Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2017, 12:06 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,006,772 times

Advertisements

We live in a new townhome, and have been here for about 9 months. In that time I've noticed a couple of spieders and other bugs creep in but a lot of centipedes lately. It's every couple of days now I seem to find one that's somehow crawled into the open (generally in the morning). What's the best way to keep these things away and are there any natural home remedies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 12:36 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
There is a thread on insect control: Do it yourself roach, flea, bedbug, spider and pest control

Old 09-25-2017, 07:22 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,670,073 times
Lightbulb Humidity control helps -- house centipede, like many other insects, needs a moist environment

House centipedes are predators; if you have a lot of fat & happy centipedes, you have a lot of bugs for them to eat. Eliminate the food source, and you'll stop seeing centipedes around. They prefer humid environments, so do what you can to reduce moisture.

House Centipedes are nighttime hunters, and don't like bright lights -- turn on the lights before you look to closely, and you will stop seeing them around

Old 09-25-2017, 12:39 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
House centipedes are predators; if you have a lot of fat & happy centipedes, you have a lot of bugs for them to eat. Eliminate the food source, and you'll stop seeing centipedes around. They prefer humid environments, so do what you can to reduce moisture.

House Centipedes are nighttime hunters, and don't like bright lights -- turn on the lights before you look to closely, and you will stop seeing them around
This.

I would also recommend a cat. Ours loves to hunt them in the basement and devour them.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:11 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,670,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I would also recommend a cat. Ours loves to hunt them in the basement and devour them.
The crunching sounds still haunt my dreams.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:40 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,232,871 times
Yes I too have a lot of house centipedes. Nothing worse than flipping on a light and seeing what looks like a feather scamper up the wall.

As others said, centipedes are 'good' bugs--they eat other bugs. So if you are seeing a lot of centipedes, it's probably because you have a nice food source of other bugs for them to feast on.

I don't have a natural solution--I use Ortho Home Defense around my house and that keeps the bugs away, including centipedes. I've found it to be pretty effective--after spraying I tend to find dead bugs for a few days around the baseboards that would presumably otherwise be scampering around in the dark without my knowledge. It works inside and out so you can spray to kill the bugs that are already inside, and spray outside to prevent new ones from coming in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House