Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 11:42 PM

2,596 posts, read 2,147,674 times

Advertisements

I had another thought about the noise. One of our bedrooms is at the end of a run of ductwork and is not efficient. We had a booster fan installed to help, it did help a little but the fan is not very quiet and started to make more noise so we removed it. Maybe there is a bad one is your air duct, or something in the ducts that makes noise or has gone bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 11:20 PM

205 posts, read 277,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Three things come to mind.
  • Refrigerator compressor motor.
  • Basement sump pump.
  • HVAC condensation pump - but probably not, if you can feel a slight vibration.

In which room does the humming feel most prevalent?
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
What's below the floor?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
I had another thought about the noise. One of our bedrooms is at the end of a run of ductwork and is not efficient. We had a booster fan installed to help, it did help a little but the fan is not very quiet and started to make more noise so we removed it. Maybe there is a bad one is your air duct, or something in the ducts that makes noise or has gone bad.
thanks everyone for your input so far..... so our house is pier and beam foundation and no basement like most houses in the area so really there isn't too much beneath the house. it kinda starts out like a motor is about to start. the room that I hear it the most has the HVAC unit right outside but when I hear the noise starting, I don't see anything happening with the HVAC. Could it be related to the air filters?

Old 10-19-2017, 11:24 PM

4,560 posts, read 5,611,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Go to your panel and start throwing breakers until either all of them are off, or the noise stops. Assuming it stops.. Look at the last breaker you turned off.
That's the best way to isolate the source. Then you just need to figure out what is on that breaker.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:35 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,759,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kretsch View Post
Not sure where to post this but hopefully you guys are able to help being that I am quite the newbie when it comes to house issues. Recently moved to a house in Dallas that was constructed in 1950s. Have noticed over the past couple of weeks that there is a humming noise that comes on and off every 10-15 minutes. At first, we did not notice it but now it has become more noticeable. I don't think its related to HVAC. It is most noticable in one particular room and you can feel a slight vibration in the floor. Any guesses??
Is there an attic fan to remove hot air near that room? Or a fan located in the crawlspace below the room to move fresh air in? If it’s electrical you should be able to isolate that at the power panel and then rechecking inside the house to see if after a time period it stopped.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:56 PM

4,153 posts, read 4,394,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kretsch View Post
thanks everyone for your input so far..... so our house is pier and beam foundation and no basement like most houses in the area so really there isn't too much beneath the house. it kinda starts out like a motor is about to start. the room that I hear it the most has the HVAC unit right outside but when I hear the noise starting, I don't see anything happening with the HVAC. Could it be related to the air filters?

I don't think the filters would cause the noise it would seem to be most likely an electrical motor based moving part so set yourself up in the areas where it is most noticeable for a half hour meditating/reading.

First, do the panel breaker test suggested to see if you can isolate it as electrically based.

Second from your description and frequency it sounds like an HVAC blower / handler related issue (i.e. the cycling) it could be bearings going bad. You likely won't see anything happening with HVAC as these components are enclosed in housing.

Third the vibration could be caused by settling of the pier and beam construction and also if the HVAC (one of heaviest housing components) was not placed on stable part of the foundation or that part of foundation shifted slightly. If this is case you can contact companies that specialize in making repairs.

https://hdfoundationrepair.com/six-c...m-foundations/

Old 10-20-2017, 12:32 AM

1,957 posts, read 1,553,667 times
Water heater possibly. They can generate a noise when turning on to reheat the water. If you have no basement, the water heater could be located behind a panel next to a closet in the room where you here the vibration. This is common in older homes.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:34 AM

30,702 posts, read 79,379,373 times
Most likely a motor.

Washing machine.
Dryer
Sump Pump. Sewer Pump
Fridge
Ice Machine
AC compressor
Garbage disposal
Trash compactor

Being it is intermittent, my guess would be a sump pump if you have one. If that is what it is, there is not problem, it is just working as it should.

Next most likely - a child's toy left on.

Unless your hearing is incredibly sensitive it is unlikely you can hear anything caused by wiring if you are nto tripping breakers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House