Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 09:23 AM

2,336 posts, read 2,568,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
OMG. Well, that's a non-starter. The deck is only a few years old and in good shape. I just want a screen room; maybe one with plexi panels I could put up in wintertime to keep the wind from blowing through.
Your contractor can give you a much better idea. If the 4x4 posts are really only on blocks, that won't work to support an enclosure. Besides the added weight of the structure itself, you have to account for wind and snow loads, and uplift due to the roof. Depending on where you are, there might also be hurricane and/or earthquake considerations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 09:23 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,674,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post
A screened in porch ? Sure, not too hard. You're just talking about some 4 x 4 posts and some screen material, and some sort of roof assembly. If the deck can't support those things, then it can't support you!

Personally I love old-fashioned screened in porches. Remind me of summers at the lake as a kid. The more modern gazebos and awning are cute, but you they don't keep out the bugs. Screened porches also usually have enough of a roof to keep rain out so you can still sit outside and enjoy a summer rain, and if it's windy you don't have leaves and stuff blowing at you.
Thank you! I grew up in the Midwest and fondly remember the screened porch we had. It was the best place to be during a thunderstorm.

I think what I want is called a "screen room." I don't want to put in a solid floor or walls, just to enclose the space and keep out the rain, sun and bugs.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
Your contractor can give you a much better idea. If the 4x4 posts are really only on blocks, that won't work to support an enclosure. Besides the added weight of the structure itself, you have to account for wind and snow loads, and uplift due to the roof. Depending on where you are, there might also be hurricane and/or earthquake considerations.
Thanks for the reminders! I'm in the Sierra foothills, so no hurricanes, floods, snow or earthquakes. It's the periodic wildfires that keep our insurance premiums up.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:46 AM

723 posts, read 571,110 times
I had a huge TREX deck on my last house, and with the westward exposure, it was seriously too hot to ever use. Ended up installing a retractable awning, and that made all the difference! The awning was gorgeous and very cost-efficient. They are removable for winter and come in a variety of colors and patterns. Very elegant.

This is the one we used: Retractable Pergola Canopies & Awnings

Later when it came time to sell the house, I swear it was those beautiful awnings that helped to seal the deal. No one else in our neighborhood had anything like them at the time, about 10 years ago. I'm sure they are more popular now as people seem to want to spend more time outside.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:53 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
I think I would go the local contractor route as well . I always get quotes and such from two or three and go with the one I feel is going to do the best work and not take forever to do it . My neighbor just had someone do a bigger deck for them than what they had and the guy charged 3 thousand and the others wanted 5 thousand and they were going to take 3 months to do it to completion . The guy he finally went with had it done in a week . Just be careful and make sure they are licensed in case something happens and your home owners does not get hit with an accident claim , happens more often than you think . Good luck to you .

Old 09-22-2017, 01:10 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
We know very little about your situation, but suggest you don't go the flimsy route just to save money. The wind, weather and wear and tear take their toll on cheap stuff from the big box store and then you have no deck, are out your money, and something which was meant to be a place of relaxation becomes a source of stress and anger.

A good contractor will review what you have, lay out an idea which suits your needs, and provide a rough cost estimate to construct the project. If you decide to go ahead, he will provide you wthl a detailed plan, or have an architect draw up plans to which he will attach a detailed proposal including ALL materials and everything which will go into the deck from plans and permits to paint and finishes.

You should think along the lines of $75 to $125 per square foot, depending. To make a proper room with good quality glass windows which open in season to let the air in, put in HVAC and electricity, you are on the high end of my suggested cost estimate. On your large square footage, that puts your project around $37,500 Don't skimp and use plexiglas instead of proper windows which won't keep the room warm in winter; you will regret it forever. Do it right and the extra dollars will melt into satisfaction and pride for a lifetime.

TB

Old 09-22-2017, 02:09 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
I enclosed the deck built by the previous owner. He used 4x6 and 6x6 posts, 2x8 and 2x10 beams, and regular PT lumber, not Trex. The added walls are right over the existing beams. You are not talking about a lot of weight. I did a pretty minimal job of it at first, but we have added siding that matches the HardiePlank on the house, plastic sliding windows instead of screens, and a regular asphalt shingle roof. I have finished the interior walls with bead board planks which are very lightweight.
Trex has strength, but is more flexible than wood; design yours accordingly.

Last edited by Crashj007; 09-22-2017 at 02:10 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-22-2017, 08:11 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
Thank you! I grew up in the Midwest and fondly remember the screened porch we had. It was the best place to be during a thunderstorm.

I think what I want is called a "screen room." I don't want to put in a solid floor or walls, just to enclose the space and keep out the rain, sun and bugs.
I think the only thing you'll be able to put on your deck that will do this is an awning on a semipermanent frame with screened side panels which may be rigid framed. You'll also want to go underneath and add screening to keep bugs from coming up through the spaces in the decking. Depending on your climate the awning fabric would need to be replaced every 5-10 years. Talk to an awning company.

This one has more substantial walls than you need:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/24/33/76/2...ened-porch.jpg

Old 09-23-2017, 07:59 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Like has been said, you need a contractor. A deck on blocks is very different from a deck on poured footers sunk four feet and lagged to the sill. And it makes a huge different what you want to put on it. A simple shade structure or a screen porch or a full sun room with HVAC and electric. There's a full order of magnitude cost difference between those ends.

Old 09-23-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
We know very little about your situation, but suggest you don't go the flimsy route just to save money. The wind, weather and wear and tear take their toll on cheap stuff from the big box store and then you have no deck, are out your money, and something which was meant to be a place of relaxation becomes a source of stress and anger.

Thank you! Not planning on going the HD route.

A good contractor will review what you have, lay out an idea which suits your needs, and provide a rough cost estimate to construct the project. If you decide to go ahead, he will provide you wthl a detailed plan, or have an architect draw up plans to which he will attach a detailed proposal including ALL materials and everything which will go into the deck from plans and permits to paint and finishes.

I have asked my contractor to come & give me an estimate. Unfortunately, he is very good which means he is very much in demand. I'll let you know what he says.

You should think along the lines of $75 to $125 per square foot, depending. To make a proper room with good quality glass windows which open in season to let the air in, put in HVAC and electricity, you are on the high end of my suggested cost estimate. On your large square footage, that puts your project around $37,500 Don't skimp and use plexiglas instead of proper windows which won't keep the room warm in winter; you will regret it forever. Do it right and the extra dollars will melt into satisfaction and pride for a lifetime.

Oh Lord, I hope it isn't $37000! I was hoping more like $20,000. There is electricity already installed, and I don't want HVAC (our climate is mild enough that a roof should be sufficient to keep it habitable most of the time). I don't think I want glass windows, just screens, maybe with storm panels I could install in winter. Thank you for preparing me for the probable sticker shock!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
I enclosed the deck built by the previous owner. He used 4x6 and 6x6 posts, 2x8 and 2x10 beams, and regular PT lumber, not Trex. The added walls are right over the existing beams. You are not talking about a lot of weight. I did a pretty minimal job of it at first, but we have added siding that matches the HardiePlank on the house, plastic sliding windows instead of screens, and a regular asphalt shingle roof. I have finished the interior walls with bead board planks which are very lightweight.
Trex has strength, but is more flexible than wood; design yours accordingly.
Your project sounds very appealing, but I think is a bit more elaborate than what I want. My contractor may convince me otherwise though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I think the only thing you'll be able to put on your deck that will do this is an awning on a semipermanent frame with screened side panels which may be rigid framed. You'll also want to go underneath and add screening to keep bugs from coming up through the spaces in the decking. Depending on your climate the awning fabric would need to be replaced every 5-10 years. Talk to an awning company.

This one has more substantial walls than you need:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/24/33/76/2...ened-porch.jpg
Yes, this is very similar to what I have in mind, except I really want a solid roof, not an awning. I'm betting that more substantial supports will be needed for the roof anyway, so may be able to tie into them to bear any extra weight from the screen walls.

Thank you all for the replies & letting me know the options. I'll check back in after I talk with my contractor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House