U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2017, 03:39 PM

1,120 posts, read 815,589 times

Advertisements

Say I'm sitting in my bedroom with the windows and hall door closed. I can still hear a dog barking from across the street. Typically, where does most of this sound enter the room? Is it through the windows, walls, or ceiling? I need to figure out where to add some soundproofing. My home is brick, and I have blown insulation in the attic.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 03:48 PM

1,563 posts, read 941,455 times
probably all in your head.

or its cause you left a window open a lot of sound comes from windows

Old 10-24-2017, 03:52 PM

3,704 posts, read 9,095,596 times
How old is the house and what kind of windows? We replaced the original single pane windows in our house and it makes a world of difference. We live about a mile from an elevated highway and the new windows do a great job of blocking the noise.

Old 10-24-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
How old is the house and what kind of windows? We replaced the original single pane windows in our house and it makes a world of difference. We live about a mile from an elevated highway and the new windows do a great job of blocking the noise.

Fifty year old house with single pane windows plus glass storm windows.

Old 10-24-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papichulo2 View Post

Here's a site you need to check out. It's designed to improve your reading comprehension.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE][SIZE=3]http://www.englishmaven.org/Pages/Reading%20Comprehension.htm[/SIZE]

Old 10-24-2017, 05:48 PM

912 posts, read 550,708 times
I'd agree it's most likely the windows. You could try some heavy drapes and see if that helps any. New windows are expensive and still may not solve the problem. Anything that can absorb some of the noise will help, like rugs/carpet, fabric wall hangings, even specialty sound absorbing panels.

Unfortunately, chasing noise issues cost money. Maybe have a talk with the dog owner?

Old 10-24-2017, 05:58 PM

33,549 posts, read 51,767,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
Say I'm sitting in my bedroom with the windows and hall door closed. I can still hear a dog barking from across the street. Typically, where does most of this sound enter the room? Is it through the windows, walls, or ceiling? I need to figure out where to add some soundproofing. My home is brick, and I have blown insulation in the attic.
Great explanation here:
Soundproofing a room | Science of noise reduction

Old 10-24-2017, 06:04 PM

33,549 posts, read 51,767,813 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by papichulo2 View Post

Old 10-24-2017, 07:57 PM

11,304 posts, read 5,834,479 times
Quote:
Fifty year old house with single pane windows plus glass storm windows.
It's probably passing right through the brick. Single pane windows with storms aren't helping much, either.

When I gutted my house, it was framed with used 2x8's turned the wrong direction and padded to make a 4" wall cavity that was insulated with cellulose batts. 8" of wood makes a really good thermal bridge and sound bridge. If a neighbor was cutting their lawn, it sounded like the lawnmower was in my living room. I ripped that out, re-framed and insulated properly, and the noise problem went away without doing anything to the windows.

You need to decouple the brick from the drywall. If it's brick and 2x4 with 1960's insulation, remove the drywall, nail horizontal 1.5"x1.5" crosshatch, insulate, and screw the drywall into the horizontal crosshatch. It's often called a Mooney Wall.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:58 PM

1,667 posts, read 689,716 times
It is the windows. I am an extremely light sleeper and I know exactly what you're talking about. We have a pool behind our house and we can hear the loud party music, the talking, and carrying on in the master bedroom.

I went to Amazon looking at sound proofing solutions. Then I considered the cost and decided to let my hubby handle it. He bought some pegboard from someplace like Home Depot, cut it to size, and screwed down the planks over my windows. He didn't even paint it. This deadened the sound both in the bedroom and what I heard from outside. It also darkened the room. I had curtains that covered the planked up windows. I had these up for a good 18 months. It worked great.

It was a great solution until the room started smelling mildewy. Yup, had to take them all down and clean the windows. Then I decided to leave them off -- I'm tolerating the noise better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House