use quite a bit less electricity along with less water. Wash your dishes by hand if you like, by all means, but why you should be annoyed that high-efficiency dishwashers use less power and less water is beyond me.

There is only one coal-fired power plant in my entire state, so if excessive coal usage is a problem where you live, clean your own house first before you pick on California.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:50 AM

382 posts, read 513,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
My dishwasher takes just under 2 hours to run, not four. And while they may take longer than the old models, high-efficiency dishwasher use quite a bit less electricity along with less water. Wash your dishes by hand if you like, by all means, but why you should be annoyed that high-efficiency dishwashers use less power and less water is beyond me.

There is only one coal-fired power plant in my entire state, so if excessive coal usage is a problem where you live, clean your own house first before you pick on California.
*MODERN machine.

The machines that Whirlpool was developing this time last year (which are all on the market now), when I worked for them, ran in 3 hours and 45 minutes... and that's what they got them DOWN to... and it's going to get worse too. They in no way use less electricity and how you could think that is possible is annoying TO ME. Ever read up on Energy Star standards? You should...

There's only one coal fired plant in your entire state because you import the vast majority of your electricity from Canada... guess what the power is made with?

Californians: Always better than everybody. Just ask one.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:01 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
The keys to getting really clean dishes out of the dishwasher are scraping them before putting them in the machine, loading them properly to ensure that the dirty surfaces are exposed to the jets, and using a liquid or gel dishwashing detergent. If you use tablets, toss them in the bottom of your dishwasher rather than putting them in the dispenser. Make sure your household water heater is at the appropriate temperature, too.

People think you can stick a plate encrusted with food in a dishwasher, but you really can't. A little sauce is fine. Chunks of food are not, even if the dishwasher salesman told you so. Every week, take the racks out of your dishwasher, clean the filter, check the seals, and ensure everything is in working order. Also, dig out your user manual, figure out what each cycle does, and learn how to load your model. Finally, pay attention to how you store your detergent. Keep the bottle or container tightly sealed to minimize oxidation of enzyme-based cleaners.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:26 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
*MODERN machine.

The machines that Whirlpool was developing this time last year (which are all on the market now), when I worked for them, ran in 3 hours and 45 minutes... and that's what they got them DOWN to... and it's going to get worse too. They in no way use less electricity and how you could think that is possible is annoying TO ME. Ever read up on Energy Star standards? You should...

There's only one coal fired plant in your entire state because you import the vast majority of your electricity from Canada... guess what the power is made with?

My newer dishwasher has a variety of cycles. I can choose a one-hour cycle if I need to get things done fast, and I can turn off the heat dry to save electricity. The issue where I live is more water than energy (I'm in the high plains), so I have adapted how I set my dishwasher to ensure I get clean dishes with the lowest environmental impact. I generally only handwash those items that require it, including knives, anything made of wood, crystal, silver, and some cookware. The dishwasher does a much better job of conserving water than I could ever do handwashing dishes.

Last edited by randomparent; 09-18-2017 at 10:44 AM..

Old 09-18-2017, 10:37 AM

10,019 posts, read 8,629,758 times
I had to replace my dishwasher. The new one works great, he even flosses the forks with a piece of string.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:38 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,760,161 times
No, never even considered it.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:42 AM

6,823 posts, read 10,516,715 times
No, never heard of such a thing, either.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:41 PM

24,529 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
*MODERN machine.

Mine runs from 75 minutes upwards depending on my needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House