Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 07:01 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,272,408 times

Advertisements

I also have a set of china that was my great grandmother's. I'm not really sure how old it is but i am almost 55 so I am guessing 125 years or so...I have it boxed up and have for many years...I do have a pitcher and serving platter her in the house because I like to look at them now and again.

I also have MY own set of Noritake that we received when we married, which of course is now discontinued. Never use it. Also have my late mother in law's set that my husband bought her when he was in Korea during the Vietnam War (also Noritake). Boxed up, don't use it. Gave it to one of the sons when he married, marriage lasted a year, she was a bigamist, so we got the china back. Now I feel that china is tainted, the other son is engaged not giving it him, no way.

Anyway, If you are a sentimental gal like myself I would probably hang onto it. You might check and see what it's actually worth to a collector or ebay. Maybe your great grandma would want you to pocket some major change if it's worth that. I think I am going to do the same, check online. Especially the mother in laws..I don't even like it..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 10:32 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,431,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
I'm with Red on this one... save some special pieces (maybe a cup/saucer and a place setting from the silverware) - maybe one set per child you have (or nieces) and let the rest go.
I wouldn't split up the set, that seems pointless, you can't even use it that way. I would store it and someday you might want it. I have also successfully blended more then one kind of china before. It doesn't take that much space to store and I can tell you, I doubt you would get that much money for the china.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
But there's a difference between an actual heirloom and something that's just old and common.
I have to disagree here. I have plenty of things that some might look at as just OLD. I have a chair and some smaller bookcases that belonged to my Grandmother. I would rather have them then something newer or nicer. What makes it an heirloom to me is that it belonged to my Grandmother.

I even have an old set of dishes, they are VERY chipped. Most people would throw them away but they belonged to my Grandmother and are easily 80 years old. I have saved them for when I make stepping stones, I am going to break them up and tile the top of the pre-made stepping stones and then grout them like you do with tile.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:07 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,380,870 times
A variety of options. Your choice. You can check Replacements, Ltd. to see if your china is valuable and you'd rather have the money. I like the idea of saving one piece to display, such as a platter or cup/saucer. Or, just use it everyday.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
A variety of options. Your choice. You can check Replacements, Ltd. to see if your china is valuable and you'd rather have the money. I like the idea of saving one piece to display, such as a platter or cup/saucer. Or, just use it everyday.
Replacements is a great place to check and see how much it costs to get additional pieces but NO WAY are you going to get those prices selling it yourself.

Check on Ebay to see what its being sold for and if you have antique shops in your area, they might have an idea.

If you have sterling silver flatware, that can be sold based on weight because its a precious metal.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:06 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,673,900 times
If you do decide to sell it why not donate to a fund or charity in her name, or contact a nursing home to see if they need a special piece of equipment or a bench in a park, that way you will share her with many others and her story will be passed on? god bless

Old 03-18-2008, 09:19 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,899,648 times
Littledog why don't you do a little research and find out its value and if you do decide to sell it, use the money to buy something for yourself that you really want as a keepsake of your great grandmother?

I've just recently had several fine china pieces willed to me by my grandmother but fortunately they can stay in their china cabinets at her house for the time being. I'm really not sure what I will do with them once that is no longer an option. I adore them, and I'm thrilled she left them to me, but we are tight on space here too and I'm worried about where to store them safely and how often I'll use them. Just can't bring myself to think of parting with them though because her and I used to have the most wonderful dinner parties and afternoon teas using them.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Littledog why don't you do a little research and find out its value and if you do decide to sell it, use the money to buy something for yourself that you really want as a keepsake of your great grandmother?

I've just recently had several fine china pieces willed to me by my grandmother but fortunately they can stay in their china cabinets at her house for the time being. I'm really not sure what I will do with them once that is no longer an option. I adore them, and I'm thrilled she left them to me, but we are tight on space here too and I'm worried about where to store them safely and how often I'll use them. Just can't bring myself to think of parting with them though because her and I used to have the most wonderful dinner parties and afternoon teas using them.
You know what I have done, I put my breakables in the attic. I wrapped them really well and figured the humidity in the attic wasn't going to hurt them and it didn't. Living in Florida there are only so many things that can take that kind of temperature and humidity.

Maybe your Grandmother will give you the china cabinet as well?

I like to hang plates on the wall instead of pictures, I have alot of them hung up like that, not the sets we use to eat off of but other plates that I really like.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:42 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,899,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
You know what I have done, I put my breakables in the attic. I wrapped them really well and figured the humidity in the attic wasn't going to hurt them and it didn't. Living in Florida there are only so many things that can take that kind of temperature and humidity.

Maybe your Grandmother will give you the china cabinet as well?

I like to hang plates on the wall instead of pictures, I have alot of them hung up like that, not the sets we use to eat off of but other plates that I really like.
Thanks Lindsey. We don't have an attic, so that's out. I suspect I'll have to wrap them carefully and store them in airtight containers under the bed eventually, although there's not a lot of space there either. I'm really not sure what the situation is with the china cabinets. I'm not sure they were mentioned in the will. Possibly my family would have no objection to me having one of the china cabinets. I guess I can always buy one, although I'm not sure where it would fit. For now they can stay at my Gran's because my special needs aunt still lives there so it won't be a problem for quite a while hopefully.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:51 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,058,158 times
Keep it. Even if you only unwrap one cup once every 10 years to remind you of your family, you will have a connection to your past that is substantial and important - that kind of set would have meant a great deal to your grandma.

How about you write a note about what it means to you, what it reminds you of, who originally owned it etc., and even add a photo or two, then pack it all up together for posterity.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Thanks Lindsey. We don't have an attic, so that's out. I suspect I'll have to wrap them carefully and store them in airtight containers under the bed eventually, although there's not a lot of space there either. I'm really not sure what the situation is with the china cabinets. I'm not sure they were mentioned in the will. Possibly my family would have no objection to me having one of the china cabinets. I guess I can always buy one, although I'm not sure where it would fit. For now they can stay at my Gran's because my special needs aunt still lives there so it won't be a problem for quite a while hopefully.
That sounds like a good idea but I don't think its necessary to use an airtight container although something that can't be dented in is always a good idea. I also wrap things in bubble wrap.

I have one large china cabinet and two smaller ones. I admit I am kind of obsessed by dishes. I could serve an army with the number of dishes I have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House