U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2017, 05:38 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,231,199 times

Advertisements

Which air purifier models do you guys recommend? I did a search and didn't get much out of it - other than long thread arguments on whether HEPA filter costs are worth it.

Our family has very bad allergies and also very sensitive to cooking odors, so the well-designed charcoal filters do work well and actually do notice a difference. But it seems like many air purifiers with the "sponge" charcoal filters don't do anything. The charcoal filters with a honeycomb design with charcoal granules seem to work well. We are a huge Greek family and the kitchen cooking is out of control most of the time!

It seems like most of the medium range air purifiers cost around $200-300. Our neighbor has a "top of the line" model that she brags about which I just researched and it costs over $700! Can someone take a look at these and see which one would work well for a fairly large sized room? The most expensive one has a square feet rating of over 1500 square feet, so I guess that's where the extra cost comes in?

Even if it doesn't get rid of odors, there's nothing wrong with increasing air flow in the house and filtering out some big particles. I think we all know that indoor air is much dirtier than outdoor air.

Winix 5500-2 - $203
https://www.amazon.com/Winix-5500-2-...x+air+purifier

Levoit LV-PUR131 - $283
https://www.amazon.com/Purifier-Alle...t+air+purifier

Aeramax 300 -$200
https://www.amazon.com/AeraMax-Purif...ds=aeramax+300

AirMega 400s - $718
https://www.amazon.com/AIRMEGA-Smart...ega+400s&psc=1
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 07:44 PM

5,621 posts, read 13,014,408 times
The first 3 you have listed will be in the garbage dump in 3 years, maybe less. The "true" hepa filters that they are using are a joke at best. I have one and can tell you all about it. It leaves more dirt on the case of the unit than it filters. We use in the houses we build the Honeywell unit that fits under the HVAC. It also uses an ultraviolet light which will kill odors and germs. The other part of the filter is an electronic with a grid that attracts polarized particles. Works incredibly great. But you may not want to spend the bucks for one. Costs me about $1200.00 to add it to a unit. At home I have a free standing Honeywell unit that looks quite similar to the last one posted but mine blows out the front. We run it 24/7/365. I clean it once a month and it collects a lot of dirt and pet dander. We have a German Short Haired Pointer and Willie the cat. It's on about the same level as the last unit listed. Mine also uses a polarizing electronic grid and you can add a charcoal filter if you like but it cuts the air movement in half. When it comes to these units, I've found the hepa to be meaningless info these days. I'd suggest looking for a cleanable electronic unit with optional UV filtering. Get the largest one you can afford. The little cheapys have to run fast to do anything and make a bunch of noise. The large units can run at an idle, do a fabulous job at air filtration, and be church mouse quiet.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:37 AM

12,159 posts, read 10,333,551 times
I have a cheap purifier that I've been running for years. It was probably $100 and I change the filter ever 3-6 months. The filter is this maybe 1" thick thing and even after 6 months it doesn't look horrible. This is with it running 8 hours per night, every night. This tells me the thing isn't doing much, at all. Or worse, it's making things worse. Case in point: I have been waking up with a really stuffy nose/headaches the past few months. I decided to sleep without the purifier on one night and I woke up for the first time in months with a stuffy nose. I think the purifier was just throwing the dust around the room and filtering a very small portion of it. I'm sure you can find a good one but I'm of the opinion that the little one's are just junk.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:04 PM

3,478 posts, read 4,167,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Which air purifier models do you guys recommend?
I don't have one, but CR just did an article on the subject. Not sure if this is the same as what is in the printed magazine (which is where I read the article).
https://www.consumerreports.org/indo...r-air-quality/

Old 10-05-2017, 12:49 AM

7,072 posts, read 2,899,892 times
I bought a Rabbit Aire Bio GS 2.0 air purifier a couple of years ago when my asthma kicked up. Rabbit Aire has a pretty good reputation for the price range. It uses a combination of HEPA, charcoal, and particulate dust filters. Use it in a bedroom but also keep that door shut to limit how much new stuff gets cycled into the room every day. IMHO units like this are going to work better when they run continuously in a smaller area. Otherwise the rate of dust, pollen, dander, etc. constantly being introduced back into the air may cancel out the filter's attempts to clear them. Turning it off every day would probably mean it is constantly trying to catch up with the air. It did seem to help, as I have less asthma trouble at night and the filters definitely need cleaning each time maintenance is due. You'd have to read the company website to get the technical stats on what it clears, at what rate and room size, and what it doesn't. Does not reduce odors for example. It is extremely quiet.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-05-2017 at 01:01 AM..

Old 10-05-2017, 04:34 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,231,199 times
Just spoke with someone at work who owns an Austin Air Healthmate HM450 and it has 15 pounds of activated carbon to absorb gases and odors. Looks like the only one with more pounds of carbon is an Airpura. It's costs around $600. It's very simple and doesn't have many electronic "frills," timers or even sensors.

Yeah I figured the first 3 would only last a while, and seems like only the $500 and up units actually clean the air for more than 2-3 years.

Old 10-07-2017, 05:39 AM

1,443 posts, read 641,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Just spoke with someone at work who owns an Austin Air Healthmate HM450 and it has 15 pounds of activated carbon to absorb gases and odors. Looks like the only one with more pounds of carbon is an Airpura. It's costs around $600. It's very simple and doesn't have many electronic "frills," timers or even sensors.

Yeah I figured the first 3 would only last a while, and seems like only the $500 and up units actually clean the air for more than 2-3 years.
IQair has about the same amount of activated carbon and is recommended by the American Lung Association. The units are expensive and are gigantic eyesores though. I have two. Replacement filters are quite expensive too. Alternatively, you could install a whole-house unit but they probably aren't quite as effective.

You should make sure you're keeping your place clean and vacuuming with a high quality HEPA vacuum also.

Last edited by PGH423; 10-07-2017 at 06:04 AM..

Old 10-25-2017, 03:52 PM

31 posts, read 18,919 times
Came across so many air purifier threads during a search. Half of the family in our house has asthma and very sensitive to dust. Now there's no way to get rid of dust completely, but does an expensive air purifier lessen dust? Most dust in the house is the result of dead skin cells, is that correct? If you watch videos on youtube and other places, that Austin Healthmate mentioned above was used at Ground Zero after 9/11, to clean up the dust and particulates in the air. So that must make a good difference in our house, wouldn't it?

Old 10-25-2017, 03:59 PM

2,220 posts, read 1,094,492 times
[quote=NOVAAudi;49930752] Most dust in the house is the result of dead skin cells, is that correct?/quote]

No, that's something that people like to say, but it's not true. If you give it some real thought, you'll realize that it isn't true, but here's an article about it anyway.

https://www.livescience.com/32337-is...dead-skin.html

"Humans do shed dead skin, but most of it is carried away by water when we shave or bathe, ending up not on our floors but in our sewers."

Much of the dust in my house is from toilet paper, which I can see very easily on the dark floor in the bathroom, right under the toilet paper holder. Also, other paper products, like paper towels in the kitchen, and dust/dirt tracked into the hallway, and dust from outside every time a door or window is opened, etc.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:27 AM

1,705 posts, read 883,842 times
They do work. Our son smoked and his linger aroma would get my eyes tearing. He smoked outside but carried all that smell inside. We picked up some purifier from Target. It worked great - It really helped.

Best way to get rid of dust -
Throw out your carpets and put in hard floors, something easy to sweep and clean.
I'd also say declutter and less dusting.
Get your A/C ducts cleaned. There's probably mold and dust sitting in them.
Don't be a horder. !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House